Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Unlike the proletariat praising Bernie Sanders, I still believe in the importance and wisdom of building an investor class.

Can't do that without a healthy Wall Street.

Of course, this is a forum where every idiot Target stockboy blows their Tax Refund on a new gaming PC, rather than putting it in a Fidelity account or something. So I don't expect my beliefs regarding the investor class to go over too well.
    Good thing it's just that - beliefs.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Lefties since they lost and this fucks up their policies. Right wingers are fine with Trump and Goldman Sachs policy.
    Fascists are fine with Trump and Goldman Sachs policy.

Fixed that for you. The American right wing now consists of distraught true republicans witnessing their party hijacked by neo nazis, racists, fascist and useful idiots and the party filled with all aforementioned except the true republicans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Who's the cuck now?
    Just "draining the swamp".

- - - Updated - - -

Unlike the proletariat praising Bernie Sanders, I still believe in the importance and wisdom of building an investor class.

Of course, this is a forum where every idiot Target stockboy blows their Tax Refund on a new gaming PC, rather than putting it in a Fidelity account or something. So I don't expect my beliefs regarding the investor class to go over too well.
    I'm curious to hear what kind of insight that prompted your statement, which is a wide sweeping generalization with no basis in fact.
    But hey, I guess you just wanna insult everyone that don't believe what you believe and write everyone off as unworthy of discussion. How typical.

Deleted

Well we know how it went last time, when we had the average Joe investing.

Wall Street is a tree that needs to be pruned for better health, not given Miracle-gro

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Well we know how it went last time, when we had the average Joe investing.
    We walked it off. I made back everything, and then some, years ago. My parents lost 40% of their retirement. Wiped out on that terrible Friday. It recovered years ago. You know who didn't recover? People who lived beyond their means. The word for that is "fair".

Honestly, everything Trump is so out of time, it's bizarre. He talks Terrorism, and people act like it's 9/12 and the Towers fell yesterday. We talk economics, and it's like the Financial Crisis didn't begin ten years ago.

So much has happened and so much has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Wall Street is a tree that needs to be pruned for better health, not given Miracle-gro
    What Skroe is proposing is more like the Simpsons episode where Homer uses plutonium to grow Tomacco.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Wall Street should be regulated no doubt, but an America where every American has an investment account is a better one than some proletariat paradise where Banks are basically credit unions and financial success is something to be embarrassed about.

Making money is a noble endeavor. The essence of "Greed is good" still stands.

We walked it off. I made back everything, and then some, years ago. My parents lost 40% of their retirement. Wiped out on that terrible Friday. It recovered years ago. You know who didn't recover? People who lived beyond their means. The word for that is "fair".

Honestly, everything Trump is so out of time, it's bizarre. He talks Terrorism, and people act like it's 9/12 and the Towers fell yesterday. We talk economics, and it's like the Financial Crisis didn't begin ten years ago.

People living outside their means is the entire basis for our economy. If everybody suddenly just started buying only what they needed and setting aside the rest for a rainy day, then we would well and truly be fucked.

"I did okay out the recession so it wasn't that bad". We didn't walk it off. People that really were living beyond their means didn't realise they were - the banks screwed them for their profits and bonuses. If people didn't live beyond their means they wouldn't take out loans and mortgages.

Yes, it begun 10 years ago and things have changed, but to not be cognizant or not learn from it, is asinine.
    Last edited by willtron; 2017-02-13 at 11:11 AM.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Deleted

To be fair, he has so far done a great job eliminating measures that were set in places so that we weren't going to create a bubble again. If it continues along those lines, I am not having much faith in it not bursting again.

As for the people that didn't recover and living beyond their means, I agree there certainly was a lot of people that did do that, but a lot of those people were led on by what was supposed to be experts. Then there was also all the people that didn't actually live beyond their means, but simply were dragged down with the ship.
    And in all of that, those that "lived" the most beyond their means, those who set up the house of cards, those people were bailed out.

