Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Old God Lore Ruined?

I must say I'm a bit disappointed in how the Old God Lore turned out. Largely because they aren't as strong as we thought they were. Apparently Sargeras and Aman'thul could wreck them with no problem. That kind of urks me.

Before we knew much about the Old Gods what we did know was that there were four to five of them, and it took the entire Pantheon to defeat them. That would tell us one Old God at it's full power was far more powerful then a Titan.

I mean when we take down C'thun and Yogg we would say to ourselves "They weren't at full power" or "We pretty much killed the tip of their pinky". It seems like they are only a tad stronger then Keepers like Odyn. Last I checked we owned just about every keeper so far, (Odyn was sandbagging I guess). So maybe we took down two Old Gods with more power then we thought.

The Old God's have been pulling strings from behind the scenes for ages corrupting amazing demi-gods like Azshara and Deathwing and it turns out this whole time they themselves are just pawns of these Void Lords? Now they are supposed to be physical manifestations of void lords or something. And the idea of Void Lords themselves as this new over arching villain is cool.

But the fact that everything is now so connected kinda ruins the aloof chaotic nature of the Old Gods that held no true purpose. I would have rathered the Old Gods be a separate entity entirely from the Void Lords, that just like always are just lurking in the backgrounds biding their time and screwing everyone over, because they're powerful enough to do so.

Whispering
    Last edited by Matthias; 2017-02-08 at 03:08 PM.

Old gods have always been weaker than titans
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look. As all the things based on the creations of Lovecraft, the Old Gods need one important thing to be awesome: Mystery. You don't see the horror to fear it.

...But now we know what spawned those Old Gods, what is their purpose, how do they look like - there's no mystery. No "what?". Just a "how do we punch it in the face".

But the Lore still exists, it's just better explained. Still, I wish it still had the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Look. As all the things based on the creations of Lovecraft, the Old Gods need one important thing to be awesome: Mystery. You don't see the horror to fear it.

...But now we know what spawned those Old Gods, what is their purpose, how do they look like - there's no mystery. No "what?". Just a "how do we punch it in the face".

But the Lore still exists, it's just better explained. Still, I wish it still had the mystery.

Well said!

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    I must say I'm a bit disappointed in how the Old God Lore turned out. Largely because they aren't as strong as we thought they were. Apparently Sargeras and Aman'thul could wreck them with no problem. That kind of urks me.

Before we knew much about the Old Gods what we did know was that there were four to five of them, and it took the entire Pantheon to defeat them. That would tell us one Old God at it's full power was far more powerful then a Titan.

The Old God's have been pulling strings from behind the scenes for ages corrupting amazing demi-gods like Azshara and Deathwing and it turns out this whole time they themselves are just pawns of these Void Lords? Now they are supposed to be physical manifestations of void lords or something. And the idea of Void Lords themselves as this new over arching villain is cool.

But the fact that everything is now so connected kinda ruins the aloof chaotic nature of the Old Gods that held no true purpose. I would have rathered the Old Gods be a separate entity entirely from the Void Lords, that just like always are just lurking in the backgrounds biding their time and screwing everyone over, because they're powerful enough to do so.
    That's only because Old Gods are only a threat to "living" things. Titans are immune to the corruption they cause, and due to this the Old Gods don't have any power over them.

The Old Gods, by functional nature, only have power when they have a following. Which is why having living things to corrupt and enslave is so important to them, they gain power through zealotry.

I personally think Old Gods are still quite mystical. Their creation, for one thing, is largely a mystery beyond "physical manifestation of void lords". Not to mention what happens when an Old God dies (and why that happens) are too a mystery. Infact, there are still many, many things for Blizzard to iterate on in Old God lore, you're just not looking that hard.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2017-02-08 at 03:10 PM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    That's only because Old Gods are only a threat to "living" things. Titans are immune to the corruption they cause, and due to this the Old Gods don't have any power over them.

The Old Gods, by functional nature, only have power when they have a following. Which is why having living things to corrupt and enslave is so important to them, they gain power through zealotry.

I personally think Old Gods are still quite mystical. Their creation, for one thing, is largely a mystery beyond "physical manifestation of void lords". Not to mention what happens when an Old God dies (and why that happens) are too a mystery. Infact, there are still many, many things for Blizzard to iterate on in Old God lore, you're just not looking that hard.
    I think my problem is that before it was a possibility that at full power they were even stronger then Sargeras, who has been the over arching bad this whole time. And that we know now that the Void Lords are the ones that pull the strings. If there was say an Old God expansion where we finally take down all four Old Gods for good and then the Void Lords are revealed that would be fine, because it would burst our bubble that the we didn't truly take down the true final boss.

I mean right now Void Lords are like the hidden final boss behind an already mysterious final boss that we already know about. Kind of ruins the surprise and excitement.

