Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    The games itself also lose the value over time. Nintendo should do a 180 turn and start giving away those games for free (with their emulators).
    Nintendo games rarely lose value and in many cases gain it.

Its why I am conflicted on the issue because then you become "forced" to pay some guy on ebay a huge ass amount.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    FYI. You are showing your ignorance to programming. No one is claiming copyright on binary code.
    You are showing your ignorance, in being able to choose between which groups of ones and zeroes get different treatment to other groups of ones and zeroes.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    You are showing your ignorance, in being able to choose between which groups of ones and zeroes get different treatment to other groups of ones and zeroes.

Can you show me one case of someone claiming copyright on binary code?

Do you even know what you said in this post because I sure as hell don't.

Funny how his idea was: Nintendo claim other people's work, work which IS or SHOULD BE protected under Fair Use. Nintendo will not care for fair use, and claim such content anyway. He also shows how skewed Nintendo's idea of copyright is citing directly from their website, and how Nintendo's view can only benefit Nintendo.

If Nintendo can do whatever, so COULD others because Nintendo will do whatever Nintendo can get away with as long as they benefit from it. He is showing how hypocritical this company can be.

For some strange reason, people will not understand that, will not understand the video and talk about PIRACY or will say that he is condoning piracy (despite the fact that he mentioned 3 or 4 times that he isn't, and people will simply read the title and jump to conclusions) when he used that as an allegory to show how skewed Nintendo's ideas are when it comes to copyright.

I guess that's why these companies can get away with so much... People simply will not understand what's happening and fail at comprehending basic messages... Ugh.

Deleted
    Can you show me one case of someone claiming copyright on binary code?

Do you even know what you said in this post because I sure as hell don't.
    I'm trying to find out why some people think some sequences of ones and zeros should be treated differently than other sequences of ones and zeros. I don't think its a lot to ask for an explanation of this seemingly popular (on here) view.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to find out why some people think some sequences of ones and zeros should be treated differently than other sequences of ones and zeros. I don't think its a lot to ask for an explanation of this seemingly popular (on here) view.

What you are talking about is called binary code. They are not fighting over sequences of 1 and 0. The code they use in games is much different than binary code. Not to mention texture and art work.

To bring a real life equivalence. This would be equal to ask why people fight over atoms.

Deleted
    What you are talking about is called binary code. They are not fighting over sequences of 1 and 0. The code they use in games is much different than binary code. Not to mention texture and art work.

To bring a real life equivalence. This would be equal to ask why people fight over atoms.
    I think there is some miscommunication here. Why do you keep saying binary code? Why do the ones and zeroes in whatever you define to be binary code deserve different treatment to ones and zeroes that you do not define as binary code?

Are the lyrics of let it be by the beatles owned? If someone use morse code to turn those lyrics into ones and zeroes, are those ones and zeros also owned?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there is some miscommunication here. Why do you keep saying binary code? Why do the ones and zeroes in whatever you define to be binary code deserve different treatment to ones and zeroes that you do not define as binary code?

Are the lyrics of let it be by the beatles owned? If someone use morse code to turn those lyrics into ones and zeroes, are those ones and zeros also owned?

OK. Someone is going to have to interpret. I have no clue what he is trying to ask here.

OK. Someone is going to have to interpret. I have no clue what he is trying to ask here.
    He's referring to 1's and 0's as all information to justify theft of intellectual property.

No. I would much prefer support makers of games by purchasing an actual copy of it. Especially games I look forward to if they have a collector's or limited edition.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    He's referring to 1's and 0's as all information to justify theft of intellectual property.
    I really am just trying to why or how someone can claim to own particular sequences of ones and zeroes.

I am not pro theft. Stealing someone's wallet is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really am just trying to why or how someone can claim to own particular sequences of ones and zeroes.

I am not pro theft. Stealing someone's wallet is wrong.

I guess we need to clarify what YOU mean by "sequences of ones and zeroes."

I'm not really sure how purchasing an old SNES game will benefit Nintendo either. It's not like the money you are paying the guy on ebay is going to Nintendo. Pirated or purchased, Nintendo will not see a dime of a product that is not being purchased directly from the retailer. It's not like they have their entire backlog of games on the virtual console.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    The games itself also lose the value over time. Nintendo should do a 180 turn and start giving away those games for free (with their emulators).
    They might not be as profitable, but they still earn money.

With a digital distribution platform, why *wouldn't* you retain ownership and continue to sell something as long as you possibly can ?

Deleted
    I guess we need to clarify what YOU mean by "sequences of ones and zeroes."
    i honestly don't know how i can break that description down any further.

10+ Year Old Account
    i honestly don't know how i can break that description down any further.
    I just really don't understand what you are trying to ask. I don't know of anything besides binary code that has to do with sequences of 1's and 0's......

paraphrasing.

Nintendo does it to me(through youtube copyright). so it's ok for you to do it to nintendo.
    While I pirate the living shit out of everything, literally, I guess that's what the OP means in terms of "two wrongs don't make a right" eh? Because that makes no sense. Nintendo protects their IPs by filing DMCA's, so he figures he'll pirate more Nintendo products? lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asher13 View Post
    I'm not really sure how purchasing an old SNES game will benefit Nintendo either. It's not like the money you are paying the guy on ebay is going to Nintendo. Pirated or purchased, Nintendo will not see a dime of a product that is not being purchased directly from the retailer. It's not like they have their entire backlog of games on the virtual console.
    I think most (or at least large publishers?) EULAs forbid you from selling games to third-parties. The EULA is non-transferrable in the majority of cases. In other words, it's just legal speak, but still.

eh, I feel like this argument really only works out for people in sterling's position. entertaining vid though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Depends if the game cant really be aquired through any legal means or live in a country where buying games isnt a thing basically the same opinion as Extra Credits has on the subject.

Just saying, their businessmen do all these wrongs, not the developers, the people that create the products we're stealing.
    That's the equivalent to being mad at a grocery store because a cashier didn't give you your change, storming into its washrooms, shitting and pissing all over the walls, and leaving. That's a mess someone that has nothing to do with your anger will have to deal with.