Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Except it took a fucking decade for him to be considered rehabilitated. So, obviously they're not going to make that assessment in just a year if he has another incident. They may never let him go again after another one.
    If he does have another episode and he attacks or kills another person then it will already be far too little too late. Locking him up or keeping him under monitored treatment in this case is a preventative measure.

It's obvious that the Canadian justice system is quite clearly treating him like he's cured and that all is well. Once the justice system discharged him all the checks and balances that once existed for him (from a legal perspective, at least) disappeared the moment he was granted an absolute discharge. Li was undiagnosed before he killed McLean, meaning he has never had to voluntarily stick to a treatment plan.

There is now no legal recourse if he stops taking his medication or seeing his psychiatrist, which is unconscionable for many of those affected by Li's actions, including McLean's family.

Sure locking him up in prison is not the correct course of action but at the same time we must remember that he is being treated - not cured! Which means there is always the potential of his "masked man" coming back. Li listened to what he had to say before resulting in him killing and eating the face of an innocent man; the system should make it harder for that to happen again.

It's shocking to me that nobody is arguing for the loved ones of the victim here. I'm honestly curious what the responses would be if that beheaded/eaten victim was your family or friend.

Deleted
    This is worrying really. You dont let people like this into the community, there are secure settings for people struggling with this type of illness.

Deleted
    And they did make it harder for it to happen again. By treating him for 10 years.
    I have very little faith in psychiatrists.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Insanity is an idiotic reason for acquittal. Why does it even exist?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

And they did make it harder for it to happen again. By treating him for 10 years.
    He still requires treatment - 10 years is not sufficent for an illness that will be with him for the rest of his life. This is what I am saying people like yourself are behaving as if he has been cured when the fact is that he hasn't been nor ever will be.

Quote Originally Posted by arboachg View Post
    It's shocking to me that nobody is arguing for the loved ones of the victim here. I'm honestly curious what the responses would be if that beheaded/eaten victim was your family or friend.
    Thank fuck that's why there are judiciary bodies in place so emotion can be put aside and actual LAW can be practiced.
    I'd hate the person, with a passion. Obviously.
    Would anything I come up with be rational? NO!

All these people shouting for the person to be killed or murdered. Can you not think critically about it for more than 2 seconds?

Firstly, people talking about how he "murdered" someone, it doesn't seem premeditated. If a 3 year old child stabbed their parent in their sleep 20 times are you going to murder the child?

The event happened years ago, and they have been getting treament since then. That treatment isn't limited to medication, there would have been great amounts of therapy as well to help identify signs of psychosis and seek help before an incident happens again. They were found not guilty, but its taken 10odd years for people to feel he will be able to self regulate his medication as well as having put in support networks in place. I very much doubt that they dont have a psychiatrist and or social worker that they see with regularity, so whilst they may not be forced to be monitored by law, I doubt there is 0 oversight by others.

People keep talking about putting them in jail for life, or "secure settings", probably the same people that complain about paying taxes. Patients also generally show much better recovery within community settings rather then institutions (providing they are able to be in such settings), which means they get back to being productive members of society.

It sucks for the family, they can feel angry, but directing that anger at said person is pretty useless when he wasn't in control. You want to stop things like this happening, then people with mental health issues need to stop being shunned by society, and teach better awareness in school, so that when someone starts having hallucinations, or things aren't quite right, they can get help without fearing ridicule (or being locked up).

Quote Originally Posted by arboachg View Post
    That right there is a prime example of an "Appeal to Emotion" Fallacy.

This is the general category of many fallacies that use emotion in place of reason in order to attempt to win the argument. It is a type of manipulation used in place of valid logic.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I remember hearing about this guy years ago. Really messed up stuff. Hopefully he doesn't randomly kill someone again and whoever gave him the green light will have egg on their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    I know they're not. Doesn't make the dangerous ones less dangerous. Of course, medication does a lot for them, so grains of salt.
    The same could be said for people without schizophrenia. Dangerous people are dangerous.

Spreading the misconception that schizophrenia somehow makes you threat the the people around you is rather ignorant and helps no one.

The man should be under constant supervision, he is a danger to himself and a big danger to others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    He's been diagnosed and treated for his illness and found not guilty in court. So doctors and judges are the ones deciding that he isn't a danger.
    So he kills a total Stranger beheads him and gets to enjoy his Life as Free Man while the Person he attacked only got 22 Years and is now rotting in the Ground?.

Yeah.. Cool Justice System. What a wonderful Punch in the Face for his Family.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    There's absolutely nothing funny about that.
    I still laugh every time I see it. I guess your power to choose this or not is absolute zero.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    How about making sure he takes his meds, you know, so the "voice of God" doesn't tell him to commit further atrocious acts?
    Or like locking him up in a mental institution for good. He can get as "extreme" as he wants to while drooling in a padded cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Not the point. Would you do it or not? If not, then don't be so quick to bet someone elses life on it. One is already dead.
    Ok, so be a psychiatrist yourself so you can be an authority on this matter.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    You expect me to say no? If so you are SO damn wrong.
    Just because he could not control it doesn't mean the man he killed is magically going to come back to life.

ANOTHER. HUMAN. IS. DEAD. BECAUSE. OF. THAT. PSYCHOTIC. MURDERER.
    No amount of "oh but if he had just taken his medication that day the" is EVER going to undo what he has done.
    Like what part of that does your brain not comprehend? That's like saying you shouldn't be responsible for what you do when you're drunk just because you couldn't help it or whatever.

So I repeat, this murderer needs to be behind bars as freaking soon as possible. Just a matter of time before he forgets to take his shitty medication and kill another completely innocent and random human being.
    You chose to get drunk you don't chose to have a schizophrenic break. and like you said nothing will bring that person back to life so what is the point in punishing someone who did not chose to do anything wrong? justice is not the same as punishment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Ok, so be a psychiatrist yourself so you can be an authority on this matter.
    Psychiatrists are quacks from my experience. I don't trust them one bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    That's good. Punishing people will only marginalize them further into extremism.
    But... he's schizophrenic. He basically can't help himself if he does it again.
    If you don't want to lock him away as punishment at least do it to protect the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    But... he's schizophrenic. He basically can't help himself if he does it again.
    If you don't want to lock him away as punishment at least do it to protect the public.
    he was in psychiatric care for 9 years after the murder, if he has been reliably taking his medicine and hasn't had any signs of a second break do you think thats good enough sign that its safe to release him?