Can someone help me help our mage ?

Hey.
    I am the guild leader for semi casual guild We are currently progressing through NH heroic and today was a rather terribad day at tichoundrius.

We just don't have the dps what so ever and our mage is underperforming. He knows it and is doing everything he can do improve and i want to help. Problem is, i have NEVER thouched a mage in my life. Ever.

Can anyone glance over these logs and see if there is something painfully obvious that need to be manhandled ?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...kBbd4/#fight=3
    Maybe not the best logs to check i guess.
    Here is another one
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...AHjc6y#fight=8

His armory.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ksilver/simple

I know we got many issues on this fight, but we are working on all of them.

Thank you in advance

from a quick glance nothing looks egregiously wrong with his gear, talents, or spell breakdown, save for he could have some better trinkets and trinket usage. fire mages arent in a great spot right now on most (all but ~2) nighthold bosses and he doesnt have the bracers or the belt which are a ~170k dps increase together which would have put him at #5 on dps for your second log, which is about right for someone of his gear level if he had 2 good legendaries. without ice floes fire mages also lost a lot of damage especially on a fight like tichondrius where there is a fair bit of movement if you get unlucky with debuffs or pillar placements.

someone could go more in depth and pick apart his spell usage.

honestly he would do better as arcane without fire belt and/or bracers.

Kheath pretty much said it, he could use way better trinkets (trinket chart can be found on altered-time or mage discord), he has no fire legendarys and from experience / reading other posts fire mages are pretty dependent on the bracers and belt for single target which your mage has neither of. I would suggest he work on better trinkets and switch to arcane for now as he will probably do more dps as arcane with the legendarys he has compared to his fire dps.

legendaries. tbh, without good legendaries fire is bad right now.
    Beside that, trinket choice . try to get a higher ilvl trinket asap. http://imgur.com/a/qZyCb scroll down and you should see fire trinket comparisons.

really a shame that blizzard has done this with legendaries -- that they make such a difference but you can't work towards them -- towards what you need -- just rng.

Thanks guys. Mucho appreciated. I guess i will need to talk to him about changing spec then. Go arcane.

Again. Thanks

Just looking at the logs a little hes not using his cds well, this is the main reason hes so far behind where he should be other reason is trinkets and relics but seriously he just needs to do some research into the spec a bit more. Tell him to check out https://www.altered-time.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4 and take some time to understand it.

On the star auger log he uses 9 flamestrikes, 16 dragon breaths(without helm) and 24 living bombs. These are all aoe spells that unless the adds in the last phase get way out of control he should not be using this much.
    He should be using mirror images instead of rop, its a lot easier to use since its a 2 min 'fire and forget cd', outside of pure single target scenarios he should be using confalg instead of pyromaniac.

Quote Originally Posted by Aktec View Post
    Just looking at the logs a little hes not using his cds well, this is the main reason hes so far behind where he should be other reason is trinkets and relics but seriously he just needs to do some research into the spec a bit more. Tell him to check out https://www.altered-time.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4 and take some time to understand it.

On the star auger log he uses 9 flamestrikes, 16 dragon breaths(without helm) and 24 living bombs. These are all aoe spells that unless the adds in the last phase get way out of control he should not be using this much.
    He should be using mirror images instead of rop, its a lot easier to use since its a 2 min 'fire and forget cd', outside of pure single target scenarios he should be using confalg instead of pyromaniac.
    Thank you. Will give him the link and the tips here

As for the star augur. Adds wasn't out of control. So he might have been using aoe spells on singletarget.

Looks like his spell usage isn't too bad and what he really needs to do is pray to the RNG gods more for bracers and belt. Unfortunately, that's primarily it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you tank the Blood (and rest of the adds) on the boss ? Or away from the boss on Tich? We just killed Heroic Tich last night and tanked all the adds and boss at the door to the balcony on the left. (We are similarly geared as you guys - 885-890 ilevel)

Initially we were tanking them on opposite sides of the room like it is discussed in most strats. However, we are very melee heavy, so we just stacked them in one spot and our fire mages' DPS just sky rocketed with that. The Bloods dont have all that HP and you can nuke them down before they heal from his Vampiric Aura.

The stacked strat is very good for a fire mage. He picked meteor as T100 talent which is fine and will work much better with the stacked strat. I would recommend picking Cinderstorm and learning to use it. Also, stand in Dragon's Breath range. No Diadem

His legendaries suck specially for Tich where you font lust on pull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Okay why would he ever cast flamestrike on star augur. He doesn't use his CD's well, he missed a full combustion cycle and a couple meteors on that star augur because of that. There's much more that he could do to improve besides to pray to legendary gods. For starters he needs weakauras or tellmewhens set up to remind him to use his abilities on cooldown, and to make sure his combustions are set up with tons of instant cast spells in them.

On tichondrius he used combustion on the bats, moments before getting bloodlust and a 30% damage buff on the boss. That was a mistake in my mind. The bats die so fast you never get the mastery bonus from combustion and anything beyond a few living bombs, pf, flame strikes and dragons breaths are wasted casts.
    Last edited by Shuffled; 2017-02-13 at 06:52 PM.

Can someone help me help our mage ?
    Yeah, make him re-roll hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    Do you tank the Blood (and rest of the adds) on the boss ? Or away from the boss on Tich? We just killed Heroic Tich last night and tanked all the adds and boss at the door to the balcony on the left. (We are similarly geared as you guys - 885-890 ilevel)

Initially we were tanking them on opposite sides of the room like it is discussed in most strats. However, we are very melee heavy, so we just stacked them in one spot and our fire mages' DPS just sky rocketed with that. The Bloods dont have all that HP and you can nuke them down before they heal from his Vampiric Aura.

The stacked strat is very good for a fire mage. He picked meteor as T100 talent which is fine and will work much better with the stacked strat. I would recommend picking Cinderstorm and learning to use it. Also, stand in Dragon's Breath range. No Diadem

His legendaries suck specially for Tich where you font lust on pull.
    No. we tried stacking them and that did not go well for us

Deleted
    Tank the boss where he is and tank the adds at the opposite side of the room. Right and left side for healthy and unhealty people. Let the melee stay at the boss until p3. Ranges especially mages are sufficient for the adds. Let him spec Cinders and LB for the adds.

Make sure that all your dps save their AoE Cds till ~ 8 secs before batphase ends. Then you will have enough bats that almost everybody in your raid will have a purple buff.

If you lack DPS at Ticho you do not handle the bats correctly, same for Healers without mana.

Summary: P1 + P2: Melee on Boss all the time, Ranged on adds at the opposite side of the room
    P3: All DPS on adds once the big add spawned
    Batphase: Save your large AoE until many many bats are spawned... your mage needs timing with his LB here.

Four your information: FMs are in a terrible spot without the right legendaries. Ticho without helm is... hard. You need at least bracers, helm and belt as a mage in order to be somewhat competitive at the moment in Nighthold and even then there are fights like Elisande or Botanist where you are just crap like hell because of heave movement.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/11#difficulty=4

And these stats are better than they should be because of Skorpyron

Mythic logs look even worse because the T-Set is crap as well.