Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    ... and it's fucking glorious. Skip to 16:28 for the lead up to the amazing musical number at the end!

Remember Westerners: Putin is our enemy.

John Oliver is a foreign comedian.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    I still like John. Disagree with him a lot lately politically speaking but he's worlds better than Trevor Noah.

Still not understanding why it's good to be adversarial with Russia instead of working with them.
    A thing with Trevor that I can't seem to decide for myself is do I dislike him so much because he is bad, or just because he is not as good as Jon Stewart.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You want to ally with a man who kills political enemies, and bombs innocent women and children?
    Obama didnt kill his political opponents, but women and children did not get a free pass from his drones :P

Quote Originally Posted by AveMaria View Post
    Obama didnt kill his political opponents, but women and children did not get a free pass from his drones :P
    And it's why I do not support Obama's drone program. Being logically consistent is a wonderful thing. It means you don't have to support murderous tyrants like Putin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant stand Oliver. He's no Bill Maher who I actually find hilarious and respect even if I don't agree with. That said, the rights constant defense of Russia ever since Trump got in is fucking scary shit. I just wish we had people other than liberal comedians stating this.

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    That way Killary and Neocons would have another excuse for another botched up invasion in Middle East.
    Retards with short memories will bury the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Can I just have a full length version of that song?

Wait... Liberals ACTUALLY think Trump is some super spookey Russian boogeyman working with Putin??? I thought that was just a meme.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Wait... Liberals ACTUALLY think Trump is some super spookey Russian boogeyman working with Putin??? I thought that was just a meme.
    No, they think Trump is too dumb to see why ingratiation is dangerous.

... and it's fucking glorious. Skip to 16:28 for the lead up to the amazing musical number at the end!

I'm perplexed at this continuation of the Russia strategy by the left. Really, no one cares. We have far worse allies than Russia. Saudi Arabia has it all - invading a neighboring country, rampant domestic abuse, and as a kicker, an outright death penalty for homosexuality. You could easily find pieces of all these in many of our other allies like Signapore and so on, that add up to worse than Russia. Do not get this obsession.

Putin is bad, but he is not Satan, he certainly doesn't have the power to change a US election. A better solution would have been to run a candidate without the long history the Clintons did when you chose them. Did anyone really think Hillary wouldn't have at least one major scandal before the election? Honestly, that was just not possible. Might want to spend more time on issues people legitimately have with Trump, instead of going down this neo-con, neo-liberal wormhole. Its more about what people at the top of the power structure want from Trump, not what anyone from the middle down actually worries about.

Of all the unfunny leftwing comedians, Current Year Man is by far the unfunniest. You watch him for two reasons: either you need him to desperately validate your opinions, or you're a masochist.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    I'm perplexed at this continuation of the Russia strategy by the left. Really, no one cares. We have far worse allies than Russia. Saudi Arabia has it all - invading a neighboring country, rampant domestic abuse, and as a kicker, an outright death penalty for homosexuality. You could easily find pieces of all these in many of our other allies like Signapore and so on, that add up to worse than Russia. Do not get this obsession.

Putin is bad, but he is not Satan, he certainly doesn't have the power to change a US election. A better solution would have been to run a candidate without the long history the Clintons did when you chose them. Did anyone really think Hillary wouldn't have at least one major scandal before the election? Honestly, that was just not possible. Might want to spend more time on issues people legitimately have with Trump, instead of going down this neo-con, neo-liberal wormhole. Its more about what people at the top of the power structure want from Trump, not what anyone from the middle down actually worries about.
    The difference between Saudi Arabia and Russia is that the former is a bit player who know that they are a bit player. They try to play games with prices on oil, as that's about the only thing significant they can do on the world scale. They also suck up a ton to the US whenever things fuck up for them as they owe their place as a regional power to them. And that region is on the world scale as it stands a rather insignificant one. Becoming more so when what was the most valuable resource in the modern world is rapidly losing value. One can argue that the US propping them up have helped regional stability, one can also argue that it's made some aspects worse because a lot of the fundamentalist ideas of Islam that scare people outside of the region are exports thrown out as the regime there saw them as destabilizing.

