Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's an update for the story:

http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/pol...-van/408083250

Child Protective Services is now involved in the case and police said the parents are
    facing child abandonment and child endangerment charges, which means they could face
    up to two years in jail and pay up to a $10,000 fine.

While the department does strive to be understanding of all cultures and backgrounds,
    they misspoke on this case.
    "I teach multiculturalism in the police academy," Hooper said, "but in no way do their
    values from another country or their cultural idiosyncricies afford them the right to break
    laws in our country."

Police said they did let the 29-year-old father know that criminal charges could be coming.
    Last edited by Tikaru; 2017-02-15 at 05:15 AM.

Leaving an 8 month in the car alone is simply not smart. Strollers exist for a reason.

While I wouldn't push for taking away child custody, at the very least fine the parents IMO. Nothing excessive but a simple reminder that child neglect is taken very seriously (or should be at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    So they are possibly facing criminal charges after all.
    Last edited by kail; 2017-02-15 at 05:17 AM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    MEh. That may be more apt.

I'm not saying leaving a kid in a car can't be dangerous. Just saying in this case dangers were low, no one ended up hurt, and they can do something if it happens again.
    I'm sorry but this is the same argument people give for DUI's being a victimless crime.

Sure I may have been five times the legal limit and slop ass drunk, but as long as I don't hit anyone or anything on my way home I'm good right?

Something being low danger and no one being hurt should not be how laws are enforced.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Except, that doesn't excuse it, just highlights that you live in a shitty area.

Back on topic, there's an update for the story:

http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/pol...-van/408083250

lol... shitty area. I live in a low/no crime area where pretty much everyone in the town knows each other. If I live in a shitty area America if fucking doomed.

10+ Year Old Account
    MEh. That may be more apt.

I'm not saying leaving a kid in a car can't be dangerous. Just saying in this case dangers were low, no one ended up hurt, and they can do something if it happens again.

- - - Updated - - -

Why can he bring up a ten year old but I get 5 people yelling at me when I do?
    Because you were using 10 year olds as an excuse why it's ok for a 4 year old. They have dramatically different developments in 6 years

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I'm sorry but this is the same argument people give for DUI's being a victimless crime.

Sure I may have been five times the legal limit and slop ass drunk, but as long as I don't hit anyone or anything on my way home I'm good right?

How many children die being left in a car vs how many have died from drunk driving?

And you want to get on me about "teetering that line of false comparison."

And there we have it:

Child Protective Services is now involved in the case and police said the parents are facing child abandonment and child endangerment charges, which means they could face up to two years in jail and pay up to a $10,000 fine.
    Case closed, they did the right thing.

- - - Updated - - -

How many children die being left in a car vs how many have died from drunk driving?

And you want to get on me about "teetering that line of false comparison."
    Fair enough, I retract that statement then. (see being human isn't that bad)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Because you were using 10 year olds as an excuse why it's ok for a 4 year old. They have dramatically different developments in 6 years

No I was specifically replying to that part of his post. I was comparing his "10 year old situation" with mine.

Ok now...looks like we read it wrong....the parents had their 4 year old in the theatre with them. In the car was their 8 month old.

It all started with a cell phone video that first made its way around Facebook. It showed an officer locating a baby left inside a van at the Starplex movie theater. Officers said they discovered it was an eight-month-old girl and she was left inside for 46 minutes before her 29-year-old father and 17-year-old mother came out with their other four-year-old child. They told police it is normal behavior in Saudi Arabia, which is where they are from.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol... shitty area. I live in a low/no crime area where pretty much everyone in the town knows each other. If I live in a shitty area America if fucking doomed.
    Where I live, people aren't shitty and ignore kids/babies in a locked car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Ok now...looks like we read it wrong....the parents had their 4 year old in the theatre with them. In the car was their 8 month old.
    Doesn't matter which of those two they left in the car, it's neglect.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I take it you don't know what car door locks or car alarms are?
    Kinda hard to hear a car alarm over a loud ass movie and its still 11pm.

ignorance is not a excuse, If it was then people could shoot each other all day and not be arrested.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Where I live, people aren't shitty and ignore kids/babies in a locked car.

Can you quote where I said they ignore kids/babies in a locked car. Hyperbole isn't going to win you an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Doesn't matter which of those two they left in the car, it's neglect.
    I do not disagree. Just clarifying it because there was some age confusion.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

some fucking common sense right here.

the law that applies is the one of the country you are in, not the one you are from.

and lololol they are from saudi arabia man i bet it's never hot there, perfectly fine to leave babies in a locked car all the time!

Can you quote where I said they ignore kids/babies in a locked car. Hyperbole isn't going to win you an argument.
    Well, you did say it was only 10 years ago that people in your area stopped leaving kids in cars and you are the one claiming that doing so isn't really a big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seemed to have pissed off a few people in this thread. lol

Not sure what I can say except I guess I still live in an area that is a bit old fashioned yet.

Good and I hope the charges stick. Its fucken common sense to not leave a 4 year old in the car at 11pm at night when its 70+.

Its fucken common snse to not leave a 4 year old in the car at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I still live in an area that is a bit old fashioned yet.
    Old Fashioned doesn't make it ok or correct.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Well, you did say it was only 10 years ago that people stopped leaving kids in cars and you are the one claiming that doing so isn't really a big deal.

Leaving kids unsupervised isn't ignoring them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in an area where this is still done and many don't even blink an eye at it. I mean really aside from leaving a toddler in a running vehicle. Has there even been anything that has happened to a baby in a car? (again not counting the obvious heat issues during summer.)
    Ignoring the "durp it's the norm where I live" crap, there are laws against leaving children unattended in a vehicle for more than five minutes.

Leaving a child unattended in a car is a crime that is punishable under the Texas Penal Code, Title 5, Chapter 22, Section 10:

Sec. 22.10. LEAVING A CHILD IN A VEHICLE. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly leaves a child in a motor vehicle for longer than five minutes, knowing that the child is:

(1) younger than seven years of age; and

(2) not attended by an individual in the vehicle who is 14 years of age or older.

(b) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Leaving a child unattended in a car is also a form of neglectful supervision that is investigated by Child Protective Services.