Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Thoughts behind Trinket Design

Who designs trinkets, and what sorts of thoughts/discussions/planning goes into it?

I started wondering tonight after getting a drop on Royal Dagger Haft.

This is clearly a tanking trinket, and one aimed at survivability. But if you look at any tank guide for any spec, you'll see that crit ranks as worst or 2nd worst stat for survivability. Yes, crit helps with parry, but still sims as weak for overall survivability. Which means, aside from the once in 6 minutes that this trinket might proc, it is one of the worst trinkets you could use if you are struggling to keep your tank alive.

Some possibilities that come to mind:
    • Design team lacks attention to detail and assigns stats randomly (farfetched?)
    • Design team doesn't play and is ignorant of stat priority for specs that can loot trinket (seems unlikely)
    • Design team made conscious choice that trinket dropping from early boss should only be 'meh'
    • Something else I haven't thought of

Don't get me wrong; I'm not ranting or upset. Just waxing philosophical and honestly wondering what goes through their minds when they create something like this.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Trinkets used to be cool. Deathbringer's will in wrath and others like it that's when trinkets were fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Trinkets used to be cool. Deathbringer's will in wrath and others like it that's when trinkets were fun.
    Was it cool or was it just silly OP?

I like the MoP trinkets but some were just as silly as the Deathbringer's will so...

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I mean, Memento of Angerboda is essentially the same trinket if you're talking about just the random-stat nature of the proc (minus the cool model change, though).

For me, they're too busy trying to make trinkets interesting. They're scared of making something ridiculously strong because it's hard to balance anything other than X Stat & Y Proc/Use trinkets properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean getting stats is cool and all, but having the visual change to your character when it proc'ed is what i liked about it.

I remember having a staff from Ds that proc'ed and my character would grow big, the legendary cloak that proc'ed wings. I liked that kind of stuff. They still do it. I would like more of that.

A lot of the proc abilities from those "interesting" trinkets need to be buffed up

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by awbaker View Post
    A lot of the proc abilities from those "interesting" trinkets need to be buffed up
    Yea no kidding. I was pretty stoked to get aluriels mirror today. Come to find stat stick is better apparently.

Deleted
    Nothing in this game is created with the idea of the ideal stat lineup to begin with. That's inherit.

Thus, to account for total item budget, they put effects + stats in consideration.

Now, obviously, seeing how crit ranks so low, the effect has to be something insane. Which, it is. It's basically "Prevent Death", on a 6 min CD. Maybe not that useful in practice compared to other things, but in a void space, i'd say it's legit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Yea no kidding. I was pretty stoked to get aluriels mirror today. Come to find stat stick is better apparently.
    They already stated that Main stats weight heavy, more so with the updates. It's for streamlining, but in turn, unique effects get to bite dust.

Deleted
    What's most funny about it is that in WoD Blizz made big statements prior to HFC that they didn't like stat sticks being the best trinkets and were going to design and make powerful proc-trinkets. This expansion the best trinkets in game (at least for healers) are titanforged WQ trinkets.

Trinkets in this expansion are bullshit for no apparent reason.

Back then, trinkets have always been a major dps upgrade - most of the time without any interaction but them being on use.
    Guess Blizzard didn't like Blademasters Mirror or Soulcap in WoD and decided that trinkets from now on will be utter garbage.

Thus, in Legion we have stupidly weak trinkets with random fixed dmg procs. Most of the time you're looking at 1% overall dmg increase here.
    This has created the situation where pretty much everyone just goes for the biggest stat stick they can get and be done with it till they get a better stat stick.

Nighthold hasn't changed much about this as they've already started to nerf 'overvalued' trinkets. And although they've also buffed the super crap caster trinkets...
    they're still mostly shit.

But then of course there's Draught of Souls, increasing Fury Warriors Dmg by like 15% and actually becoming their #1 Dmg source while other classes don't even get
    a third of that.

I miss well-designed classics like The Black Heart and Mirror of Broken Images.