Wall Street should be regulated no doubt, but an America where every American has an investment account is a better one than some proletariat paradise where Banks are basically credit unions and financial success is something to be embarrassed about.

You probably don't realise this, but you know there is a middle ground, right?
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    This narrative of parity between the two parties is a myth constructed by suburban whites who aren't impacted by GOP social or economic policies in the short term.

So, no.
    Oh lord, the fact people believe this to be a "primary" reason shows just how deep into victim complexes and White guilt people have become lmao.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    But..Rich people running the finances of the US is good.

Rich people=Lots of money
    US Economy=Not lots of money
    Therefore..
    US economy run by rich people=Lots of money for everyone.

God, its like you guys can't do simple math. /s
    They can do alternative maths though.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    You probably don't realise this, but you know there is a middle ground, right?
    Absolutely. But Sanderista / lefty rhetoric and schemes against "the banks" is in no way shape or form "the middle ground".

I have no intrinsict problem with Wall Street regulation. But a society where Americans broadly make money from active participation in investing, and not just buying goods and geting a paycheck, will be a richer society. And it'll also teach better financial habits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    To be fair, he has so far done a great job eliminating measures that were set in places so that we weren't going to create a bubble again. If it continues along those lines, I am not having much faith in it not bursting again.

As for the people that didn't recover and living beyond their means, I agree there certainly was a lot of people that did do that, but a lot of those people were led on by what was supposed to be experts. Then there was also all the people that didn't actually live beyond their means, but simply were dragged down with the ship.
    And in all of that, those that "lived" the most beyond their means, those who set up the house of cards, those people were bailed out.
    Bailing out Wall Street was a shit sandwich. Nobody said we were going to enjoy it. Doesn't make it any less necessary.

Wall Street should be regulated no doubt, but an America where every American has an investment account is a better one than some proletariat paradise where Banks are basically credit unions
    I agree, but decades of stagnating wages has hampered the average American's ability to invest- the lower 90% of Americans only own around 20% of invested wealth

financial success is something to be embarrassed about.
    I would never suggest something so silly.

Making money is great, but screwing people for profits and dumping half of your profits into share buybacks, etc. is not good for the economy as a whole. A fundamental problem with capitalism is that wealth compounds itself, resulting in increasing inequality. Wanting to make more money is good for innovation and good for business, but too much greed on Wall Street is only good for Wall Street.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2017-02-13 at 11:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

You walked it off. I do very much enjoy the berne bashing mixed with the solidairty!

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely. But Sanderista / lefty rhetoric and schemes against "the banks" is in no way shape or form "the middle ground".

I have no intrinsict problem with Wall Street regulation. But a society where Americans broadly make money from active participation in investing, and not just buying goods and geting a paycheck, will be a richer society. And it'll also teach better financial habits.

- - - Updated - - -

Bailing out Wall Street was a shit sandwich. Nobody said we were going to enjoy it. Doesn't make it any less necessary.
    It really wasnt. The treasury (fdic) could have guaranteed depositer assets and let the investment arms go bankrupt. Then the executices at those firms could seek to get their bonuses from a bankrupt firm.

Deleted
    And yet here we are, with the dismantling of the restrictions that were put in place to lower the risk of having to bail them out again.

How long before we'll start seeing the same signs again? Investment firms chasing even pennies to fuel their own profits several fold.

10+ Year Old Account

This particular idolizing of behavior that is dubious at best is also quite amusing. I hope you realize gordon gecko was a cautionary tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    You walked it off. I do very much enjoy the berne bashing mixed with the solidairty!

- - - Updated - - -

It really wasnt. The treasury (fdic) could have guaranteed depositer assets and let the investment arms go bankrupt. Then the executices at those firms could seek to get their bonuses from a bankrupt firm.
    And wiped out the entirety of people's 401K and IRAs, as opposed to just double-digit percentages of them? I think not. Investment Arms are where people kept their financial future.