Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's a ludicrous opinion, how on earth is it a good thing that people should distrust their government? Should the populace hold an adversarial relationship with the people whom they elect? Do you believe that is the basis for a strong and functional democracy/republic?

Spoilers, this is a bigger move towards corporatism. Capitalism requires regulations in modern society, unregulated capitalism doesn't work and is the whole reason that many of these regulations were implemented to begin with.
    It's a fine line to walk. Skepticism and opposition in government is good. You WANT there to be a strong opposition party, otherwise you run into a tyranny of the majority.

The problem that the US has run into, is that the republican opposition somehow evolved into 'We don't want the government to work at all'. That's not opposition in policy, that's borderline sociopathy. Plus, it's political easymode. The easiest thing to do as a politician, is to arrange the government so that it doesn't accomplish anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    On topic: I'm willing to say that there are probably federal regulations by executive agencies we don't need. My question: why not just remove them on their own merit?

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    He just talked with Russia yesterday about combining our strategies to end Isis. Working with Russia in that region is a huge step forward in and of itself regardless of what the media is saying. It means a much less likelihood of actually going to war with Russia which is the plan both Obama and Hillary were promoting in that region. I much prefer a president who thinks Russia can be an ally rather than one who is calling its leader Hitler and trying to start war with the second most powerful military in the world over who runs Syria.
    Russia would have never declared a war on the US, that's just scaremongering.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    It's for small businesses.

Are you guys pro-corporations and pro-monopoly?
    Stop with this bullshit. The GOP has been anti small business at the federal level for as long as I can remember. They talk a big game put do nothing but protect big business from competition. The encourage and approve of large mergers and takeovers instead of trying to break up the over large firms. They have done nothing to help the mom and pop shops that get devastated by the Walmart and others. The republicans on the gang of six, did nothing but make the ACA worse for small businesses instead of trying to make it better for them. The list goes on and on.

This has nothing to do with small business. This has to do with the mega corporations that wasn't to get away with even more murder to the environment and workers safety and rights.

- - - Updated - - -

He just talked with Russia yesterday about combining our strategies to end Isis. Working with Russia in that region is a huge step forward in and of itself regardless of what the media is saying. It means a much less likelihood of actually going to war with Russia which is the plan both Obama and Hillary were promoting in that region. I much prefer a president who thinks Russia can be an ally rather than one who is calling its leader Hitler and trying to start war with the second most powerful military in the world over who runs Syria.
    You mean the same Russia that Obama tried to combine strategy with in Syria and the ME and the GOP and the military leaders said no, that's not a good Idea. Now that Trump is there it's a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Russia would have never declared a war on the US, that's just scaremongering.
    Most wars don't happen due to one side declaring war. They often happen over nothing more than escalations of violence. Am I saying it would result in outright full scale nuclear war between us? No. Could it lead to us forces being deployed against Russian forces in the middle east? That is quite possible and where it could go from there is difficult to say. People love to say 'it could never happen here' as a reference to America becoming a fascist state but the same applies to nuclear war. It could never happen until it actually does and then its too late. Hillary was very much a warmonger in terms of her foreign policy views. Trump at the very least understands we can ally with Russia on certain things.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    On topic: I'm willing to say that there are probably federal regulations by executive agencies we don't need. My question: why not just remove them on their own merit?
    This happens every year actually, whenever a budget is being worked on. During the budget process, pretty much EVERYTHING that the government spends money on, has to justify itself. Ones that don't, get cut and the money spent on something else. The supposed impotence comes from the fact that each member of the House of Representatives gets a say in the budget, and all of them have different priorities on which regulations/actions are considered priority, and which ones are superfluous. So while you might think a regulation regarding say, snowmobile helmets might be ridiculous because you live in Miami, someone in Anchorage probably thinks that money going into everglades conservation is equally worthless.

That's a ludicrous opinion, how on earth is it a good thing that people should distrust their government? Should the populace hold an adversarial relationship with the people whom they elect? Do you believe that is the basis for a strong and functional democracy/republic?

Spoilers, this is a bigger move towards corporatism. Capitalism requires regulations in modern society, unregulated capitalism doesn't work and is the whole reason that many of these regulations were implemented to begin with.
    I don't know. Sometimes I get the feeling most of the regulations that get passed are the type that only big business can afford while it squeezes out competition from independent and small businesses.

It's kind of hard to have both immense regulations and competitive marketplace when only a select few corporations can shoulder the economic burden of all these regulations.

/Tin-foil hat off.

Both political parties have but the needs of their campaign financiers above their citizens, I didn't say it's a good thing, but it's definitely the smart thing.

Quote Originally Posted by javen View Post
    It's a fine line to walk. Skepticism and opposition in government is good. You WANT there to be a strong opposition party, otherwise you run into a tyranny of the majority.

