Page 1 of 2
LastLast

leg affliction wrists make contagion good enough?

So I got the legendary wrists last night on my aff lock. His only leg thus far. I run with AC right now but I was wondering if the wrists would make Contagion a solid upgrade? Whatcha guys/gals think?

I am Druid - Play Free Online Games

I would suggest that you read the sticky guide for Affliction here in the forum, your answer will be in there.

Yeah I looked already and there isn't anything other than a generic "it's worth using" mention foe the bracers themselves, along with a link to a 910 version of the bracers. I was asking about anyone who might have experience with them and how they interact with contagion (ya know...like I actually asked?) but thanks for the worthless post.
    Last edited by Nithian; 2017-02-07 at 10:07 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    There isn't anything in the guide about it because theres literally nothing that changes.
    Don't be like haunt guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryn View Post
    There isn't anything in the guide about it because theres literally nothing that changes.
    Really? Because I can think of a number of things that could potentially change. Does effigy count as a "stack" for the damage bonus? Because that would make an effigy build multaplicatively more powerful with these bracers if you could keep up your shard generation.

Super helpful posts today people...holy shit I'm feeling the positive vibes!
    /sarcasm off

Quote Originally Posted by Nithian View Post
    Yeah I looked already and there isn't anything other than a generic "it's worth using" mention foe the bracers themselves, along with a link to a 910 version of the bracers. I was asking about anyone who might have experience with them and how they interact with contagion (ya know...like I actually asked?) but thanks for the worthless post.
    You were not asking for people who have xp with them, you were asking for our opinions on your question.

And judging by your answer, I'm glad I did not give you a clear answer, which was totally on purpose from my side.

Because people like you are a general problem in every forum around the world. You think your problem is special and needs an own thread. You don't bother about giving any information about what you already know about the problem/state nor you just start by making a post in the dedicated thread.

And why is it important that the link for the bracers is ilvl 910? Are you implying that the informations Terryn is giving us are useless because his links may be out of date?

I know it's the internet and stuff but you should think about your attitude if you ask for help.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? Because I can think of a number of things that could potentially change. Does effigy count as a "stack" for the damage bonus? Because that would make an effigy build multaplicatively more powerful with these bracers if you could keep up your shard generation.

/sarcasm off
    Perfect example of what I meant, thanks for that.
    Last edited by Walrock; 2017-02-07 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you read the guide you'd know that casting UAs on an Effigy is a waste of a shard.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

So...you intentionally took the time to make a worthless response to a post...and then mentioned how you intended to do so. Then, I have an attitude because I said I already read the guide and saw nothing relating the bracers to the talent in question. Then, that I shouldn't make a post on your forums because...honestly this is where I lost interest in you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    If you read the guide you'd know that casting UAs on an Effigy is a waste of a shard.
    If the effigy counts as a target for the bracers buff it would essentially double-dip due to the way effigy works. This is what I'm trying to figure out. UA on an Effigy is a waste of a shard because all you normally get is a small % of normal UA damage for the same ost. But if casting UA on an Effigy also suddenly buffs ALL of your damage by 4%+ does it then become worth it?
    Last edited by Nithian; 2017-02-07 at 11:11 PM.

I don't have the wrists so no experience with them on my side but i do consider them 2nd best behind the cloak .
    And actually, Contagion might be conflicting with those bracers as you'd want to spread your UAs as much as possible. But Running Contagion means you are using Malefic Grasp which means u want to be tunneling those UAs on your main Drain Target.

This is one of the few legendaries (if not the only one) that is actually promoting some gameplay changes for affliction Locks ,hence i wish i had it but no luck so far.

Lastly,i highly doubt it's worth Casting on your Effigy because you'd rather have a higher UA uptime on your main Target as it should provide more damage overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    So...you intentionally took the time to make a worthless response to a post...and then mentioned how you intended to do so. Then, I have an attitude because I said I already read the guide and saw nothing relating the bracers to the talent in question. Then, that I shouldn't make a post on your forums because...honestly this is where I lost interest in you.

- - - Updated - - -

If the effigy counts as a target for the bracers buff it would essentially double-dip due to the way effigy works. This is what I'm trying to figure out. UA on an Effigy is a waste of a shard because all you normally get is a small % of normal UA damage for the same ost. But if casting UA on an Effigy also suddenly buffs ALL of your damage by 4%+ does it then become worth it?
    I imagine losing 65% of your UA's damage simply by casting it on Effigy would be quite the hit. You're not using MG on your effigy either, so there's even more damage lost from casting a UA. 4% more damage and how many wasted UAs over 300 seconds? Can't be worthwhile.

If you're super curious you could always slap a dummy for a bit.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Yeah...life and old player and trying to save time and get some insight from anyone who may have already wondered about this enough to test it. Thanks for the feedback

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's still not worth it, mostly because of UA's incredibly short duration. In most effigy situations you won't have anywhere near enough shards to keep UA running full time on multiple targets. The few extra seconds of the buff isn't worth the loss of UA on the main target; especially if you're using MG.

Deleted

/sarcasm off
    It does BUT the the 4% you get by having UA running on the secondary target simpyl does not make up for the 65% damage loss you get by using it on Effigy.

The thing to remember is this: you never, ever use UA on Effigy.

