Thread: Devos Confirmed

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire ShadowofVashj's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the basement of Oribos playing cards with fellow Ebon Knights and Cartel members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighud44 View Post
    You have the right to leave. We wont miss you.
    Nah sadly I gotta stay and fight so the Trump shitheads don't ruin this country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    So in short its reid's fault that Trump nominated wildly incompetent people and a majority of the senate approves of said candidates
    Reid's rule meant that the GOP doesn't have to reach across the aisle for support on a nomination, which means nominees like DeVos WILL be confirmed. So, absolutely yes, this gets laid at Reid's doorstep. Without the Reid rule this thread wouldn't exist because Betsy DeVos wouldn't have even been nominated.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Sorry dude, but the financial deregulation that killed the last 30 years was not a liberal policy... and guess what, Trump is for accelerating that decline.
    you got trophies for participation didn't you?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuckatron5000 View Post
    Exactly. Look I'm not against them pushing religious schools if they really want to pander to the evangelicals, but please don't throw the rest of our kids under the bus by electing someone who literally doesn't know how the system works.

I've read about her and she seems nice, but being nice doesn't make up for experience and throwing money at something isn't going to magically make a system work that's already considered as broken.

- - - Updated - - -

Please tell me you're joking....
    No I am not. There is however a huge difference between the Teachers Union and actual Teachers. I truly believe Teachers care, but Randi Weingarten is only interested in her power and her $543k salary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Apparently there's something going around about all those Chicago teachers making 100,000 a year while laughing at all the helpless black children who desperately just need someone like Devos to step in and break up the unions so they can start learning properly.
    I have nothing against teachers making $100k per year, but they shouldn't get $100k per year plus a tax-payer funded pension and only have to work less than 10 months per year.

My real beef is with the unions who are not interested in improving outcomes for poor black kids. School choice threatens the status quo that is NOT working for many kids despite the billions of taxpayer dollars being funneled into underperforming schools. The outrage expressed by the democrats is directly tied to decrease political contributions if unions lose power.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I'm not the biggest fan of DeVos but... did you all honestly think she wouldn't be confirmed? Need to get more cabinet positions filled asap. Good job obstructionist left on dragging your feet.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Yay, corruption.
    Don't like it? Vote. Make those bribes their severance packages.

Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of DeVos but... did you all honestly think she wouldn't be confirmed? Need to get more cabinet positions filled asap. Good job obstructionist left on dragging your feet.
    It took the VP to get her in.
    And if she's not supposed to run the Dept but instead dismantle it...Pence will have to hang around...and that's assuming the Dems don't win over more than two in the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It took the VP to get her in.
    And if she's not supposed to run the Dept but instead dismantle it...Pence will have to hang around...and that's assuming the Dems don't win over more than two in the Senate.
    Dems aren't going to win shit. They just had the biggest election of their lifetimes and got dismantled as a result.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

Dems aren't going to win shit. They just had the biggest election of their lifetimes and got dismantled as a result.
    Good luck getting that wall built.

Actually will probably work in their favor in this case.

The Dems probably knew there was no chance for them to stop this, but they also know a lot of people, on both sides of the partisan fence, don't like DeVos, and the dems fought tooth and nail to try and stop it and with the help of the two republicans forced Pence to break the tie.

That's going to look good for the dems for people who don't like DeVos, and there are lot of people who don't like her.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you are not realizing what loosing the popular vote meant. I don't think Trump can pull Bush's support of a war, to undercut that sentiment. If you thought not having a voice drove rural Trump supporters to swing those states, imagine what having around 3 million voices not being heard would mean for his opponents.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    It's likely Devos is supposed to dismantle Education. It's no coincidence that a bill proposing to abolish the Dept of Education was proposed on the very same day of her confirmation.
    A Republican proposed the bill too.

Fucking lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post

The Dems probably knew there was no chance for them to stop this, but they also know a lot of people, on both sides of the partisan fence, don't like DeVos, and the dems fought tooth and nail to try and stop it and with the help of the two republicans forced Pence to break the tie.

That's going to look good for the dems for people who don't like DeVos, and there are lot of people who don't like her.
    A lot of the rural are on the same side as the urban areas, since all they have are public schools.
    The Republicans have until the next election cycle after which...it might be a complete refutation of this admin going down.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's likely Devos is supposed to dismantle Education. It's no coincidence that a bill proposing to abolish the Dept of Education was proposed on the very same day of her confirmation.
    To be fair, the department of education is a bigger joke than Devos.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post

It will depend on how her suggested changes to education are going to be met with the public. The problem for her, is that the sort of changes she has proposed are usually saved for a second term. People don't like change, regardless of the Obama campaign rhetoric. It sounds great in slogans, but see what happens when you upgrade your office coffee machine. I don't think people will support the voucher system or dismantling public education to make it for profit. But, it really depends on the sales pitch... will people buy 'more money in your pocket and choice!' or will they look at healthcare and higher education to bulk at the idea? We will see what Frank Luntz comes up with...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    This kind of silly logic is not welcome here. As someone who was a victim of Public Education, I sent both my kids to private school. Thank god I did, what an amazing investment. They were so much better prepared for college, and none of this stupid common core crap. Heck they even took a civics class, something missing from Public Education today (more like dis-education, it is almost like it's meant to dumb down the population).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    That's not really true, because her proposals are actually doubling down on issues with DOE. The issue of department of education is that it simply has little power other than to set federal funding standards. Dismantling, instead of empowering things like mandated coriculum that changes with job market demands, is making the problem worse... not better...

Quote Originally Posted by zaphon View Post
    This kind of silly logic is not welcome here. As someone who was a victim of Public Education, I sent both my kids to private school. Thank god I did, what an amazing investment. They were so much better prepared for college, and none of this stupid common core crap. Heck they even took a civics class, something missing from Public Education today (more like dis-education, it is almost like it's meant to dumb down the population).
    Well it's a good thing that quality private education is both readily available and affordable to everyone, particularly lower income and minority families who desperately need it to move up the socioeconomic ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Well it's a good thing that quality private education is both readily available and affordable to everyone, particularly lower income and minority families who desperately need it to move up the socioeconomic ladder.
    Freedom doesn't equal Free Stuff! And for the record, while all the kids in public school were earning the school thousands upon thousands of dollars per year (I believe it's over $10k per kid), I was not getting any of that for my kids. I paid out of pocket (and oh yeah, my tax dollars went towards those other kids). Wouldn't it be nice if I could take that $10k and apply it towards the private school?