Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Forgot this was coming out, saw Cohh playing it a bit and I was hyped as hell for it so I downloaded it yesterday and have been playing all day today since I had no work today! This game is seriously awesome and I honestly like it better than a souls game due to the setting its in.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Forgot this was coming out, saw Cohh playing it a bit and I was hyped as hell for it so I downloaded it yesterday and have been playing all day today since I had no work today! This game is seriously awesome and I honestly like it better than a souls game due to the setting its in.
    IMO the combat is just all around better then the souls series. This game took the thins I loved about Bloodborne and Souls then put it in cool setting.

Also love the loot system.

Also its 60fps woot lol.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Heads up for people. You can get a free Nioh theme (whether you bought the game or not) as long as you have PS+.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Man, streamed the alpha demo and loved it, it actually made me like Dark Souls 3 even less i loved it so much, ordered a copy off amazon for 'day one' delivery and now i get an email saying to expect it next week. One of my 3 big releases for the rest of the year and im salty without playing it.

For those who have how bad was the nerf? i actually liked the solid challenge of the alpha, the fishing village was genuinely challenging like my first Boletarian Palace runs back in '09 and i didn't mind the constant gear replacing. I know the japanese players complained it was too hard, has it had a big downgrade? i'd hate to see it turn into another lords of the fallen.

I don't remember how it compares to the demos, but I think the difficulty of the game is perfectly fine for the most part. Clearing the zone is definitely the hardest at the start of the game because you don't know the mobs or what you can get away with, and you don't have all your skills. That said, mobs stay dangerous, and bosses continue to generally escalate in difficulty overtime.

The hardest part of the game is definitely finding all the little green dudes, though.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am stuck on the first boss because I chose sickle. I'm gonna go for the axe when I play it in a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Man, streamed the alpha demo and loved it, it actually made me like Dark Souls 3 even less i loved it so much, ordered a copy off amazon for 'day one' delivery and now i get an email saying to expect it next week. One of my 3 big releases for the rest of the year and im salty without playing it.

For those who have how bad was the nerf? i actually liked the solid challenge of the alpha, the fishing village was genuinely challenging like my first Boletarian Palace runs back in '09 and i didn't mind the constant gear replacing. I know the japanese players complained it was too hard, has it had a big downgrade? i'd hate to see it turn into another lords of the fallen.
    I think most of the people complaining about the nerf are mostly just not understanding that the reason Nioh was so hard initially is that you had to unlearn a lot of your habits from Dark Souls and learn new habits from Nioh. Nioh is and always has been more punishing but ultimately easier in terms of avoiding attacks because they aren't at intricate and they don't track you nearly as much. I will say that Nue, the electric dog boss in the Alpha demo one shot me in the demo with his lightning attack, but in the retail version he would 2 or 3 shot me. I can't really speak to the rest of the stuff in the first 3 areas because I never died and rarely got hit, but honestly that was mostly just because I had done them in the demos and I knew exactly what to expect.

From what I can tell the overall difficulty is still under the same principle: Nioh is more punishing, but ultimately mechanically less complex than Dark Souls (I'm referring to the enemy AI and movesets, obvious Nioh has a much more complex combat system).

10+ Year Old Account
    Just for fun, a Nioh trailer from 2005

so I never got into dark souls but Nioh sounds cool. How does the combat work exactly? Is it like Bayonetta with combos or something?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WackyWombat View Post
    For Honor is not worth purchasing strictly for the single player. If your internet is so terrible that you're this concerned about the always online aspect, it's probably not a game for you.

On topic, Nioh looks fantastic. Can't wait to give it a try on Tuesday.
    It's not so much my internet connection that concerns me (I have FIOS so I'm good) it's the fact that you have to depend on their servers to work just to play single player. So if the servers go down for whatever reason like it getting hacked or it simply goes down because of malfunctions, it means you won't be able to play the game at all. Now, that game you bought for $60 is useless and I hate the idea of buying a game for that much money and not being able to play it because their servers were shit. I don't know how people can be ok with this. I mean instead of having control over at least 50% of the game people are just ok with leaving it up to a server to determine if they're going to be able to play the game or not. Single player I'd imagine won't be the greatest but at least I'll still be able to play the game at all.

