Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I mean, I guess that would make even a tiny bit of sense if I was Alt-Right, but continue being a Hypocrite, it's actually pretty funny how detached you people are.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean like all the leftiess that just scream "OMFG FAKE NEWS!!" anytime a Breitbart article is used, yet clamor to post things from Huffpost or CNN that have been proven to be outright false?

Yeah dude, SO CAREFUL!
    Brietbart pushed Pizzagate. They are known purveyors of fake news.

What has CNN or HuffPo posted that was at all equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    anytime a Breitbart article is used.
    Let me know when 95% of the shit Breitbart posts isn't bullshit and then you mite have a argument champ.

CNN doesn't even come close to the bullshit Breitbart posts and I say that not liking new news station.

For example of Bretbart's bullshit, I direct you to the recent event where they used Boogie2988's pic in one of there shitty "story's".

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAct...boogie2988_to/
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Which is the fucking problem. "This word totally means something different because we decided it did!"
    No.
    It doesn't.
    Fake news means "news that isn't real." If you use the term "fake news" in any way to mean something it's not, you're trying to co-opt it as a catch-phrase to encompass shit that isn't actually fake. "It's fake news, and by that I mean it's news that isn't actually fake, but it's news that represents FACTS in a way I don't like."
    Why would you ever use the word "fake" for any other reason in any other situation?

Because some people started applying it to news they didn't like doesn't mean it's not factually accurate news. Faster, catchier is the problem. Take some time, analyze news, and stop dismissing sources because of who they are. You can't even deny that you have actively dismissed information based on the source. This whole conversation stems from you doing that. Yes, dismiss the articles that are actually lying. Take note who wrote them and make sure they didn't offer retractions. Saying "I watch him for the jokes" is fine. Saying "its is AS biased as any other news" and then calling it fake news isn't fine. It's not fake. In the slightest. It's real. The opposite of fake. Stop sticking your head in the sand and saying "I don't like this source so FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS LALALA".

Saying "I don't watch <x> because it's fake news" announces to the world that you aren't capable of critically analyzing what you're reading or watching, unless there's a consensus that it's fake as all hell. That, or you're actively trying to suppress news that you don't like.
    Take that up with the media outlets using it as such. I am not going to follow your special rules for word usage, I will stick to the vernacular. Which, even you admit, has taken "fake news" to mean all manner of misleading, misinforming or otherwise.

As for your last 2 paragraphs, Not once have I said that? At most, I will call out a specific article as having elements of fake news. Will that make me avoid that source wholesale in the future? No, but it will make me more hesitant to believe things from that source, leading to extra fact checking for me. If it happens all the time, yeh eventually I will stop viewing the source, any reasonable person would.

I think a lot of people have a hard time view a person as an individual and only see groups. Just because I defend some of the shit Trump does, does not make me a Trump supporter. Any more than me defending Obama meant I supported him.

Words only have the meanings WE as the people who use them assign to them. You sound a bit like a anti gay person blabing about marriage. "Words have meanings and marriage is between a man and a woman".
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2017-02-14 at 10:22 PM.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Take that up with the media outlets using it as such. I am not going to follow your special rules for word usage, I will stick to the vernacular. Which, even you admit, has taken "fake news" to mean all manner of misleading, misinforming or otherwise.

As for your last 2 paragraphs, Not once have I said that? At most, I will call out a specific article as having elements of fake news. Will that make me avoid that source wholesale in the future? No, but it will make me more hesitant to believe things from that source, leading to extra fact checking for me. If it happens all the time, yeh eventually I will stop viewing the source, any reasonable person would.

I think a lot of people have a hard time view a person as an individual and only see groups. Just because I defend some of the shit Trump does, does not make me a Trump supporter. Any more than me defending Obama meant I supported him.
    Again, citation needed. What news outlets are using 'fake news' to refer to anything other than 'news that is fake'? PROTIP: If said news outlet has actively pushed fake news in the past, i.e. Breitbart, they don't get to change the definition.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like John Oliver. My wife and I watch him. Sure he is left, but not far enough that he could be considered an extremist.

Couple things on this episode.

The Empire carpet commercial blasting in the background was funny.
    The dude at the end in the fake commercial was an instant classic.

Why are we using a fake news comedy show to discuss what is and isn't news?

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Again, citation needed. What news outlets are using 'fake news' to refer to anything other than 'news that is fake'? PROTIP: If said news outlet has actively pushed fake news in the past, i.e. Breitbart, they don't get to change the definition.
    Yeh, this is another thing I dont care to prove. People are welcome to believe w/e they want.

I personally do not use the term to hand wave away things that may be inconvenient to a held position. I use it specifically to describe misleading, misrepresented or flat out false reporting. If the article twists the FACTS to suit a narrative and give a false impression of reality(see my shitty driving story pages back), its "fake news". I have yet to see any news source that doesnt practice that on some level.

