Thread: Devos Confirmed

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If you want to know what the DeVos nomination is about look no further then the stock her family has major holdings in. Major rally when Trump got elected and large rally today when she got confirmed. Pure fucking cronyism. This is not about school choice.

http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/LRN

10+ Year Old Account
    The education system has been a joke for 40 years with "professional educators" in charge of it. It cant get any worse so may as well try something new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Have you ever noted him to be above pettiness?
    You're saying all those muslim-bashing and white-genocide threads wern't posted ironically? All those hipsters are gonna be disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Also, I really hope those people looking for more religious schools realize what that means, since the government can't discriminate based on faith.

More schools based on Islamic teachings, or funded and run by the Church of Satan. Or Scientologists.

Edit: Before anyone says anything, I'm okay with religious schools of any stripe, as long as they're teaching to the same curriculum as secular schools.
    I fully hope for a swell in the Schools of Satan numbers in the US and the ensuing outcry.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The education system has been a joke for 40 years with "professional educators" in charge of it. It cant get any worse so may as well try something new.
    "My car's got a flat tire. Guess I'll set it on fire."

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/...tion-secretary

Pence becomes the first VP to break Senate tie over cabinet nomination.

Really was looking for someone to stop this from happening.
    Yeah, this is bad. She is not qualified in any sense of the definition for this position.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surely blatant cronyism and nepotism won't go much longer without criminal prosecution, right?

HAHAHA, right??

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    So you can collect the insurance and buy a new car? That's criminal!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Because it basically leaves children from poor/lower-middle class backgrounds up shit creek with little hope to get out of the cycle of poverty by educating themselves. As things stand the public education system is so gutted and twisted seven ways to Sunday that many classrooms only function because the teachers pay out of pocket for supplies the schools can't afford (because many school districts have fallen prey to the Libertarian modus operandi of ensuring a public system is too broken to work so they can point to it to justify a Randian drive to privatize everything on the taxpayer's dollar).

This is only going to get worse under DeVos, whom has never attended or sent her children to public school and is thus as uniquely unqualified to serve as Secretary of Education as Trump is for President or Carson is for Urban Development (or Bannon is for anything with a security clearance higher than gmail.com), because she wants to defund public schools and use taxpayer money for religious charter schools and exorbitantly-expensive private schools.

Even assuming financial aid in paying for tuition, the poor/lower-middle-class are going to be left in the breeze (just like every other time hard-right conservatives take over despite consistently being able to convince those same demographics privatization is in their favor) because there will be many families that, even with vouchers to help pay for school, won't be able to afford the remainder of tuition, to take time off work to get their kids to/from (which is currently handled by a public bus system, which would also be privatized under DeVos's plans to defund public education), and pay for uniforms and any other supplies the school doesn't provide (because private schools are primarily for-profit organizations like any other business that gets in on government-run markets).

The sad thing is, so many people buy into that trap--where an existing public system is run so terribly by people with a vested interest in privatization that they can point to it to justify privatization--that this shit happens over, and over, and over, like clockwork, and because Americans have a unique misperception that their poor aren't an exploited, impoverished working class but millionaires just one lucky break away from their fortunes, they never wise up to it.
    Private schools also don't often employ union teachers. They can also basically cherry pick students to maintain NCLB standards and refuse poorly performing students and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that public schools don't perform well compared to private schools. Concentrating the poorly performing students in public schools, because of NCLB, means those schools also get less funding to take care of those poorly performing students, when those are the students most in need of extra focus from educators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I can't wait to start my radical but non-violent madrasa that meets the bare minimum of standards and make money off of it too!

Quote Originally Posted by maomoa View Post
    I can't wait to start my radical but non-violent madrasa that meets the bare minimum of standards and make money off of it too!
    It's not radical, it's alternatively tubular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Oh no Devos got confirmed... I guess children will learn something in school besides how to break windows when they don't get their way.
    <Who is John Galt>
    Endgame progression guild on PvE Hyjal-US
    http://whoisjohngalt.enjin.com/
    http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/...o+Is+John+Galt
    Visit us today - Exceptional players always considered.

Deleted

Simpsons predicted it.

Again I'd like to point out, at a family christmas party shes not the worst person in the room on account of who her brother is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uputz View Post
    Oh no Devos got confirmed... I guess our students will learn something in school besides how to break windows when they don't get their way.
    Yeah they'll just learn how to wish death and eternal damnation on those immoral homosexuals

Deleted
    So Trump supporters hated Hillary's Pay to Play.

What do they think now when Devos was confirmed by all senators her family donated at least 23k dollars to last week.

Not entirely sure how the American system allows this to happen either, in our country they would prosecute for bribery or taking stakes by now.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Disgusting woman, disgusting decision.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Quote Originally Posted by Uputz View Post
    Oh no Devos got confirmed... I guess children will learn something in school besides how to break windows when they don't get their way.
    nah, just how evolution isn't real and Jesus is coming back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    A flat? Lol the car's been through a crusher and is a cube right now Devos is just going to take a blow torch to the remains.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    nah, just how evolution isn't real and Jesus is coming back.
    I think you'll find they are building a wall to keep Jesus, Pedro and all his mates out actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    A flat? Lol the car's been through a crusher and is a cube right now Devos is just going to take a blow torch to the remains.
    and you still think cynicism is going to pan out well huh.