Page 1 of 2
LastLast

advice for rerolling hunter

Heya folks

I've been playing an Arms Warrior in Legion thus far and have grown increasingly disenchanted and frustrated with the spec. From getting screwed over hard on legendary drops (I have 5 - none of them are the ones that would increase my dps significantly) to the awful RNG and poor AoE in NH, I'm about fed up. My guild is also lacking ranged DPS, so the transition helps there. Anyway, I'm wondering if you all would share any additional info would further distinguish MM or BM (maybe even survival) for me. I've read Icy Veins and such, so I have a general idea of what each spec can do. Just looking for playstyle descriptions, I suppose.

Thanks!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    go Shadow
    /10char

I was in a similar position to you, decided on hunters.

What should you expect:

MM is quite unforgiving and punishing when it comes to exexecuting the rotation properly and positioning

BM is the opposite. Rotation is simple and you can move as much as you want.

I've been MM before NH came out but with the 7.1.5 changes i decided to roll BM, i dont regret it. Being BM gives you more time to properly execute mechanincs and DPS wise its up there. Sure some people will tell you that MM is better at DPS but thats the top players. Average player will do better at BM than MM.

Deleted
    First of all welcome to the Hunter community.

I don't know about DPS, but as far as I'm concerned when it comes to the Hunter specs Beast Mastery is by far the least interesting spec of the three. I personally can't stand playing it, but, the simplicity of its instant cast rotation allows you move around during a fight, and pay much more attention to its mechanics, which is a good thing.

From my experience Survival has been quite clunky and unrewarding, honestly if you want a melee spec, there are much more intuitive specs out there in terms of playstyle, specs that are not only more interesting in terms of class fantasy but also much better in terms of perfomance.

Marksmanship is where it's at for me personally, it seems to be the perfect mix between Survival and Beast Mastery, it's still simple, but it has more going on than BM, and its still much more fluid than Survival. I'd go with Marksmanship if I were you.

Short answer: don't.

Hunter as a class is currently at its worst ever, especially when mechanics are concerned. Save yourself a lot of trouble and choose a ranged class that actually performs and isn't horribly cluncky to play. This spoken as a person who has (and still am) raided with hunter since the launch of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Teos74 View Post

Hunter as a class is currently at its worst ever, especially when mechanics are concerned. Save yourself a lot of trouble and choose a ranged class that actually performs and isn't horribly cluncky to play. This spoken as a person who has (and still am) raided with hunter since the launch of the game.
    this, I'd probably play something else if I wasn't stuck with the AP grind and legendaries SV is currently overloaded with abilities and long ramp-up times for doing any kind of damage, marksman is rng even to the point of dealing any damage at all (you need RNG to be able to use your spenders) and to me beastmastery is just kind of dull.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    BM if you're lucky.
    MM if you're not.
    What's Survival?
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Consider another class, m8

Deleted
    I feel like i'm the only survival hunter on this forum.

I'd advise you don't reroll, first of all Fury is incredibly strong in NH and will continue to be in the next tier also. Secondly Hunter is not in a good spot, MM is a mess and only really played because of the investment people put into it already. BM is heavily legendary dependent and even then it still drops off big time on ST once other specs learn the fights and are not affected by movement as much. Survival is great fun, quite competitive and rather difficult to play optimally but it's melee so doesn't help your situation.

If you really need to reroll ranged, pick something else.

Deleted
    I would not recommend rerolling to hunter but imho its not nearly as bad as some people make out here. MM has good if not very good cleave potential but lackluster and kind of restrictive, tough to play ST.
    But some things to consider: MM doesn't have very good legendaries compared to some other specs. Bm requires certain legendaries to do decent dmg and to get a smooth rotation and imho pet dependence is less of an issue for Nighthold raids than it was for some WOD raids.
    Imho Nighthold is quite melee friendly and warriors are in a good place as are most melees right now.

It's funny every class forum says to roll a different class when someone asks this question. I guess every class is just that terrible lol.

Surival is the best spec i've been playing in years. The only spec which is not a 3-4 button spec. Loads of tools, multiple fun talent options. Numberwise they are up aswell now.