People right away go for the internet connection excuse but that's not really even the point. The point is having to depend on the servers working to play any part of the game at all. And from my experience with The Division, I can see the same bullshit happening all over again in For Honor.

As for Nioh I thought the game look fucking badass and can't wait until I can get my hands on it. I'm usually not a fan of the crushing difficulty style of gameplay but I think I can handle Nioh. Like Bloodborne it just looks too cool to pass up.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-02-10 at 04:37 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    so I never got into dark souls but Nioh sounds cool. How does the combat work exactly? Is it like Bayonetta with combos or something?
    If you don't like Dark Souls I doubt you'll like Nioh. The combat on a surface level is very similar except Nioh trades difficult enemy AI for a more complex combat system.

Ok so the inevitable question from a n00b like me.. is there a preferred "build" and weapon choice for a new player who wants a .. dare I say it.. easier ride? Or is the game just as difficult regardless of build and weapon choices? Also how heavy is it reliant on blocking/parrying? I'm an spam attacks/dodge type player.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Ok so the inevitable question from a n00b like me.. is there a preferred "build" and weapon choice for a new player who wants a .. dare I say it.. easier ride? Or is the game just as difficult regardless of build and weapon choices? Also how heavy is it reliant on blocking/parrying? I'm an spam attacks/dodge type player.

Thanks!
    I'm no expert but have spear as one of your weapons, the extra reach will come in handy during boss fights. Also learning to block will save your life, it's doable by dodging but hard. Some stuff you have to dodge and other block. I't took me quite a bit to figure that out because there don't seem to be as many if at all any iFrames.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post

Thanks!
    I'd say the Spear and Katana are most likely going to be the most noob friendly builds. They gain damage from Body and Heart which also increase your Health and Ki the most. Only problem with the spear is there are a lot of tight spaces in Nioh and you'll bounce off walls alot.

I am a dodge player in the Soulsbourne games too, but Nioh is more about avoiding some attacks rather than just dodging them. Enemies don't track you or have nearly as many gap closers as they do in Dark Souls, so you can actually avoid a decent amount of attacks just by walking/dashing away. The iframes in Nioh seem to be somewhat less forgiving but in mid stance for instance, you can hit x to dodge which will do a short Bloodborne style dash and then you can press it again to do a roll that seems to have quite a bit of iframes.

The most important thing I can tell anyone who's coming from Dark Souls/Bloodborne to Nioh is that if you get hit, immediately block. Most people will try to dodge out of the combo, but many enemies' combos lock you in unless you block. Can't tell you how many times I died in the Alpha demo because I tried to roll out after getting hit only to stay locked up and destroyed.

Thanks for the tips. Some useful advice there. Appreciate it.

my copy finally arrived and that opening level was not what i expected, nice they didn't show that at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Reviews are pretty incredible: http://opencritic.com/game/3539/nioh

"Nioh is ranked in the top 2.0% of games scored on OpenCritic"

So I'm definitely enjoying the game but it doesn't really compare to a souls game. For one the missions get repetitive but I can't just ignore them because unlike a souls game levels and gear matter. In a souls game you can usually get by regardless of gear or level but in this game if you go into a mission without being properly leveled or geared then not only will enemies take a long time to kill but they will probably also one shot you.

It's just exhausting going through my inventory after every mission and equipping or soul matching gear so not I'm not making things more difficult for myself. As such I usually just do a few missions then take a break.

Also collecting Kodamas gets old pretty fast but I dare not miss any in case they fix that elixir exploit.

Been busy with FFXIV so not had much time but tonight i just beat Hino Enma and i will bet good money thats the boss Polygon could not beat. Unless you do once high stance then roll away you are bodied super hard otherwise its easy.

Right now i'm lvl 31 and focussing body, heart and dex for a Ninjutsu build, throwing poison shuriken and caltrops at a boss and having them work well is fantastic stuff, cna't wait for them to patch in the pvp.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd assume they were at least a bit further than that. At least one of the later bosses (no spoilars) is way harder than Hino Enma, plus she was a beta boss as well