Question Why are there no 15", 8gb ram, i5, 1070 laptops? This semes to be standard build

Why are there no 15", 8gb ram, i5, 1070 laptops? This semes to be standard build for Stationary pc's (exept for screen)

I use amazon to search.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...qid=1486048075

I cant find any 1070 machines with i5

There is only one 1070 machine with 8GB ram, but it has i7 and is 17"
    -----------------------------

Checking laptops with 1060 (and the same prefrences) i only find one:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...rnid=676578011

Did I miss something, or are they all trying to bundle you up with extra things. I say again, i5, 8gb ram is fairly standard build with 1060 or 1070 for Stationary pc's last time i checked

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanfear1 View Post
    I say again, i5, 8gb ram is fairly standard build with 1060 or 1070 for Stationary pc's last time i checked
    Because the difference between a Desktop i5 and Desktop i7 is not the same as the difference between a Laptop i5 and Laptop i7.

Reason i5 is generally considered adequate in desktop machines is because most of the cost for the i7 lies in its extra cache and Hyperthreading capability. Neither which games particularly care about. The small clock difference can, when required, be largely compensated for by overclocking. Laptops on the other hand, only upgrade the CPU frequency, but typically more substantially.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2017-02-02 at 03:36 PM.

I thought I pretty much explained this to you in your other thread?

Laptop i7s aren't always what we think of when we think of i7's. Some Laptops i7's are actually more like Desktop i3's in disguise, 2 core/4 thread CPUs, labelled as an i7. Some are desktop i5's in disguise, 4 cores/4 threads. So just because it says i7, does not mean it's equivalent to a desktop i7, it's just called an i7 for....reasons.

Further on this,

Laptop Graphics Cards are not the same as Desktop Graphics cards. Setups you find in the desktop world will not translate to the same thing laptop-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    Further on this,

Laptop Graphics Cards are not the same as Desktop Graphics cards. Setups you find in the desktop world will not translate to the same thing laptop-wise.
    Prior to the 10xx generation this was true, but no longer is. It used to be that a 970m, while not as weak as a desktop 960, was also not as strong as a desktop 970. It was more in between. Now though, a leptop 1070 is not a 1070m, it's an actual 1070.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Because the difference between a Desktop i5 and Desktop i7 is not the same as the difference between a Laptop i5 and Laptop i7.

Reason i5 is generally considered adequate in desktop machines is because most of the cost for the i7 lies in its extra cache and Hyperthreading capability. Neither which games particularly care about. The small clock difference can, when required, be largely compensated for by overclocking. Laptops on the other hand, only upgrade the CPU frequency, but typically more substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I thought I pretty much explained this to you in your other thread?

Laptop i7s aren't always what we think of when we think of i7's. Some Laptops i7's are actually more like Desktop i3's in disguise, 2 core/4 thread CPUs, labelled as an i7. Some are desktop i5's in disguise, 4 cores/4 threads. So just because it says i7, does not mean it's equivalent to a desktop i7, it's just called an i7 for....reasons.
    Ok, now i understand, sorry for bering slow. I thought you were saging something else (like not all i5 machines are 6300hq/7300hq etc)

So, i7 is worth it for gaming, if you are on a laptop, because games will benefit from the improvement i7 offers on laptops (but i7 is not worth it for Stationary because it offers lots of stuff games generally cant benefit from)

Thank you!

So.. what i7 is gud? (sorry but I have to ask, at least Im not that ignorant in my ignorance)

Edit: quad core, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Still only one quad core machine with 1070 and 8GB ram.

Do i need more then 8gb ram? Thought it was generally accepted that 8gb ram for gaming was the thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say the generally accepted ram is 16gb bc it's just so cheap

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I'd say the generally accepted ram is 16gb bc it's just so cheap
    Ok, Thank you!

Anything about the screen i should look for?