Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Soda sales down 50%

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-as-much-as-50

Philadelphia’s six-week-old tax on sweetened beverages is already taking a toll on drink distributors and grocers, with some reporting sales drops of as much as 50 percent.

Canada Dry Delaware Valley -- a local distributor of Canada Dry Ginger Ale, Sunkist, A&W Root Beer, Arizona Iced Tea and Vita Coco -- said business fell 45 percent in Philadelphia in the first five weeks of 2017, compared with the same period last year. Total revenue at Brown’s Super Stores, which operates 12 ShopRite and Fresh Grocer supermarkets, fell 15 percent at its six retailers in the city.
    In the most simple terms what this boils down to is 12 pack of soda now cost nearly double its old price due to the new 1.5 cent per ounce tax.

I understand and can even get behind taxing certain items that are more prone to health concerns, but doubling of the price is pretty retarded.

In other news, I'm sure soda sales outside of city limits has increased by 50% lmao

Deleted
    Good? What are we discussing?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Next lets have a sugar tax.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I understand and can even get behind taxing certain items that are more prone to health concerns, but doubling of the price is pretty retarded.
    What makes you say so? That magnitude seems about right to me, but this is based on feels, not anything objective.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    You need a new routine, this one is old and boring.

Sounds like less people are drinking syrupy sweet sodas...

How is this a bad thing?

So, basically, this will lead to more job loss, and more competition in the already suffering job market? Sounds like a plan!

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    We should be limiting sales of these things by making alternatives more affordable. Why can I go to the store and get a two liter of soda for $0.78 when it's 90-99% water (depending on the calorie content) but water is 2-3x that? If i'm on a few hour drive and I need something to drink and stop by a gas station am I going to grab a $1 soda or a $2 bottle of water?
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

I was hoping this would be because people want to stop being fatties, not because of a tax.

Oh well.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, cool. Soda is shit for your health.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    So, basically, this will lead to more job loss, and more competition in the already suffering job market? Sounds like a plan!
    Money not spent on sodas is spent on something else, remarkable isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sounds like less people are drinking syrupy sweet sodas...

How is this a bad thing?
    I was not expecting such short sighted comments, but so far this thread has surprised me.

This seems vanishingly unlikely unless you believe that money not spent on soda will mostly be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I was hoping this would be because people want to stop being fatties, not because of a tax.

Oh well.
    People become fatties because they don't exercise, not because they drink sodas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Next lets have a sugar tax.
    or high fructose corn syrup

10+ Year Old Account
    Job loss? Is that the only thing we're supposed to care about?

And the job market isn't suffering. That's fantasy. The job market isn't great for some people with some skills. This is always true, and people can always point to this truth in order to justify their views that 'the job market is suffering'. But that doesn't make it true for the majority of people.

Finally, lost jobs will be replaced elsewhere, if they haven't already been automated away. It's not like people will stop drinking liquids.

Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb View Post
    or high fructose corn syrup
    We should probably tax people by the hour when they sit down and play World of Warcraft or any other video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This seems vanishingly unlikely unless you believe that money not spent on soda will mostly be saved.
    Go back further than just supermarkets that carry the item, to the distributor and factories that are supported by it. If sales drop 50% and stay that way - just for the sake of argument - then you're looking at a big shift in how many workers are necessary across the board, from supervisors to truck drivers to forklift operators, et cetera.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I was not expecting such short sighted comments, but so far this thread has surprised me.
    I think the short-sightedness is more on you...But unlike you I wasn't surprised...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    trump is literally hitler

edit- shit my bad , i seen we were in general off topic and just assumed