Deleted
    Every tanking trinket except Infernal Contract from Nighthold is awfull

Cheat death have crit on it
    Stamina one have abysmal absorb
    Leech one have not enough stats to be worth (I get 20% leech with Inspireing Presence)

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    I mean, Memento of Angerboda is essentially the same trinket if you're talking about just the random-stat nature of the proc (minus the cool model change, though).

For me, they're too busy trying to make trinkets interesting. They're scared of making something ridiculously strong because it's hard to balance anything other than X Stat & Y Proc/Use trinkets properly.
    the issue is balancing across all specs that can use it, just look at CoF, its something different, but depending on proc rate grossly OP for some specs and trash for other specs, so they have to do spec by spec procrate so its "balanced" or heck, look at arans ruby, the trinket is one of the very few, that was actually worth wearing over stat sticks with a cool spell effect and they destroyed it, now its trash.

at this point, id prefer more trinkets like memento or foci just because they are easier to balance and arent complete vendor trash like 85% legion trinkets, that tried to be cool with dmg procs and effects, but are worse than 840 statsticks frmo WQs

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    What's most funny about it is that in WoD Blizz made big statements prior to HFC that they didn't like stat sticks being the best trinkets and were going to design and make powerful proc-trinkets.
    They clearly did not stick with that philosophy.

Deleted
    Make trinkets fun again blizz, I'm all down to have classes lose 3% dps in their abilities to have trinkets, or NH trinkets be fun and relevant again.

There's nothing sadder than having a 890 and a 905 trinket and they being worse/slightly better than the previous trinkets and stat sticks

Deleted
    they nerfed CoF so quickly it made me (( (i know it was beyond broken but still)

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Nothing in this game is created with the idea of the ideal stat lineup to begin with. That's inherit.

Thus, to account for total item budget, they put effects + stats in consideration.

Now, obviously, seeing how crit ranks so low, the effect has to be something insane. Which, it is. It's basically "Prevent Death", on a 6 min CD. Maybe not that useful in practice compared to other things, but in a void space, i'd say it's legit.

- - - Updated - - -

They already stated that Main stats weight heavy, more so with the updates. It's for streamlining, but in turn, unique effects get to bite dust.
    I wouldn't describe the effect as "insane". More like marginally useful. Once per boss fight it might pull you back from the edge, but more than likely will be a 2 second reprieve before you die anyway. As opposed to a stat stick of equal item level and more useful stats that would help you the whole fight. It is decidedly 'meh' and every guide I've read reviews it that way. I agree with those reviews.

Some trinkets were really OP in the past and were a huge contributor to your DPS, HPS or survability, more than wrists or a ring. I still remember running SoO LFR and trying to get the Immerseus trinket because it was just broken OP, even if I had cleared ToT Heroic.

I think that's what they are trying to avoid here, trinkets should be interesting and valuable, but not a HUGE contributor to your performance compared to other pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTaco View Post
    I think that's what they are trying to avoid here, trinkets should be interesting and valuable, but not a HUGE contributor to your performance compared to other pieces.
    Some are still rather insane. The cake trinket has done 10% of my healing on several fights, not counting the passive stats on it.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    I wouldn't describe the effect as "insane". More like marginally useful. Once per boss fight it might pull you back from the edge, but more than likely will be a 2 second reprieve before you die anyway. As opposed to a stat stick of equal item level and more useful stats that would help you the whole fight. It is decidedly 'meh' and every guide I've read reviews it that way. I agree with those reviews.
    The only other thing that i recall having the same proc effect, is the legendary Cloak.

And whilst it is not "practically" useful, in terms of the fact that it does not provide enough stats or what not, the effect itself, is still insane. It is literally an item that can prevent you from dying.

That does not mean the item is great - But there is little to no effects that can compete with the fact of preventing you from dying. Because other trinkets attempt to do this, in passive mitigation or active mitigation - But straight up making you dodge death, itself, is a very powerful effect in a void.

Which is why the stat-line is low. That is all i am saying