The problem that the US has run into, is that the republican opposition somehow evolved into 'We don't want the government to work at all'. That's not opposition in policy, that's borderline sociopathy. Plus, it's political easymode. The easiest thing to do as a politician, is to arrange the government so that it doesn't accomplish anything.
    Been the GOP plan since Regan got into office. Make the government not work then blame the other side after they get booted from office so they can get back in power to do nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    You mean the same Russia that Obama tried to combine strategy with in Syria and the ME and the GOP and the military leaders said no, that's not a good Idea. Now that Trump is there it's a good idea?
    The same GOP that still wants nothing to do with Russia. Only donny boy and his fans want to team up with Russia for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Stop with this bullshit. The GOP has been anti small business at the federal level for as long as I can remember. They talk a big game put do nothing but protect big business from competition. The encourage and approve of large mergers and takeovers instead of trying to break up the over large firms. They have done nothing to help the mom and pop shops that get devastated by the Walmart and others. The republicans on the gang of six, did nothing but make the ACA worse for small businesses instead of trying to make it better for them. The list goes on and on.

This has nothing to do with small business. This has to do with the mega corporations that wasn't to get away with even more murder to the environment and workers safety and rights.

- - - Updated - - -

If you honestly believe that you weren't paying attention to his foreign policy moves for his entire second term. The same Kerry who actually compared Putin to Hitler multiple times in public statements. Obama was too busy propping up his rebels in Syria to ever seriously consider working with Russia. This is the same us admin that wanted to be part of the cease fire then after Russia brought them into negotiations promptly shelled the hell out of a pro Assad battalion of troops until Russia called them to ask wth they were doing then Obama's reply was 'sorry, we thought those were Isis troops' when they were stationed outside the city Isis controlled which allowed Isis troops to escape. Obama had zero credibility when it came to working with Russia in that region. The gop doesn't like Russia either but Trump getting elected took most of the wind out of the McCain group's sails so now the gop is getting behind the WH.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2017-01-30 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    The same GOP that still wants nothing to do with Russia. Only donny boy and his fans want to team up with Russia for some reason.
    What reason could that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    I don't know. Sometimes I get the feeling most of the regulations that get passed are the type that only big business can afford while it squeezes out competition from independent and small businesses.

It's kind of hard to have both immense regulations and competitive marketplace when only a select few corporations can shoulder the economic burden of all these regulations.

/Tin-foil hat off.
    I was listening to a panel about regulations a few weeks back, and there was a study quoted that said there was a net positive economical gain attributed to all the regulations despite what is being said by the what I would like to call business scaremongers. I will try toi find what it was later If I have the time, but that claim was not challenged and the lady was the only liberal on the panel of 4.

- - - Updated - - -

If you honestly believe that you weren't paying attention to his foreign policy moves for his entire second term. The same Kerry who actually compared Putin to Hitler multiple times in public statements. Obama was too busy propping up his rebels in Syria to ever seriously consider working with Russia. This is the same us admin that wanted to be part of the cease fire then after Russia bringing them into negotiations promptly shelled the hell out of a pro Assad battalion of troops until Russia called them to ask wth they were doing then Obama's reply was 'sorry, we thought those were Isis troops' when they were stationed outside the city Isis controlled.
    I know what happened and is going on. I just find it sad that this was proposed already and shot down.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I don't mind it. I mean let's face it, our regulation system is bloated and expensive as fuck, doing away with the outdated and useless regulations to introduce new and necessary regulation is far better than just keep the bloated system even more ¿"bloaty-er"?
    It's more appropriate to review the bloat and discard the outdated, rather than treat the system like a drinking game.

One step forward and two steps back...

This is silly an arbitrary. If there are regulations that are unnecessary then remove them specifically. Always removing 2 when a new one is added means we'll end up stripping regulations that are needed.

If you honestly believe that you weren't paying attention to his foreign policy moves for his entire second term. The same Kerry who actually compared Putin to Hitler multiple times in public statements. Obama was too busy propping up his rebels in Syria to ever seriously consider working with Russia. This is the same us admin that wanted to be part of the cease fire then after Russia brought them into negotiations promptly shelled the hell out of a pro Assad battalion of troops until Russia called them to ask wth they were doing then Obama's reply was 'sorry, we thought those were Isis troops' when they were stationed outside the city Isis controlled which allowed Isis troops to escape. Obama had zero credibility when it came to working with Russia in that region. The gop doesn't like Russia either but Trump getting elected took most of the wind out of the McCain group's sails so now the gop is getting behind the WH.
    Attempting to annex a neighboring state does tend to invite certain comparisons

EDIT: As does changing the law after gaining power, to keep yourself in power indefinitely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Because the right keeps saying that they're all bad. For example, the limit on mercury that cement plants can release into the environment, BAD FOR BUSINESS! No doubt they'll claim that mercury is safe, cause it's natural.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    After having worked for one of the big 6 energy companies in the U.K i can tell you regulations inhibit small businesses who can't afford it.

Also feel free to look at the differences in post ww2 Germany and U.K in terms of economy. The U.K was heavily regulated because all those war era government bodies who regulated everything during the war did not want to loose their power whilst the Germans were not and they recovered at a much greater pace even though most of Germany was fire bombed to nothing.

Britain was not called the poor man of Europe for nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's give Trump credit. He's EO'ing the fuck out of his campaign promises.
    Eat yo vegetables