Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 6k MMR Lolicon View Post
    There are small, but notable benefits to smoking - protection from osteoporosis and a lowered risk of acquiring Parkinson's disease being chief among them. Nicotine is also an appetite suppressant, which helps stave off obesity.
    I'm not aware of any benefits from smoking that can't be achieved from a less-addictive, less-carcinogenic source. That and none of these benefits were known back during the prevalence of those ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    smoking should be banned outright. Shit kills far to many people.
    people are contrarian little shitstains, so banning it would only increase demand.

i personally would make the plants go extinct. kill all of the tobacco plants so that no more exist, and you can effectively ban it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Depends on the location, if you're at where I work? Well security will take care of it, and if you work there have fun getting fired. Again Depends on the location, if it's outside in a dedicated smoking area I won't be there to begin with. But hey continue to make up some delusional scenario in your head there bud, hope those ciggs are treating you well. Just because I'd tell someone to fuck off doesn't mean I'm going to assault them, on top of that I make sure not to hang around areas where they can smoke. But hey continue to laugh at people that you are adversely affecting their health because you need your fix.
    So, you assume because I made light of your internet tough guy routine that I smoke? The reality is I've had a similar situation happen to me. I work for a big state college that instituted a no smoking on campus policy. And in the end the worst we could do is ask them not to smoke. I even had a kid look at me after I stopped him and told him it was a no smoking campus (he was smoking as he walked between buildings), look at my shirt that had my department's logo on it, look me in the eye and tell me exactly what you said. I just started laughing at his outburst. I said it to him because I felt obligated to not because I personally care in the slightest that he was smoking. I get more laughs out of people freaking out about the smell than I do watching some of the kids try to hide behind the buildings or in out of the way walkways surrounded by trees. The employees that smoke still smoke on campus. The students that smoke kept smoking on campus. People who choose to smoke are going to smoke whether you like it or not, and you making it known that you have the social skills of a 12 year old by telling them off doesn't do anything but make you look bad.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just hate the smell. So goddamn much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    smoking should be banned outright. Shit kills far to many people.
    So does people being unable to control themselves and eating themselves to death via obesity and the plethora of associated health issues. It's not your problem or decision to make or live with.

How do you consume something that has not been produced? Your argument was that vegetarianism does not affect the others around you, but that was wrong. The greenhouse gas emissions that result from the cultivation of lettuce are a veritable blight on the ozone layer, which has all sorts of consequences on an individual level. Sunscreen, anyone?

No, my argument is eating the food has no affect on anyone around you. Since we're talking about second-hand smoking.

Would eating a salad/hamburger affect anyone in your vicinity? Nope. Does smoking affect people around you? You bet.

Nearly everything that's being manufactured is harming the environment. So, that argument is flawed.

The potential harm of second-hand smoke may not have been fully debunked yet, but what we have here is a start. The key point is that the ban on smoking in public areas is more of an annoyance than a service to the public health.
    No, we don't even have a start. We have a handful of results against basically a mountain of results to the contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

15+ Year Old Account
    I´m fine with not smoking while people drink/eat nearby. So i step outside or smoke in a specific room, so what?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    No, we don't even have a start. We have a handful of results against basically a mountain of results to the contrary.
    Results in many cases indistinguishable from pre-existing trends.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    This is a pretty good demonstration of what happens when people with good intentions lie.

Good intentions or bad intentions, it seems like the lying is what's causing bad shit. We've finally gotten to the point where we can't trust anything anymore, and now a well-tailored lie can lead the way to total destruction of Earth.

All I can say is people need to stop obsessing over climate change. Everyone knows its real, but nobody is gonna let it govern their life choices, or let people take away their quality of life "for the greater good," but bickering over it thinking it can be employed that way or worse being a blind gullible scientist who's trying to goad people to do better (that's worse because you don't see you're being used to govern people, you seriously see yourself as holistic) will lead to injuring people's trust even further.

It has to stop and the only way it can stop is if the proprietors of the issue just give up and stop talking about it, please.
    The observation that we either take a small economic hit now or take a large economic hit later pretty much throws this argument out the window.

And unless you're 70 years old or something, you don't get to run away from this problem. Asking people to give up and stop talking about it is basically saying that closing your eyes and plugging your ears will make the bad things go away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Results in many cases indistinguishable from pre-existing trends.
    Forgive me if I don't accept whatever you paraphrased from the original tripe.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Smoking is more cancerous than a Trump supporter truck rally and a random bartender collecting studies he probably hasn't even read isn't about to change that. If you want the health benefits of nicotine, go eat some tomatoes or potatoes.

How do you consume something that has not been produced? Your argument was that vegetarianism does not affect the others around you, but that was wrong. The greenhouse gas emissions that result from the cultivation of lettuce are a veritable blight on the ozone layer, which has all sorts of consequences on an individual level. Sunscreen, anyone?
    Cultivating lettuce generates... CFC's? Nope. Your argument is factually wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Bottom line is there are way bigger health concerns than second hand smoke. If you're eating at a restaurant where someone is smoking, for example, the food you're eating is probably more unhealthy than the trace amount of smoke you're inhaling.
    You see, to me the best thing was removing the stink.

All those self-centered, obnoxiously selfish assholes who smoked felt exceptionally self righteous about making everyone else smell as horribly bad as they themselves did. It didn't matter to them that they were the minority. By far. They still thought it was their god given right to make entire clubs smell like shit. To make everyone's clothes and hair smell as disgusting as the average smoker does.

Then when they were told to fuck off, they started crying like babies about it. As is evident by this thread, plenty of smokers still wish everyone smelled as bad as they do. They get no sympathy from me.
    Last edited by Akylios; 2017-02-16 at 09:37 AM.

One single study proved this? Well I'm sold.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    One single study proved this? Well I'm sold.
    More like lots of studies failed to prove it (despite that expected effect should have been obvious).

ban smoking

i know a lot of people who have suffered lung cancel although they don't smoke. and i totally disagree smoking, especially at public.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    More like lots of studies failed to prove it (despite that expected effect should have been obvious).
    Failing to prove a link =/= proving there is no link.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Failing to prove a link =/= proving there is no link.
    Well, anyone can get on downward (or upward) trend, institute any policy, then claim that trend continuing is result of that policy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Not as bad as we thought? Not surprising, since the Media seems to want us to think that Smoking is equivalent to Satan pissing in infants lungs. This shit could have a 100% fatality rate on everyone within ten feet of the smoker and still not be as bad as the media portrays it.

Well that's good news for the guy I saw holding his baby up to his face the other day while smoking a cigarette. Father of the year material right there.

Is this article "alternative science"?