The bracers aren;t as good as they look and never were. The short durations of UA mean it;s very very hard to keep UA up on more than one target consistently. With the advent of Malefic Grasp you just get more damage by using UA on one target, buffing it with Grasp+Reap than you will ever get by trying to spread that bracer buff around. Spreading UA's around was more viable when we didn;t have Grasp but even then it was really not practical or worth it except maybe mythic trash

In short just regard the bracers as a flat 4% single target buff. They were completely ignored in the legendary nerfings, because they just weren't all that good anyway.
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2017-02-08 at 11:40 AM.

The bracers were designed before MG existed; they promote spreading UA as a playstyle which you really do not want to do with MG.

They can be good with a WiA build on a council fight like Heroic High Bot, or short lived adds that you can roll UAs into and get the shards back like lashers on High Bot or the 4 small adds on Anomaly.

I appreciate the constructive feedback guys but I still can't get the idea out if my head. MG isn't mutually exclusive with UA, contagion or effigy and you can't think of UA on the effigy as "losing 65% damage" because it isn't like you're using that shard somewhere else. And on top of that, when spec'd into contagion simply putting UA on the effigy increases all of your damage on it by 22-26% (depending on the timing) on top of the extra 4% on the boss/main target.

Dot up effigy > dot up boss>UA effigy>UA boss>instantly MG boss.

I'm going to test this with different values of haste and see how viable it is or isn't...just need to test it myself to see.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I looked already and there isn't anything other than a generic "it's worth using" mention foe the bracers themselves
    If you actually did read the guide then you should have seen the whole "UA isn't worth using on your effigy because it does 35% damage" thing...

- - - Updated - - -

Really? Because I can think of a number of things that could potentially change.
    You asked for people's thoughts on this and you're already arguing with the person who WROTE the guide...

just need to test it myself to see.
    Why did you come here to ask this if you were going to not believe anyone and decide to test it yourself... the whole point is that you literally don't generate soul shards fast enough to justify using it on your effigy for 35% of the damage. UA stacks up to 5 times on its primary target and is such a short duration that the initial few will be falling off long before you can re-cap your shards at 5 which would be the qualifying situation where you start putting them on your effigy... it's never going to happen.

MG isn't mutually exclusive with UA, contagion or effigy
    Of course they're not mutually exclusive, they're on separate talent tiers... but just look at the math of what you're saying...

Boss + Effigy:
    (UA Effigy + (UA Boss * MG)) * LegendaryBonus(2)
    (0.35 + (1 * 1.70)) * 1.08 = 221.4% damage

Boss only:
    ((UA Boss + UA Boss) * MG) * LegendaryBonus(1)
    ((1.0 + 1.0) * 1.7) * 1.04 = 353.6% damage

It's pretty clear... you don't even need to test it
    Last edited by Tellof; 2017-02-08 at 07:44 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    MG isn't mutually exclusive with UA, contagion or effigy and you can't think of UA on the effigy as "losing 65% damage" because it isn't like you're using that shard somewhere else.
    Except you are using that shard elsewhere.

Unlike the other DoTs, UA isn't limited to one per target. Damage is lost using UA on the effigy because you could have cast that second UA on the main target for full damage (boosted by MG) instead. Even with contagion it's still a relatively small damage increase and not worth the shard; especially if using MG.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    The bracers were designed before MG existed; they promote spreading UA as a playstyle which you really do not want to do with MG.

They can be good with a WiA build on a council fight like Heroic High Bot, or short lived adds that you can roll UAs into and get the shards back like lashers on High Bot or the 4 small adds on Anomaly.
    Bingo.

Except for situation like Soulzar descrbied, there's literally nothing that changes.

7+ Year Old Account
    The bracers only effect Botanist heroic (and lower) where you get VERY minor gains by spreading your UA during p3 IF you are WiA.

Thats it.

If you are MG, the only thing that EVER changes your rotation is Whispers.
    Don't be like haunt guy.

Deleted
    I appreciate the constructive feedback guys but I still can't get the idea out if my head. MG isn't mutually exclusive with UA, contagion or effigy and you can't think of UA on the effigy as "losing 65% damage" because it isn't like you're using that shard somewhere else.

But you can and should be using that shard somewhere else. Remember, the UA you put on Effigy only does 35% of it's normal damage so it is simply not worth losing so much just to get a 4% buff via the bracers. That shard would be better spent putting a UA on a normal target, you will always get way more damage out of that than the 4% will ever give you, and UA is not like your other dots, in that you can "stack" it, whereas you only have one agony, corruption whatever. Even corruption isn't worth using on Effigy unless you either (a) use Absolute Corruption or (b) you have nothing else do do

Even more when you consider that using Malefic Grasp you can buff that UA by 70% (and even more if you use Reap as well).

Of course Malefic Grasp works with Contagion, However, the bracers were designed to be used in a rotation that didn;t even have Malefic Grasp and even then it was very hard to get anything useful out of them by spreading UA to more than one target. Malefic Grasp renders doing that a waste of time and damage

And on top of that, when spec'd into contagion simply putting UA on the effigy increases all of your damage on it by 22-26% (depending on the timing) on top of the extra 4% on the boss/main target.

Dot up effigy > dot up boss>UA effigy>UA boss>instantly MG boss.

I'm going to test this with different values of haste and see how viable it is or isn't...just need to test it myself to see.
    It isn't viable, if it was Terryn or Pyromancer would have found it long time ago
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2017-02-08 at 10:24 PM.