I really don't get all the hate on survival, but I don't mind the less survival hunters, the more unique i feel :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    Heya folks

I've been playing an Arms Warrior in Legion thus far and have grown increasingly disenchanted and frustrated with the spec. From getting screwed over hard on legendary drops (I have 5 - none of them are the ones that would increase my dps significantly) to the awful RNG and poor AoE in NH, I'm about fed up. My guild is also lacking ranged DPS, so the transition helps there. Anyway, I'm wondering if you all would share any additional info would further distinguish MM or BM (maybe even survival) for me. I've read Icy Veins and such, so I have a general idea of what each spec can do. Just looking for playstyle descriptions, I suppose.

Thanks!
    Don't. Play another class...

The only reason i have not switched is because i always play hunter...it is my only toon...and the day i quit playing it is the day i quit wow. The class is at its worst by far....every spec had a better iteration in a past xpac.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ninthelora View Post
    Surival is the best spec i've been playing in years. The only spec which is not a 3-4 button spec. Loads of tools, multiple fun talent options. Numberwise they are up aswell now.

I really don't get all the hate on survival, but I don't mind the less survival hunters, the more unique i feel :-)
    cause its a melee spec for a range class.

This. Only I've completely given up on the class until they do a rework (even with giving up 54 traits and 5 legendaries). Current state is so bad (IMO) that I rerolled and grinded 54 again.

Also when was the last time you played a ranged class? The pace of melee feels much faster, just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Icebox28 View Post
    This. Only I've completely given up on the class until they do a rework (even with giving up 54 traits and 5 legendaries). Current state is so bad (IMO) that I rerolled and grinded 54 again.

Also when was the last time you played a ranged class? The pace of melee feels much faster, just food for thought.
    I played a shadow priest in vanilla for a while and an elemental shammy very briefly in TBC. I've spent most of my time playing rogue and now warrior.

I decided to go ahead with the hunter and I've really enjoyed it. I'm not yet maxed, but the rotation doesn't sound too bad honestly and will probably be even easier to follow when I get Weakauras running for it. I appreciate the replies, even those suggesting I reroll a different spec. I just don't see another ranged class that interests me as much. Not a fan of clothies (I might be willing to try a shadow priest) and I tried elemental shammy, but was very bored. MM hunter feels right at the moment, even if it isn't the best iteration - I have no basis for comparison other than rogue and warrior. As for sticking with warrior and going fury, I cannot stand the spec or the rotation for it. It's incredibly boring to me and has no nuance to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heffladin View Post

this, I'd probably play something else if I wasn't stuck with the AP grind and legendaries SV is currently overloaded with abilities and long ramp-up times for doing any kind of damage, marksman is rng even to the point of dealing any damage at all (you need RNG to be able to use your spenders) and to me beastmastery is just kind of dull.
    Gotta agree with them. I've mained Hunter since Vanilla without taking a break, and the Hunter's rotation since patch 7.1.5 feels like the clunkiest it has ever been in the class's history. The rotation is frustrating and anything but fun. Meanwhile I'm just impatiently waiting for a new patch to hopefully fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    Gotta agree with them. I've mained Hunter since Vanilla without taking a break, and the Hunter's rotation since patch 7.1.5 feels like the clunkiest it has ever been in the class's history. The rotation is frustrating and anything but fun. Meanwhile I'm just impatiently waiting for a new patch to hopefully fix it.
    Well it's not going to be changed in 7.2 that's for sure. Blizzard said there's no class changes due to the AP system stuff that's going on. Personally though, I think Hunters are doing fine atm.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosebleeds View Post
    I feel like i'm the only survival hunter on this forum.
    You're not.

Love the Surv rework.

Even though like 75% of the people in this thread are bashing hunters (go to any class forum on mmo-c and you will see the same shit) I personally am enjoying my hunter right now. It's not as fun as MOP Survival (RIP) but I am actually enjoying MM. The explosive shot/piercing shot build is fantastic for M+ and True Aim/Trick shot is still decent on single target. Are you going to beat a Demon Hunter at the same gear level? Probably not, but to me it's still in a competitive place.

I had these same concerns when 7.1.5 came out and SW was ditched for the arcane shot focus builder. I leveled my fire mage, got a good legendary, got to about 880 gear level and still just kept coming back to my hunter.

Honestly though, any class/spec is going to have their niche. Some only have one, others have a few.