Does that mean I discredit all news from go? No, it means when looking at an individual story I know I have to vet it across many source and likely sift through some shit to sort out objective truth.
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2017-02-14 at 10:36 PM.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Yeh, this is another thing I dont care to prove. People are welcome to believe w/e they want.

I personally do not use the term to hand wave away things that may be inconvenient to a held position. I use it specifically to describe misleading, misrepresented or flat out false reporting. If the article twists the FACTS to suit a narrative and give a false impression of reality(see my shitty driving story pages back), its "fake news". I have yet to see any news source that doesnt practice that on some level.
    So, first you claim that people are using a definition of fake news that does not match what the rest of us know to be the common definition. Then you claim it's 'media outlets' doing this. Then you refuse to provide any proof of either of these claims.

Okay, yeah, you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    It's amazing to me how you Trump supporters continue to dismiss everything you don't like to hear about him, calling everyone else a liar, the man is clearly mentally ill, and not fit to be president of anything. He makes up his own facts, it was a mistake voting for him, and you will realise that eventually.
    Its even funnier how liberals consistently keep falling for troll attempts disguised as "trump supporters".

Come on man. It wasn't even a hard troll attempt lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Because it's not fake news.
    Unless you can prove it is?

Incoming deflections in 3.. 2.. 1..
    It's a satirical comedy show about the news... it isn't news by definition im not sure what you are asking me to prove.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    What does John Oliver being a foreigner or liking Trump have to do with anything? Can you prove anything he said to be wrong, If u even watched the video?
    In Trump's America, your opinion only counts if you were born in the USA, and support Trump.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    False equivalence, another favourite tactic of the alt right.
    Instant labeling, normal tactic done by the left without any knowledge of someone political opinions

I bet you think I'm alt-right to, and that I hate gays and women.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Why are we using a fake news comedy show to discuss what is and isn't news?
    What in the video was fake?

Like others have said, Its fucken said when a comdey show does more real news then anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a satirical comedy show about the news... it isn't news by definition im not sure what you are asking me to prove.
    I don't think u know what the bolded word means.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    In Trump's America, your opinion only counts if you were born in the USA, and support Trump.
    Right.......
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    Most Pro Trump 'people' don't watch videos unless it is from a very right wing source. Cause otherwise it is 'fake news' and all that.
    Let's be honest, most of the time people don't watch videos period, even if its 30sec or less. This goof wants us to watch a fucking 23 minute video so we can discuss what john oliver thinks of trump? I already know, hes in the entertainment industry, you know the democrats propaganda wing, of course he hates trump with a passion. You libs sure love your echo chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven French View Post
    Let's be honest, most of the time people don't watch videos period, even if its 30sec or less. This goof wants us to watch a fucking 23 minute video so we can discuss what john oliver thinks of trump? I already know, hes in the entertainment industry, you know the democrats propaganda wing, of course he hates trump with a passion. You libs sure love your echo chambers.
    Funny thing is, he even anticipates and responds to people like you poisoning the well. Nothing in the video is factually wrong (well, except for the things Trump and company say), and it should be disturbing to anyone regardless of their political affiliation.

OK OK

Was he wrong anywhere in the video?

- - - Updated - - -

You may not watch most videos, and I'm curious what statistics you have to prove most don't watch them as well. Can't help people with low attention spans.
    Last edited by kail; 2017-02-14 at 11:11 PM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Funny thing is, he even anticipates and responds to people like you poisoning the well. Nothing in the video is factually wrong (well, except for the things Trump and company say), and it should be disturbing to anyone regardless of their political affiliation.
    Poisoning the well? You regressive goofs sure are dramatic. Perhaps you might want to work on your reading comprehension. Did I say anything about facts? No, I said no ones going to want to spend 23 minutes watching a shitty video, especially when we get the point already, libs hate trump, we get it. You people think ANYTHING trump does is disturbing, and anything information coming from these kinds of sources is going to reflect that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    You may not watch most videos, and I'm curious what statistics you have to prove most don't watch them as well. Can't help people with low attention spans.
    I actually LOL at this, you want a study, on how many people watch 20 minute videos on forums? Why don't you do a poll thread champ.

I actually LOL at this, you want a study, on how many people watch 20 minute videos on forums? Why don't you do a poll thread champ.
    An MMO-C survey to back a claim on what the general public watches? Man that explains plenty about you.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    An MMO-C survey to back a claim on what the general public watches? Man that explains plenty about you.
    Doesn't understand what sarcasm is? Man that explains plenty about you.

This game is fun, your turn!

Poisoning the well? You regressive goofs sure are dramatic. Perhaps you might want to work on your reading comprehension. Did I say anything about facts? No, I said no ones going to want to spend 23 minutes watching a shitty video, especially when we get the point already, libs hate trump, we get it. You people think ANYTHING trump does is disturbing, and anything information coming from these kinds of sources is going to reflect that.

- - - Updated - - -

So basically you came into this thread to bitch about a video you haven't watched, don't think anyone else will watch, and produced by someone you don't like.

Cool story, bro. Glad you're on top of the situation and providing vital input.