Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Isn't the stance of Trump supporters that all bad news about him are fake and only the good ones are true?
    Irrelevant to the discussion, with claims that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Something Trump would be immune to... real scandal can't touch him fake scandal won't either.
    The impact would be closer to what would happen if the EC was removed. It'll be a run for "who can get how many to vote for and how many to vote against".

Politics would literally be anything but real.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we should drop Trump discussion from this thread. Since SOMEBODY had to mention it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    For some people, as evidenced on this very forum, this is already the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I think we should drop Trump discussion from this thread. Since SOMEBODY had to mention it.
    Common, don't be disingenuous.

You cannot have a thread about fake news, which begins with "In the light of recent events, and recent non-events and the rise of fake news and alternative facts, technology has gradually been improving in the area of actually making the distinction very difficult to detect.", and expect to have nobody speak about that specific individual. Even more so considering the week of false information that is about to end.

So yes, it's clearly on topic.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

7+ Year Old Account
    In the light of recent events, and recent non-events and the rise of fake news and alternative facts, technology has gradually been improving in the area of actually making the distinction very difficult to detect.

Two separate projects mentioned in the following video are starting to make real inroads into what used to be science fiction.

1. Face2Face: Real-time Face Capture and Reenactment of RGB Videos
    2. #VoCo: Allows you to change words in a voiceover simply by typing new words.

Together, these two tools currently in development would literally allow you to take video and audio of a well known (say politician, or activist or what ever) and make them say what ever you damn well pleased.

The tech isn't quite there yet, but experts in the field say this technology will be as available in 2020 as Photoshop with images is today.

So folks, get ready for a wild ride, there is an article here: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/...ews-technology

The two product names above can be distinctly searched and researched.
    While today I wouldn't be as audacious as to call every news fake, current news are very manipulative already towards public opinion. You can change how readers or viewers absorb the information just by how you give it out. It's also used by different idiologies to cater to their audience. They don't necesarily lie, but they are not telling the truth either.
    Right now, you should always contrast news from various sources to see where these manipulations are and view all news with a pinch of salt and skepticism. The media have a lot of power in most countries and can easily change waves of public opinion in ways that benefit them.

When this "image" forgery becomes widespread, you just have to be more skeptical than before on the information you recieve. People will need to be better educated in order to not be manipulated by contradicting, confusing and manipulative information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idiocracy here we come!

I can't wait for Brawndo.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenseiei View Post
    People will need to be better educated in order to not be manipulated by contradicting, confusing and manipulative information.
    But that is already time consuming, I know that I spend a lot of time validating the stuff I talk about .... if in the future reality and fiction are literally indistinguishable - how do you proceed then?

Do we go back to eyewitness testimony ... because that worked so well

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Common, don't be disingenuous.

You cannot have a thread about fake news, which begins with "In the light of recent events, and recent non-events and the rise of fake news and alternative facts, technology has gradually been improving in the area of actually making the distinction very difficult to detect.", and expect to have nobody speak about that specific individual. Even more so considering the week of false information that is about to end.

So yes, it's clearly on topic.
    You know very well how trump threads last. Regardless if the claims are true, it just ends bad here. Also MMO-Champion isn't some big indicator of fake news. It's while a popular site nothing in the big scheme of things in the US.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    You know very well how trump threads last. Regardless if the claims are true, it just ends bad here. Also MMO-Champion isn't some big indicator of fake news. It's while a popular site nothing in the big scheme of things in the US.
    I'm all for less Trump, more everything else, but again it's hard not to speak of it in a thread where its relevancy is clear.

The thread would've been much less likely to be about Trump if it took the angle of "impersonation" rather than "fake news".
    Google Diversity Memo

In the light of recent events, and recent non-events and the rise of fake news and alternative facts, technology has gradually been improving in the area of actually making the distinction very difficult to detect.

Two separate projects mentioned in the following video are starting to make real inroads into what used to be science fiction.

1. Face2Face: Real-time Face Capture and Reenactment of RGB Videos
    2. #VoCo: Allows you to change words in a voiceover simply by typing new words.

Together, these two tools currently in development would literally allow you to take video and audio of a well known (say politician, or activist or what ever) and make them say what ever you damn well pleased.

The tech isn't quite there yet, but experts in the field say this technology will be as available in 2020 as Photoshop with images is today.

So folks, get ready for a wild ride, there is an article here: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/...ews-technology

The two product names above can be distinctly searched and researched.
    You don't need technology for fake news; you just need lazy news consumers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    News and fake news are already indistinguishable. We have Donald Trump as acting president of the United States, a majority conservative congress/senate and Great Britain is no longer apart of the EU.

Fake news already won, sadly.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm not sure how, really. I mean okay "fake news" may be really well written, but much like Kellyanne Conway citing a fake massacre, it's really no more complicated than, I suppose at worst, calling the locals and asking if it actually happened.

Sure, might be hard to verify when they're talking about events in other countries, but really, "fake news" tends to be distinguished by the fact that it didn't happen.

On top of that, even if you could edit video to make a video look legit, there's still the fact that Bob who was in the video can speak up, and even sue you for doing just that.

Fake news only survives as long as people don't challenge it.
    Verifying the truth of the news isn't bad thing to ask of viewers. But it does beg the question:

If I have to do the legwork to find out if you're telling me the truth, what's the point of having you at all, media?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    You don't need technology for fake news; you just need lazy news consumers.
    However, this kind of technology means you'll be able to mislead not just the lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    News and fake news are already indistinguishable.
    That's a different thing ... what you really mean is that satire and news have become indistinguishable.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    "Superman defends himself against crazed, money-hungry possibly-nuclear-charged Robot menace."
    vs
    "The universe is now poorer after self made men-hating Jockey steals Iron-Young Adult's life in cold blood."
    "Job Creator killed in terrorist attack by illegal alien."
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

However, this kind of technology means you'll be able to mislead not just the lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a different thing ... what you really mean is that satire and news have become indistinguishable.
    Everyone is already being mislead. /shrug

The result is not in any way what you fear, however. People will just immediately stop trusting ANY video. Nobody will be fooled more than once by this.

Associate Press is just the facts, they don't editorialize and they feel it's their sacred duty to make the news as accurate as possible

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/fronts/...P&SECTION=HOME

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's ok, I already don't believe almost anything I read or hear in the news, most of it already fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    "Job Creator killed in terrorist attack by illegal alien."
    5 stars lol

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Considering we're already at 5 fake news about Trump this week, I'd say we're already there!
    Which five?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Which five?
    Trump calls Mexico and tells them they'll say the military to deal with bad hombre. - Debunked by Mexico and US spokesperson.
    Trump anti-LGBT EO. - Debunked initially by Trump, then a supposed "leak" happened but it simply didn't happen.
    Trump hanged the phone on AU PM. - Debunked by AU PM himself.
    Trump remove election penalties on Russia - It was an old Obama law project that has simply been validated and pushed, as planned by the Obama admin, about penalties that weren't supposed to be there, yet were because of a bureaucracy problem.
    Mother dies because of Trump's ban - She died before the ban happened. It was also backed by the Imam who took care of it.
    Google Diversity Memo