Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Red face Second vote on Scottish independence getting more likely

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...kely-1.2949855

On June 24th, just hours after the confirmation of the Brexit result, Nicola Sturgeon addressed the press at Bute House in Edinburgh. Flanked by the starry European Union standard and the blue-and-white Saltire, the Scottish first minister said that a second referendum on independence was “highly likely” after a large majority of Scots voted to remain in the EU.

On Tuesday, Sturgeon returned once more to the theme of a second independence vote. The need for another referendum was, the Scottish National Party (SNP) leader said, becoming “ever clearer” in the wake of the supreme court ruling that the UK government does not have to consult the devolved Scottish parliament before triggering article 50.

Another referendum is not a given – earlier this month, Sturgeon ruled out holding one this year – but the clamour for a second vote is likely to grow.

Scottish nationalists have promised to put forward 50 amendments to the Brexit Bill in the Commons but few, if any, of these proposals are likely to pass.

Brexit has changed the political dynamic, on both sides of the Anglo-Scottish border. Back in July, then newly minted prime minister Theresa May said she was “willing to listen to options” on Scotland’s relationship with the EU.

In the months since, however, the Conservative leader has shown little desire to appease Scottish concerns. May’s “red, white and blue” Brexit envisages all of the UK leaving the EU on the same terms – anathema to many in Edinburgh, and in Belfast, too.

Westminster feels confident that Sturgeon will not call another referendum – or, if she does, that the nationalists will lose. Opinion polls show support for independence has barely shifted since 2014 when 55 per cent of Scots voted to stay in the

The nationalist’s shared sovereignty vision of “independence in Europe” is not universally popular. Between a third and a quarter of SNP supporters voted Leave in June. While some Scottish Europhiles who opposed independence in 2014 have switched sides, as many have gone in the opposite direction.

But the prime minister’s confidence could yet prove misplaced. Brexit has made Scottish independence more attractive politically, if not economically. The unionist case is increasingly based on low oil prices, hardly conducive to a sense of shared identity.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...kely-1.2949855

It's great that Scotland could get another chance at freedom and independence this soon after the last vote. Let's hope they don't screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's great that Scotland could get another chance at freedom and independence this soon after the last vote. Let's hope they don't screw it up.
    You're Canadian, why do you care if Scotland leaves? I think they're free right now.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You're Canadian, why do you care if Scotland leaves? I think they're free right now.
    They don't have control of their monetary policy.

Scoexit? scexit? If the people don't want to stay, they should be free to leave.

7+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Canada should welcome them with open arms and open hearts!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Maybe Canada should welcome them with open arms and open hearts!
    They already have their own land. They just freedom to make their own decisions. It's 2017.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was against Scottish independence before, but i would support it more now as Scotland wishes to remain a member of the EU, and they clearly cannot do that any longer whilst a member of the UK.
    dragonmaw - EU

She is unlikely to get it and even if she did she will fail again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    If she did get it, its got a lot more chance of winning this time. Scotland was a lot more pro EU than the rest of the UK (aside from London afaik), its likely Scotland would vote to leave the UK if they were guaranteed EU membership.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The Brexit is probably changing some minds.

*sigh* I can't even interpret this anymore...
    Scotland wants to go "independent" by joining the EU...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    They already have their own land. They just freedom to make their own decisions. It's 2017.
    Bless your consistent ignorance

Personally I am not convinced the majority of Scotland want independence 62% voted to remain in the EU, that doesn't translate to pro independence

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

Personally I am not convinced the majority of Scotland want independence 62% voted to remain in the EU, that doesn't translate to pro independence
    It certainly isn't clear cut. I voted no in the first referendum, but now I am not so sure. However there will be those who voted yes, who also voted to leave the EU.

I hate this freedom pish- we are free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Doesn't hurt to try. Besides it will make for interesting discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

They want to stay in the EU*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

Wait till we're a few months into Brexit. When the wheels are falling off, Scotlanders will want out.

Scotland wants to be independent from England, and remain in the EU, which despite of all the Eurosceptic narrative is neither undemocratic or oppressive or evil or useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Scotland wants to be independent from England, and remain in the EU, which despite of all the Eurosceptic narrative is neither undemocratic or oppressive or evil or useless.
    How does this translate to remaining in the UK...as a whole? Because that still needs to be maintained, no?

It seems reasonable given the circumstances.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    How does this translate to remaining in the UK...as a whole? Because that still needs to be maintained, no?
    No, why should it?