Russia is a former super power run by an Autocrat who wants to be the autocrat of far more than a declining regional power. The only reason Russia is a real threat is because of nukes. On most metrics the threat level from Russia is going down. However, that makes people who want to use it for power desperate if they want to keep the former power base it had. It forces them to cut down the power of it's "enemies", and just a quick peak of how Putin speaks about and reacts to NATO movements shows you what he thinks of NATO. He see's them as enemies even if he might not outright say that. He also knows he can't fight them, so he tries to manipulate people to work against themselves.

If Russia just knew the place it should have on the world stage practically no-one would raise a fuss. They don't, which makes it a problem for everyone.
    The human rights issues in Saudi Arabia is an entirely different matter. One that should be dealt with and that'll hopefully be turned around with more information and better education into the nation.

Thats pure gold!

10+ Year Old Account
    i just dont find John Oliver funny no matter what he does. i didnt find him funny on The Daily Show.

maybe if it was Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert from the Colbert Report(the act) reading the dialog, id probably be rolling

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    I'm perplexed at this continuation of the Russia strategy by the left. Really, no one cares.
    It's not a strategy. And, "no one cares"? Literally the entire "free world" cares - the American right cared even more than the American left or the entirety of Europe, up until the point the golden-haired Jesus 2.0 decided America should spoon with Russia.

Let me just remind you why everyone should care. It's because the country is headed by an autocrat, whom I wont describe in detail because John Oliver has already done so and I am assuming you know the things Putin has done. Of course, that's not enough, there's plenty of countries who are headed by autocrats. There's a difference, though. Russia is the largest such country, depending on whether or not you count in China, and most of all, he is a threat to Europe. And there, very simply, lies the reason why America should not spoon with Russia. Because if you do so, you risk alienating allies who share 95% of your values. We're in this shit together. Why the hell do you think we Europeans give a single fuck who's the president otherwise? He's not just the POTUS, he is the leader of the "free world".

10+ Year Old Account
    I like John Oliver, but videos like this makes me wonder how much of the rest of his videos, where I'm not that well informed, are just complete bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    Yes I'm aware and luckily the mainstream media is pushing back on it. It's a bullshit talking point that needs to go away. The fact that Trump calls the media an enemy of the United States tells you what his aim is. He clearly is against the 1st amendment and will do anything to supress and discredit the media when it targets him because he's a narcissist.
    The problem I see is further down the road. When Trump is gotten rid of and the media thinks they have "won a battle" and portray themselves as the defender of the truth. The US media is corrupted in a way, and Trump's right about that. For almost 20 years now they have been sloppy, the more recent you go, the worse it gets. The media has to understand that it cannot compete with Facebook or Twitter. That's not their job. If they had taken "journalism" seriously, they wouldn't be in the corner they are in at the moment.

So it's not all just on Trump, to be fair.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I'm unable, on genetic level (defect in the Finnish gene seed), to pass by a post mentioning Finland without replying.

We're actually quite confident in our the ability of our armed forces to bloody up any Russian incursion badly enough to make them unappealing course of action for Russia. There is of course the vocal minority who've been brainwashed by Russian propaganda, as well as actual paid trolls that we have here who speak Finnish and everything, who have a jar of Vaseline ready to go at moments notice if Russia did anything threatening. Thankfully the actual circles responsible for defending our country are up to snuff, and the defence ministry gives very few fucks about any trends that appear in the media or in the general opinion about how our defence should be organised. The enemy has always, and will always come, from the east.

We've actually had US marines here for cold weather training multiple times. I love seeing that kind of exchange of knowledge.
    I know, but by the same token, you are not NATO. You're unofficially part of the region to protect, everyone knows that. You won't be left alone again. But you don't want to commit either.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account

Jesus christ, can the right-wing in this country sink any lower?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Political commentary from an unfunny comedian?

Why do you even bother?

Deleted
    Mr. Oliver is one of your most talented satirists. Really great. And everything the talks about is true.