Leatrix latency fix

I was wondering if this is still useful? Heard many good things about this program.

meh i think its a script, i don't think there is any real harm in it, could only end up being like a placebo effect. i use a wlan optimiser because of wireless, i think i have the leatrix script enabled. do they help, who knows. i haven't had any wireless problems recently or dcs but that shit can change like the wind.

i'm quite close to the server i think so i have 22ms home/world, can't really get much better. i think its meant to help with lag, packet loss, or time outs maybe, how much it really helps i don't honestly know can't really measure its impact.

or i guess you could run a ping test with MTR and see if your packet loss better with it enabled or disabled.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-02-22 at 03:15 PM.

I have been playing a pay2win mmo back in the years, which servers were multiple thousands of miles away from my location. When I installed leatrix, it had cut my ping (600-800) in half. So I guess, yes, it's worth it.

All that Leatrix is disable Nagle algorithm for networking however wow has a config option that does exactly the same thing nowadays, you can find it under System->Network-> "Optimize Networking for Speed" label in options (same place as toggling advanced combat logging)
    Last edited by Shauren; 2017-02-22 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    I was wondering if this is still useful? Heard many good things about this program.
    At least if you are on a modern version of Windows (Windows 10), don't use this "fix". It never did anything particularly useful (OK, you send an ACK after each packet instead of after each other packet - yes, all the "fix" did was switching the number of packets to wait for from the default "2" to "1" - you maaaaaaaybe improved your latency in a bizarre case you got one packet instead of multiple, at the cost of sending more packets, that's a very dubious trade), but as time marches on, it just harms other optimizations. Let WoW do the network optimization without dumb "fixes" interfering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ceall View Post
    I have been playing a pay2win mmo back in the years, which servers were multiple thousands of miles away from my location. When I installed leatrix, it had cut my ping (600-800) in half. So I guess, yes, it's worth it.
    That can only happen if the game network code is downright terrible. In which case it will continue to be terrible in other ways.
    Last edited by rda; 2017-02-22 at 03:25 PM.

i used wtfast you can get it on steam and it helps if your "routing" is shit i think there is a free trial if you want to try it

Quote Originally Posted by Uselessrouge View Post
    i used wtfast you can get it on steam and it helps if your "routing" is shit i think there is a free trial if you want to try it
    This one will actually work in some cases - but you absolutely have to try it first, because there are no guarantees that it will actually improve things, it might be out of options to improve them based on network arrangement (between you, game servers and their servers).

For anyone who's experiencing excessive latency, we recommend the general troubleshooting steps that we offer here. If that info doesn't help, we ask that you compile your traceroute and then reach out to us via the contact options on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    This one will actually work in some cases - but you absolutely have to try it first, because there are no guarantees that it will actually improve things, it might be out of options to improve them based on network arrangement (between you, game servers and their servers).
    You seem to have a real problem with leatrix, despite the authors proven track record in the past, the current usefulness of his ingame addon, etc. Did it not work for you and because of that you go on some crusade against it as if you had the right to less lag via leatrix?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Araxom View Post
    For anyone who's experiencing excessive latency, we recommend the general troubleshooting steps that we offer here. If that info doesn't help, we ask that you compile your traceroute and then reach out to us via the contact options on this page.
    MMO-champion: the slightly-more-civil official WoW forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauren View Post
    All that Leatrix is disable Nagle algorithm for networking however wow has a config option that does exactly the same thing nowadays, you can find it under System->Network-> "Optimize Networking for Speed" label in options (same place as toggling advanced combat logging)
    Some say that is different to the Leatrix fix though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    You seem to have a real problem with leatrix, despite the authors proven track record in the past, the current usefulness of his ingame addon, etc. Did it not work for you and because of that you go on some crusade against it as if you had the right to less lag via leatrix?
    I have no problem with leatrix, I just understand network communication and know the side effects. Pointy fixes like that that nudge one parameter without paying attention to others (and they can't really pay attention to other parameters, because many are in the hands of WoW devs) are decidedly hit and miss. Thrown into a million of different situations, they improve some, do nothing for others, and harm third. Somehow that's declared a victory, while in fact it's just a pretty dumb change along the lines of "hey, let's try altering that, maybe it will make things better (and if not, alter that back)".

I have no problem with leatrix, I just understand network communication and know the side effects. Pointy fixes like that that nudge one parameter without paying attention to others (and they can't really pay attention to other parameters, because many are in the hands of WoW devs) are decidedly hit and miss. Thrown into a million of different situations, they improve some, do nothing for others, and harm third. Somehow that's declared a victory, while in fact it's just a pretty dumb change along the lines of "hey, let's try altering that, maybe it will make things better (and if not, alter that back)".
    Which in the real world we call troubleshooting - basically what is a logical answer to having a problem (in this case, high latency). Troubleshooter does not know immediately what problem is, and will likely run through a list of solutions in their head in order of a mix of likelihood & ease to set /reverse. Using a latency fix program that works for many is no different to any other possible solution - and it's certainly high up there on ease of setting / reversing.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Which in the real world we call troubleshooting - basically what is a logical answer to having a problem (in this case, high latency). Troubleshooter does not know immediately what problem is, and will likely run through a list of solutions in their head in order of a mix of likelihood & ease to set /reverse. Using a latency fix program that works for many is no different to any other possible solution - and it's certainly high up there on ease of setting / reversing.
    If you don't see a difference between a dumb patch that tries up something "hoping" that it might work and real solutions (like, say, actually finding the bottleneck and removing it / working around it), be my guest.

Next time your car breaks, try replacing tires just in case. No need to check what's up, just replace them because hey, it might work! And if it doesn't, you can replace them back, no harm done!111

If you don't see a difference between a dumb patch that tries up something "hoping" that it might work and real solutions (like, say, actually finding the bottleneck and removing it / working around it), be my guest.

Next time your car breaks, try replacing tires just in case. No need to check what's up, just replace them because hey, it might work!!! And if it doesn't, you can always replace them back.
    Sure, please continue to be obtuse about the point and pretend you don't understand that costly & time consuming fixes based on guesses aren't the same as near instant and easily applied ones.

And it's not a fix for anything - it's a switch that replaces one tradeoff with another. It calls itself a "fix", in reality it's a "changer". But "fix" sounds flashier, so that's what the author calls it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, please continue to be obtuse about the point and pretend you don't understand that costly & time consuming fixes based on guesses aren't the same as near instant and easily applied ones.
    Dear, do you understand what this stupid "fix" does? No, really, do you?

Because I feel like I am wasting my time discussing things with someone who has no clue about them.

"Proven track record", ROFLMAO. You evidently don't understand what we are talking about here.