Imo Old gods suffered same fate as Reapers from Mass effect. Both are based on Lovecraft mythos but kinda softened once they explained their origin. Scary thing about Reapers/Old Gods was that you dind't know anything about them, they were incomprehensible tentacly horrors who crawled from who knows where. Once you explain these things, mystery is lost. People fear most what they don't know/understand.

But I still like them good enough, they still give scary vibes for me. I like how Blizzard uses them and their "whispers" as foreshadowing of future events that may or may not happen.
    Last edited by Dagoth Ur; 2017-02-08 at 03:31 PM.

I mean when we take down C'thun and Yogg we would say to ourselves "They weren't at full power" or "We pretty much killed the tip of their pinky". It seems like they are only a tad stronger then Keepers like Odyn. Last I checked we owned just about every keeper so far, (Odyn was sandbagging I guess). So maybe we took down two Old Gods with more power then we thought.

Whispering
    You are wrong, the entire pantheon didn't deal with them. Titankeepers did it. When situation got dire with 1 old god. Amanthul came and struck him with one blow into gg.

10+ Year Old Account

Whispering
    they are attack dogs of the Void Lords....what did you expect

Quote Originally Posted by Grusalugg View Post
    You are wrong, the entire pantheon didn't deal with them. Titankeepers did it. When situation got dire with 1 old god. Amanthul came and struck him with one blow into gg.
    That's my point. Originally we didn't know how the war between the Old Gods and Titans went down. We just knew that there were more Titans then there were Old Gods, so doing some math you would think that if four Old Gods could rival seven Titans that would make the Old Gods stronger. It was all speculation then though.

Quote Originally Posted by lukazhuja19 View Post
    Imo Old gods suffered same fate as Reapers from Mass effect. Both are based on Lovecraft mythos but kinda softened once they explained their origin. Scary thing about Reapers/Old Gods was that you dind't know anything about them, they were incomprehensible tentacly horrors who crawled from who knows where. Once you explain these things, mystery is lost. People fear most what they don't know/understand.

But I still like them good enough, they still give scary vibes for me. I like how Blizzard uses them and their "whispers" as foreshadowing of future events that may or may not happen.
    Very well said. But now they're whispers just aren't as menacing since they aren't the primary puppet masters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think my problem is that before it was a possibility that at full power they were even stronger then Sargeras,
    That was never a possibility. The closest thing an OG came to beating a titan was C'Thun and a noname titan with a double KO. Back when the Pantheon were just the elite ruling sect of a larger titan race. While the OGs and Krasus claimed the 3 OGs would beat Sargeras, they were delusional and Blizzard confirmed the hyperbole.

Deleted
    Yes, their mystery is gone and they have been retconed. Previuosly they were the strongest entities we knew of now they are 4th tier.

I don't like this Marvel DC type universe they are going for, with established cosmics and no mystery. It's also moving away from fantasy genre. Traveling tru space with magic - that's ok, traveling with space ships - not ok for Warcraft.

Whispering
    except we dident take down yog and cthun, only their phsyical forms, they are still very much alive
    look at yash, it was fucking ripped out of the planet by a titan, and still is alive

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    i am pretty sure titans > old gods was always a thing...

- - - Updated - - -

i thought all old gods except for nzoth were confirmed dead?
    then how does yog sarron still whisper to us? how does he still command the minions that attack us in udluar, why is the prison being "repaired"
    and also how come the sha still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Grusalugg View Post
    The original lore prior to Chronicles had the Titans kill the old god. That was changed so they aren't entirely wrong, just going off old lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    i am pretty sure titans > old gods was always a thing...

- - - Updated - - -

i thought all old gods except for nzoth were confirmed dead?
    They are confirmed dead. He is just ignorant.r

The shadow priest dagger also says all are dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    then how does yog sarron still whisper to us? how does he still command the minions that attack us in udluar, why is the prison being "repaired"
    Sha was an echo of its death. Much like many echos left by other beings. Like medivh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because their corruption doesn't disappear with their deaths, that's their whole thing. If you kill an Old God it leaves a festering wound on the planet that never really goes away.

Old Gods presence lingers for a long time.

Y'shaarj was also whispering to us despite being dead, not sure if those things that use the Sha Model for all that Emerald Nightmare stuff are actual Sha, but the Sha are supposed to fade out of existence sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    They are confirmed dead. He is just ignorant.r

The shadow priest dagger also says all are dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Sha was an echo of its death. Much like many echos left by other beings. Like medivh.
    so explain yash's heart?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Old Gods presence lingers for a long time.

Y'shaarj was also whispering to us despite being dead, not sure if those things that use the Sha Model for all that Emerald Nightmare stuff are actual Sha, but the Sha are supposed to fade out of existence sooner or later.
    and his heart?

10+ Year Old Account
    so explain yash's heart?

and his heart?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Garrosh brings heart of Y'shaarj back to life using the pools of Pandaria. Fortunately, the whole God isn't resurrected. (DaveKosak)