7+ Year Old Account

Trump, May discuss Russia sanctions, future of NATO and Brexit in talks

President Trump declined Friday to say if he supported a reduction in sanctions against Russia in advance of his scheduled call with Russian President Vladimir Putin Saturday.

Trump's comments came in a news conference with British Prime Minister Theresa May in the White House's East Room, which followed the president's first official meeting with a foreign leader.

Their meeting focused, the two leaders said, on topics that included trade, the British withdrawal from the European Union, the future of the NATO military alliance, and Russia.

“The special relationship between our two counties has been one of the greatest forces in history for justice and peace," Trump told reporters after the hour-long meeting with the British prime minister — "and, by the way, my mother was born in Scotland."

May gave a much longer opening statement lauding U.S.-U.K. cooperation on trade, defense, and terrorism. The prime minister added that she had extended an invitation from Queen Elizabeth for Trump to make a state visit to London this year, “and I’m delighted to say he has accepted.”

May praised Trump for his "stunning" election win, and said the president made a "100% commitment" to NATO. The prime minister also dismissed a question about skepticism of Trump in Great Britain and Europe, telling reporters she had a constructive talk with him: "I've been listening to the president, and the president has been listening to me."

On Russia, Trump declined to say whether he supported lifting sanctions on Putin's government; adding that he hoped to "have a great relationship with all countries, ideally.” May said Russia needed to live up to its commitments on Ukraine.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...exit/97131230/
    Last edited by Kontinuum; 2017-01-27 at 07:02 PM.

On Russia, Trump declined to say whether he supported lifting sanctions on Putin's government; adding that he hoped to "have a great relationship with all countries, ideally.” May said Russia needed to live up to its commitments on Ukraine.
    What about Mexico and China?

Well he didn't grab her, that's a start.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    General Mattis forced Trump to backpedal regarding NATO and torture and Theresa May used to opportunity to push him back even further.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    What about Mexico and China?
    Not even one word besides "I talked with the Mexican President on the phone".

Haha, so May thinks she's on eye level with Trump? Cute. The best vassal is one that doesn't realise they are a subordinate.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Haha, so May thinks she's on eye level with Trump? Cute. The best vassal is one that doesn't realise they are a subordinate.
    It was actually the opposite. May had Trump on her hand, forcing him to tell stuff like "100% behind NATO".

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Will someone teach him about it before he discusses it with others? Or will it just be another tremendous conversation.

/jesus-he's-so-embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    It was actually the opposite. May had Trump on her hand, forcing him to tell stuff like "100% behind NATO".
    Rofl, that's even funnier. Britain getting their will based on past glory yet again.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even one word besides "I talked with the Mexican President on the phone".
    He mentioned China in passing, alongside Russia, as one of the countries he hopes to have great relations with at 7:20.

It was mostly fluff and Trump shoehorning the word 'great' into every sentence, as you'd expect, but the parts about NATO and how much he dislikes the EU were interesting, seems like the EU will have an uphill struggle with any EU-US trade negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    He mentioned China in passing, alongside Russia, as one of the countries he hopes to have great relations with at 7:20.
    If he wanted great relations with China then he already shot himself in the foot.

Deleted

It was mostly fluff and Trump shoehorning the word 'great' into every sentence, as you'd expect, but the parts about NATO and how much he dislikes the EU were interesting, seems like the EU will have an uphill struggle with any EU-US trade negotiations.
    Since Trump is half British this is looking good for the UK, a big fuck you to all those that wished ill on the UK for voting for Brexit.

It was mostly fluff and Trump shoehorning the word 'great' into every sentence, as you'd expect,
    What made me angry was we had a bet during the inauguration speech of how many times he would say great. I predicted 107 and he said it 4 times. He's completely unreliable! Impeach!

Deleted
    It was mostly fluff and Trump shoehorning the word 'great' into every sentence
    "Great", "fantastic" and "relationship". But, yeah, it was mostly fluff. Besides the NATO part, we got nothing new from today's press conference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Since Trump is half British this is looking good for the UK, a big fuck you to all those that wished ill on the UK for voting for Brexit.
    The fact that May was the first foreign leader to meet with Trump is significant, not sure how much old Liz will like him when he comes to our place for the return match, though he will probably love all the palace decor.

- - - Updated - - -

"Great", "fantastic" and "relationship". But, yeah, it was mostly fluff. Besides the NATO part, we got nothing new from today's press conference.
    You can tell it was more of a sounding out each others position kind of meeting, to see what they agree on, what they disagree on and what they don't care about, such as Britain not giving a shit about US-Mexico relations.

7+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps after he has made America great again, we could borrow him as our Prime Minister.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Perhaps after he has made America great again, we could borrow him as our Prime Minister.
    Another Scotsman as PM? The last 2 from there are pretty much hated.

7+ Year Old Account
    Another Scotsman as PM? The last 2 from there are pretty much hated.
    Well it might be the only way to get rid of the SNP, that's the only reason the last 2 were from there. The Scots will never vote for an English anything.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Slander. I didn't meet no Trump!

On a serious note, she sounds like a professor emeritus talking to an elementary school kid, next to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.