Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Do you even live in Europe?
    Because nothing of what you've said is close to the reality.
    I'm sorry but what else would you call brexit, marine le pen, orban (spelling??) in hungary, polands current direction, the massive rise of an establishment opposition party in sweden.

Those are just some examples on the top of my head, there are more.
    Last edited by mmocbf3af6dcb2; 2017-02-18 at 05:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    I'm sorry but what else would you call brexit, marine le pen, orban (spelling??) in hungary, polands current direction, the massive rise of an establishment opposition party in sweden.

Those are just some examples on the top of my head, there are more.
    Selective example and your own twisted imagination. The holocaust isn't going to happen against however much you may want it to, you nasty little cunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Religion, an optional (in the civilised world) adherence to a philosophy which makes unwarranted claims about existence, should not be talked about in the same breath as characteristics that people cannot choose. Things like gender, age, sexuality and skin colour are accidents of birth that we have no control over.

Religion can be abandoned or changed at any time. Religion is a choice. Therefore it should not be above criticism, satire and mockery.

Edit: But, grievous harassment of individuals should be dealt with on a case by case basis and bigotry against individual Muslims shouldn't be tolerated.
    Last edited by Thalassian Bob; 2017-02-18 at 06:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    It really does seem you don't get it.
    In France they protest against a left government.
    In Holland they protest against a centre-government.
    In Germany they protest against a right government.
    In the UK they protest against a conservative government.

Do you know the only constant in all of those things? They protest.
    People are going through a rough time and they blame their government for that, no matter the political orientation.
    And you talked about western countries, we don't count Hungary and Poland among them.

Though I do wonder, what does this have to do with people threatening a politician?
    I'll prefix this by saying that I was replying to Endus statement that western countries don't really mind the government putting restrictions on how you are allowed to express yourself.

I think we are misunderstanding eachother here, perhaps; I never mentioned the left/right dichotomy, I was talking about social democracies, which just about every ""western"" country is, it's the kind of government that do implement anti hate speech laws and people are very clearly turning against this sort of system, all across europe.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Selective example and your own twisted imagination. The holocaust isn't going to happen against however much you may want it to, you nasty little cunt.
    Haha, what???
    Last edited by mmocbf3af6dcb2; 2017-02-18 at 07:07 PM.

If you had been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like, I would use anyone even to go look more to decide as far as you been.

Deleted
    I wonder how many emails she sent to herself, so she could cry victim.

This thread could be titled: "Person involved in high profile political controversy gets death threat", because both sides get death threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn the Second View Post
    Religion can be abandoned or changed at any time. Religion is a choice. Therefore it should not be above criticism, satire and mockery.
    I'll bite.

Religion is a belief system, and everyone has one of those. You may question the system of beliefs that you were raised with, and eventually trade it in for another, but doing so would require a large amount of painful introspection as well as years of constant questioning. Therefore, it should be no more acceptable to mock someone for the way they feel about something, than it would be to mock them for the color of their skin or for the physical traits that arouse them - traits which, by the way, CAN be altered through surgery or other drastic means.

In other words, you are being a gigantic hypocrite. A fluffy, adorable one, but a hypocrite nonetheless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sail into the wind View Post
    I'll bite.

Religion is a belief system, and everyone has one of those. You may question the system of beliefs that you were raised with, and eventually trade it in for another, but doing so would require a large amount of painful introspection as well as years of constant questioning. Therefore, it should be no more acceptable to mock someone for the way they feel about something, than it would be to mock them for the color of their skin or for the physical traits that arouse them - traits which, by the way, CAN be altered through surgery or other drastic means.

In other words, you are being a gigantic hypocrite. A fluffy, adorable one, but a hypocrite nonetheless.
    Lol, I appreciate your complimenting D-Dog's fluffiness, but I'm not that fluffy myself. Inside or out, thankfully.

The only thing I think I could be accused of hypocrisy on is, as you pointed out, saying that those accidents of birth cannot be changed. Some of them anyway. An obvious one would be sex changes, but I would argue that's just altering one's outward appearance to represent neurological gender dysphoria that was likely always there (or being formed). The gender dysphoria itself is not a choice.
    Then, yes, people can dye their hair, enlarge their sexual organs and even try pass as another nationality and an individual basis, but on a macro scale, there things are not subjective choices or options picked. They are accidents of birth that most people cannot afford to change.

Religion, like any other belief system, however, is optional if you live in a civilised society. Yes, it can be forced upon you by the community around you, but I would argue that is all the more reason to allow people to criticise, mock and satire those belief systems. Because, if you don't, you are not enabling people to be exposed to ideas they may deem more truthful or sensible or whatever. Even if exposure to those new ideas at first is unsettling or scary.

As I edited onto the end of my original post, we shouldn't allow individuals who adhere to specific belief systems to be harassed or assaulted because they adhere to those beliefs, but they should not be legally protected from mockery or criticism, just in the way that you or I are not legally protected from criticism or mockery of our music tastes or politics. No matter how much I might like Queen or the liberty-minded Leftism of Orwell and Hitchens.

One's feelings are unimportant in the pursuit of truth, individually and globally.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You do realize that hate speech laws are pretty standard in the Western world, right? The USA is an exception, not the rule. And most of us think your supportive attitude towards hate speech is just as completely ridiculous.
    Having religious exemptions for them though is fundamentally stupid, no matter where you are. Religions are nothing but opinions on supernatural claims, not something that warrants special privileges and exemptions from the law any more than any other strongly held opinion.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-02-19 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.