Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Ether is correct. Afterall, the Earth has been going thru those cycles for a very, very, very long time.

I was watching this on the news and they said many people refused to evacuate. They do not understand how much force is behind a 100 foot tall wave of water rushing down a valley? Devastation galore and I hope it does not happen. But no way in hell I would still be there if I lived in the path of that tragic event.
    Yeah I don't know why people live in the path of dams like that. Oh well.

But yes people truly do not understand what that amount of water rushing downhill at you can do. I understand wanting to stay in your home but if that thing goes your home will be gone.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Any idea how much rain they are anticipating?
    Not really since the measurement used seems to be seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Not really since the measurement used seems to be seconds
    Oh haha. Well alrighty.

Either way I hope it's not an obscene amount to the point where they can't handle it.

I guess this goes to show that it's definitely worth your time and money to invest in infrastructure such as this. Because if this thing goes it'll end up costing WAY more than whatever it would have been to keep up repairs on it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

As long as they do not use the emergency spillway, they should be just fine. They will have to keep releases very high until the rains kick in tomorrow evening. Otherwise, they will basically have to release it as fast as it comes in once the rains start. The damage on the underside of the emergency spillway is real, so they shouldn't take any chances with more erosion in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Weather forecasts are showing rain starting again as soon as tomorrow. Terrible news.
    Yep. Doesn't look good for the people down river of the dam. Its going to be hard for them to get in there and fix things for a bit.

The real question is how can I spin this to be Donald Trump's fault?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    No need, his words of support and federal help offered in the face of a major catastrophe will speak for themselves.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

If he refuses to declare a federal emergency...refuse to allocate funding to everyone affected, refuses to send FEMA...and says California, you're on your own...

Here you go!

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2017...ucture/516417/
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    This is an absolutely crock of shit. This is the responsibility of the State not the Federal government. This is a mark of failure by many California governors. Gray Davis, Arnold, Jerry Brown. They should have been maintaining this shit on an ongoing basis not when tragedy strikes. Our California tax dollars NOT at work.

Instead we have corrupt politicians just lining their pockets with fat pensions instead of doing whats right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Probably caused by Global Warming. Or is it climate change? I forget which it is called now.

Or it could even be HAARP.

Either way, fingers will be pointed in someone else's direction other than their own.
    maybe someone destroyed the beaver dam.

guys, its global warming! we.. we didnt listen!
    Last edited by Fat Mac; 2017-02-14 at 04:45 PM.

Sounds like California should have reinforced the spillway with concrete years ago like has been suggested many times. The damn system was built in the 50s nothing last forever. Sorry for people who have/will lose their homes.

The title of this thread is so exciting.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The governor just requested for the Federal Emergency Declaration. Likely the President is just now getting the request.

FEMA already has 140 personnel (and growing) helping with evacuation, shelter and providing supplies. Army Corp of Engineers is also helping DSOD.

When I talked to friends working at DSOD northern division, they don’t seem to be all that concerned about catastrophic failure. The did the evacuation as a matter of public safety.

With regard to major population centers located downstream of a dam, I doubt that you can find a dam in the US that won’t affect one if it failed. SD is basically under the shadow of San Vicente. If San Vicente ever failed catastrophically, Lakeside, Santee, El Cajon, Spring Valley and San Diego are gone.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    This issue is actually exasperated by the efforts of the Animal Rights groups in California. They have fought for and pretty much blocked dam construction. Putting a halt to all dam projects in California since 1970 . So, if you don't build secondary dams to build reservoirs and maintain the ones you already have in place. Then you get this issue and the lack of water issue you already have in the state.

It should be noted California since 1970 has gone from 19 million people to 40 million people. They haven't built any new dams to provide the water that is needed in that time. As you can see, if this one breaks a wall of water 30 foot high could hit San Diego.

Yup, those animals that would have been displaced by water and those salmon that have to climb a dam are worth it.
    Last edited by Youn; 2017-02-14 at 08:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    This is an absolutely crock of shit. This is the responsibility of the State not the Federal government. This is a mark of failure by many California governors. Gray Davis, Arnold, Jerry Brown. They should have been maintaining this shit on an ongoing basis not when tragedy strikes. Our California tax dollars NOT at work.

Instead we have corrupt politicians just lining their pockets with fat pensions instead of doing whats right.
    it's a mark of failure on the entire nation since our infrastructure is in overall bad shape.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Youn View Post
    It should be noted California since 1970 has gone from 19 million people to 40 million people. They haven't built any new dams to provide the water that is needed in that time. As you can see, if this one breaks a wall of water 30 foot high could hit San Diego.
    That´s a distance of 500 miles... what the hell are you talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    They actually make more money from illegal migrants working at farms than they spend on them. Economics~!
    Every thread is not about Trump and every thread is not about illegal immigrants breaking the law.

OT This is along the lines of the continuous drought -> fires -> mudslides we have every 8-10 years.
    We need to build infrastructure to hold water in times of rain, and for California we are getting absolutely dumped on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    it's a mark of failure on the entire nation since our infrastructure is in overall bad shape.
    That's something I find hilarious about all the people trying to turn this into a partisan issue and blame Democrats/Jerry Brown over this. This is a national problem and we've seen this sort of thing happen in conservative states (only we saw actual failures in some of those States) like South Carolina and Alabama.

Gizmodo had a pretty good write-up on how the attempts to turn this into a partisan attack just ignores how crumbling infrastructure is a national problem that everyone has been ignoring.

http://gizmodo.com/why-all-americans...lle-1792304716

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Every thread is not about Trump and every thread is not about illegal immigrants breaking the law.

OT This is along the lines of the continuous drought -> fires -> mudslides we have every 8-10 years.
    We need to build infrastructure to hold water in times of rain, and for California we are getting absolutely dumped on right now.
    Don't tell me that, I was just replying to other people who brought it up.