How worth is an upgrade from GTX960 to GTX1060?

I got myself a Nvidia GTX 960 2GB last year and I'm satisfied with how it works, but it wasn't high end then and it's showing more these days. Normally I wouldn't spend the full price for another GPU, but my room mate got himself a GTX 1060 3GB and for one reason or another it isn't working for him. He tested it on another PC and it works, so I doubt it's the GPU that's the issue.

Now, I am considering an exchange, with me giving him the difference between the two generations, if we're both satisfied with the new GPUs ( he had a GTX 500something before this ).

I agreed to give him some extra $ since his card is newer and better. How much do you reckon it's worth giving?

I have an i5 760 and 8 GB of RAM for what it's worth. I've heard the CPU could bottleneck my current GPU before, so I imagine that if that were true it would be worse for a newer one. So would this switch be worth it?

GTX 1060 6GB is basically double the power of GTX 960. The 3GB version is about 10% weaker than the 6GB one.
    GTX 960 is comparable to GTX 1050, check prices for that.
    Depends on what you're playing. For WoW it won't make a big difference. For Witcher 3 it would be huge.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-02-19 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    GTX 1060 6GB is basically double the power of GTX 960. The 3GB version is about 10% weaker than the 6GB one.
    GTX 960 is comparable to GTX 1050, check prices for that.
    Depends on what you're playing. For WoW it won't make a big difference. For Witcher 3 it would be huge.
    Witcher 3, Black Desert, Watch Dogs 2... so on.

Yes it would be a pretty big upgrade and worth the trade.

Well, you won't get WORSE performance with the new GPU. At worst you'd have the same as before, but you're looking at higher maximum framerates and smoother framerates as the 1060 won't get VRAM capped as easily. It's not a bad swap. If you haven't overclocked that i5 yet, the Lynnfield chips respond very well to voltage and cooling, could shore up some of that CPU bottleneck.

I'd say it's worth it, since in non-CPU-bottlenecked games you'll have a very noticeable performance boost.
    Super casual.