Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn the Second View Post
    True, but he had nowhere near as many celebrity endorsements and then he had the celebrities attempt to rebel against him with that electoral college plea.

(I don't support Trump (though neither do I think he is Hitler), I'm just pointing out that, by and large, Hillary had almost the entirety of Hollywood behind her.)
    That is true enough, and I don't get me wrong on this topic I do understand the sentiment that JK Rowling's opinion on this topic is unpopular, and that people want her beholden to it as an example. But we are all entitled to our opinions and even this very petition is an expression of that.

The catch is just that people only behold what they don't like, not what they also like/believe. Someone gave a good example before in this thread, that does against abortion should then adopt those unwanted babies.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This is like telling me that because I support gay marriage, I need to divorce my wife and marry a dude.
    Or, this is like telling someone who is extremely rich, with plenty of spare place to house several extra people, to virtue signal with actions instead of words.

It's not that hard of an example that it needs to call for comparisons, especially with things completely unrelated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post
    I didn't say it was the refugees fault please quote me on that? I blame it fully on the government of Sweden who are willing g to pay 60000kr (6000euro~) a month to rent an apartment for a single refugee. https://www.svd.se/lagenhet-till-fly...-000-i-manaden
    No, but I assumed it was aimed at that cause generally people that do speak about it, blame it all on immigrants like its them chasing them out etc, sorry if I faulted you.

Though this article is about one company that is abusing a system and people, by raising the price to absurd levels and the municipality can't afford it for good reasons. And it's not just for normal apartments either, its 'utslussningslägenheter' so it involves lot of personal etc. Though the price these companies take out is asinine and simply shitty way to earn lots of money on refugees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Or, this is like telling someone who is extremely rich, with plenty of spare place to house several extra people, to virtue signal with actions instead of words.

It's not that hard of an example that it needs to call for comparisons, especially with things completely unrelated.
    It's ALREADY a fucking comparison. Her support for refugee policy at the federal level does not equate to personally taking in refugees.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    It's ALREADY a fucking comparison. Her support for refugee policy at the federal level does not equate to personally taking in refugees.
    Yup, that's the point. We should take refugees... as long as they stay really far away! Immirite?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Yup, that's the point. We should take refugees... as long as they stay really far away! Immirite?
    Nobody is forced to take in refugees, so why should she?

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Not going to even argue it further, just go back 100 plus years when reading was only for the elite and the avg person worked 16 hours a day because.

She gains allot from the system, if you can't see that education, infrastructure and the likes has benefited artist greatly then you really need to go back to elementary to see how society has changed when government took a more active role in education and in people's lives.
    I'm not saying she did not gain a lot from a system, I'm saying there's nothing to show that she took so much more from a system than an average person, to justify charging her significantly more than the average person even makes in a lifetime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    The US is a democratic republic, just because it has limited on democracy doesn't mean it isn't democratic.
    It's not much of a democracy, since some people's votes are worth more than others. It's fundamentally no different than saying a person's voting power should be based on how much they pay in taxes.

She's donated more to charity than everyone in this thread combined, me included, will make in a lifetime. No one in this fucking thread has any moral authority to judge this woman.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    That is true enough, and I don't get me wrong on this topic I do understand the sentiment that JK Rowling's opinion on this topic is unpopular, and that people want her beholden to it as an example. But we are all entitled to our opinions and even this very petition is an expression of that.

The catch is just that people only behold what they don't like, not what they also like/believe. Someone gave a good example before in this thread, that does against abortion should then adopt those unwanted babies.
    I agree that all these people should be entitled to their opinions and they should have the right to share them, but that doesn't mean those opinions have to be respected by the people who are going to be most affected by the things they are calling for and it doesn't protect them from irreverent jibes like this petition.

And, yeah, I totally think that "pro-life" people should be willing to pay towards a welfare and social services system that will look after unwanted children, but George Carlin pointed out the hypocrisy of those people when he said, "If you're pre-born, you're fine. If you're pre-school, you're fucked!".

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Nobody is forced to take in refugees, so why should she?
    I'm glad you take this stance. I take it you are okay with people that are for really controlled entry of refugees then; or no entry at all? And don't look down on the people who hold these views?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well no, I don't think anyone is calling for that specific idea. You can support a broad refugee policy at the federal level without also supporting the housing of those refugees in your home.

In other words, this petition is incredibly stupid. And the people that created it are also incredibly stupid.
    Eat yo vegetables

Deleted
    No, not right. She doesn't care if they're her neighbours, but she doesn't have to accept strangers into her own home to be compassionate to their plight.

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    No, not right. She doesn't care if they're her neighbours, but she doesn't have to accept strangers into her own home to be compassionate to their plight.
    Yet, none will be her neighbor. Interesting, isn't it?

Deleted
    I'm not in favor of forcing anyone to take anyone in - however, those who virtue signal, while pointing down on others from their high horses, should show their superior being with actions, not with words.

Until then, it's just yet another big, rich, hypocrite. One in a sea of them.
    She's donated 50% of her profits to the unfortunate, isn't that a pretty big gesture? More than most criticizing her

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I'm glad you take this stance. I take it you are okay with people that are for really controlled entry of refugees then; or no entry at all? And don't look down on the people who hold these views?

We are talking about taking refugees in private homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    We are talking about taking refugees in private homes.
    Oh? That means you do then? Unfortunate.

Deleted
    Is she against refugees living in her town?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    https://www.change.org/p/j-k-rowling...spare-bedrooms

So, J.K. Rowling is all for accepting refugees - this petition is about suggesting her to stop talking and starting to act
    Yeah, that's really practical. Makes perfect sense. Gotta love the alt-right crazy train.

1,000,000+ refugee problem but let's put effort towards ridiculous notions to make an irrelevant point.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Do we know she doesn't give to programs that help refugees? I have no idea, but do you? Does anybody who are jerking off about "HURR JK DUN WANNA PAY FOR DEM HERSELF!"

That logic doesn't even make sense. She's a single citizen, even if she's insanely wealthy. Its a governmental function.

A government function that seems to be losing favor. I dont think its inappropriate to ask her to make her home available if she is such a advocate of the refugee program.

After all its not like she would be affected by the increased crime that is often associated with mass refugees.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm not saying she did not gain a lot from a system, I'm saying there's nothing to show that she took so much more from a system than an average person, to justify charging her significantly more than the average person even makes in a lifetime.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not much of a democracy, since some people's votes are worth more than others. It's fundamentally no different than saying a person's voting power should be based on how much they pay in taxes.
    The merit of the democracy under EC voting I will leave it up to you to argue, I am just saying to simply say it isn't a democracy is factually false.