Need some advice from folks that upgraded from standard ps4 to ps4 pro.

I would like to get a ps4 for some exclusive titles, like ffxv, the crash bandicoot remasters, the various kingdom hearts releases coming in the future. And of course the FFVII remake in the far future. And possibly some other titles. The only games I can think of that will really require stronger power are FFXV and the FFVII remake, along with Horizon zero dawn. This will be far from a main entertainment system as I'm primarily on PC. I am able to get a ps4 slim bundle from dell for $250 that includes 2 controllers and a game. I would love to save myself $150, but if the increase in performance is that significant, especially for future titles, I might consider waiting until I can just afford the pro. I won't be playing any demanding FPS games like battlefield since I can do that on PC. I guess my point is, I really have no idea.

I have a normal PS4 and FFXV and honestly haven't seen any performance issues...in fact just did a quick google search and there is literally no difference in framerate between the 2 versions but the graphics are a LITTLE tighter....

I see, thanks for the input. I guess the decision would be a lot easier if it was going to my primary entertainment system, but it's not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjavitis View Post
    I see, thanks for the input. I guess the decision would be a lot easier if it was going to my primary entertainment system, but it's not.
    Ff15 is getting a 60 fps patch on the 28th and kh 2.8 has double the framerate. I think it's worth it even if you don't have a 4k tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjavitis View Post
    There is a lot of performance benefit's but it all depends the game.

In the next PS4 patch they will be adding Boost Mode that lets un-Ps4Pro patched games receive benefit's from the new hardware. FFXV is getting a (up to 60fps) patch as well in there next update. Kingdom Hearts 2.8 has improved FPS (near locked 30fps in 2.8 and locked 60fps in 3D Remaster).

Horizon Zero Dawn is also getting some graphic/performance benefit's. You will get the most use out of it if you got a 4K tv but even if you don't it still has a lot of options depending the game.

(NioH having a locked 60fps/1080P setting for example).

As a owner of both a PS4 and PS4 Pro I am quite happy with my Pro. Also the 1TB HD space is quite nice.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Ff15 is getting a 60 fps patch on the 28th and kh 2.8 has double the framerate. I think it's worth it even if you don't have a 4k tv.
    Just to clarify, FFXV is getting a patch that unlocks the framerate up to 60 fps. Chances are it won't ever be close to a steady 60 fps and unlocked framerates generally look like aids without some free or gsync technology.

2.8 is 60 fps on regular PS4 as well. Unless you mean the 0.2 demo which is locked 30 on PS3 and PS4 Pro and like FFXV has an unlocked FR option for PS4 Pro that is never at 60 fps and generally bouncing around in the 40s like a cheap hooker with terrible frame pacing.

The PS4 Pro shines with games that can't maintain a constant 30 fps on the regular ps4 or if you have a 4k TV. Minor benefits to IQ on a 1080p TV. Don't buy it under the assumption it's going to double the framerate in games because those situations will be very rare(and there are none yet).
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-02-18 at 01:35 PM.