Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Classic wow nostalgia

in the middle of my transmog farming flying over eastern kingdoms as i look down i'm reminded of a time long ago the old world before the cataclysm and as the old memories go flashing thru my head of old times of epic times compared to now.....RightNow the game just feels like a hot knife through butter.

I quit WoW about a year ago due to these reasons and now started playing on a vanilla server.
    It's just so much more fun. It's hard yes, there are some issues but it's the same atmosphere as 12 years ago. People actually talking and having fun during instance runs, playing together, helping each other because the game is so much harder, but also rewarding.

When was the last time in retail someone buffed you when walking by you or even helping you out without even asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
    I quit WoW about a year ago due to these reasons and now started playing on a vanilla server.
    It's just so much more fun. It's hard yes, there are some issues but it's the same atmosphere as 12 years ago. People actually talking and having fun during instance runs, playing together, helping each other because the game is so much harder, but also rewarding.

When was the last time in retail someone buffed you when walking by you or even helping you out without even asking?
    You can also come back to wow because all those things you just stated you can do in the regular game too.

You're also being typically ignorant by using the term "hard" to describe "a fuckton more grindy and less rewarding on personal skill because the talents and gear provided were incredibly subpar".

Sorry but no it wasn't harder. It was just gated more by time because you needed resistance gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Sorry but no it wasn't harder. It was just gated more by time because you needed resistance gear.
    This thread again I'd have thought after your crappy attempt ata aparody thread you'd have learned to just leave the topic alone for a while

By the metric of "risk of death" the classic experience is almost infinitely times more difficult than retail...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    This thread again I'd have thought after your crappy attempt ata aparody thread you'd have learned to just leave the topic alone for a while

By the metric of "risk of death" the classic experience is almost infinitely times more difficult than retail...
    Tbh I was sat on a train and bored out of my arse that day because I was stuck at a station in Belgium

Also in terms of raiding no it wasn't. In terms of leveling the risk is still there. Try mass pulling mobs in no heirloom gear. Also it certainly wasn't more rewarding. Here is a green for killing 10 mobs, here is some silver, etc etc. Literally the same reward structure as today in terms of questing yet more time consuming.

Also why can't this go in the thread that is open?
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-24 at 07:27 AM.

I'm specifically talking about leveling/world pve and not about raiding (and resistance gear was only really needed for a few specific bosses).

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras
    You're also being typically ignorant by using the term "hard" to describe "a fuckton more grindy and less rewarding on personal skill because the talents and gear provided were incredibly subpar".
    And you're typically ignorant about what it means playing a multiplayer game not in single player mode... How is it not easy mode when you can run through a dungeon in 20mins with just AoE everything down vs. actually needing skill to cc and focusing the right mobs, to use all available abilities? In the same duration, is it more fun to running through the same dungeon 4 times, or doing it once and have a feeling of accomplishment for all the struggle?
    In the current state of WoW, you don't really need to mind your environment. Pulling a second mob on your level can result your death in Vanilla.

Gear and talents being 'subpar' is just relative to balancing. I know Blizzard fixed may issues in that regard, but they forgot to increase the difficulty of the environment in the process, which resulted in everything being watered down.

Rallying a group and then actually travel to the instance itself is always fun, it gives you time to get to know your group, feeling more on an adventure than just some joining in on saying Hi/Bye. For that I can just play a single player game.
    Last edited by Sokar; 2017-02-24 at 07:35 AM.

Tbh I was sat on a train and bored out of my arse that day because I was stuck at a station in Belgium

Also in terms of raiding no it wasn't. In terms of leveling the risk is still there mass pulling mobs in no heirloom gear for new players. Also it certainly wasn't more rewarding. Here is a green for killing 10 mobs, here is some silver, etc etc.
    Comparative. A green and some silver is a greater reward in a world of whites greys and copper pieces I guess (as always) we'll have to disagree about the risk of death in retail. Although its hardly surprising you leapt to comparing retail's raiding and disregarded the levelling; there isn't a great deal to the game other than that huehuehue. Incidentally unless they've revamped the questing experience for Legion, its still pretty fucking impossible to die even without heirlooms in the open world. You pretty much have to be AFK or intentionally trying to kill yourself (One of the -to their credit- things that the revamped questing did to cata was unify the rewards a little better so that doing a couple of similarly levelled zones would reward you with most of a set of armour that looks the same; I actually quite liked the blue colouring of the thousand needles/hinterlands(? think) mail armor set you get as a reward So I've levelled toons w/o heirlooms and it is a walk in the park comparatively)
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Comparative. A green and some silver is a greater reward in a world of whites greys and copper pieces I guess (as always) we'll have to disagree about the risk of death in retail. Although its hardly surprising you leapt to comparing retail's raiding and disregarded the levelling; there isn't a great deal to the game other than that huehuehue. Incidentally unless they've revamped the questing experience for Legion, its still pretty fucking impossible to die even without heirlooms in the open world. You pretty much have to be AFK or intentionally trying to kill yourself (One of the -to their credit- things that the revamped questing did to cata was unify the rewards a little better so that doing a couple of similarly levelled zones would reward you with most of a set of armour that looks the same; I actually quite liked the blue colouring of the thousand needles/hinterlands(? think) mail armor set you get as a reward So I've levelled toons w/o heirlooms and it is a walk in the park comparatively)
    I'm not saying levelling isn't easier but the reward structure hasn't changed much over the years. It still awards you with gear and currency. I don't see an issue with the level ling today either. Nobody wants to level 110 levels and it take an eternity. Even older MMOs toned it down a little. Also I misread. I thought he meant endgame because usually that's what people talk about when they mean difficulty. There I admit it.

Deleted

The world was more dangerous yes. The things that where supposed to actually be hard was 15-20 times easier then they are today.

It's factually wrong to just spout vanilla was harder then retail.

well after the meltdown of the most prominent vanilla server private server that's off the table for me i just hope one day we get official classic realms or they go back the same mentality of the old days

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    The world was more dangerous yes. The things that where supposed to actually be hard was 15-20 times easier then they are today.

I was a hardcore raider in Vanilla, and it was fun to invest the time because you could actually differentiate between the people investing time and those who did not. In WoD I was just casually playing and I had a couple of chars completely packed in epics. There was just no real incentive left there to invest a great time in real raiding...

Likewise its factually wrong to just spout retail is harder than vanilla was *shrug*

If the only things you can list are "raiding and mythic+ 15" as the difficult things on retail, then yes, classic was overall more difficult and unforgiving.

It's no secret the game just is overall easier today, because that's the players Blizzard wants to cater to.

I think back and realize how awfully designed the game was, and how surprising it is that the most casual MMO took off this hard.

Im glad they went away from the mentality of "well, fuck, we dont know how to make a game".

But I forgot, making a dungeon take 50 days and having to press one button before you initiate a pack is GREAT DIFFICULTY! Really sums up the IQ of the nostalgia fanboys if they think pressing the CC button is "difficult".
    Last edited by Makorus; 2017-02-24 at 07:45 AM.

I like to endulge in old days WoW nostalgia.
    But jeez, live a little. New WoW oozes character. When I walk around in Suramar or climb the Highmountain, look at the landscape and hear the wonderful music, I'm enraptured by the vibe. It's wonderful. Why do people always have to cloister themselves away just because they like to hold on to past things? There's beauty in both, and captivating things to do in both old and new WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    I think back and realize how awfully designed the game was, and how surprising it is that the most casual MMO took off this hard.

Im glad they went away from the mentality of "well, fuck, we dont know how to make a game".

But I forgot, making a dungeon take 50 days and having to press one button before you initiate a pack is GREAT DIFFICULTY! Really sums up the IQ of the nostalgia fanboys if they think pressing the CC button is "difficult".
    Hyperboling is always so much fun isn't it.

It's very hard to take seriously though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    You can also come back to wow because all those things you just stated you can do in the regular game too.

People like what they like.
    I happen to enjoy MMOs that are less APM-heavy and require a focus on community to do anything in them.
    You prefer queueing for dungeons from a city, grinding mythic+, and homogenization.

Different strokes.
    [Kawaii c@girl IRL]

Deleted
    I do believe that it's same guy over and over again just with different account name that is making these posts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    If the only things you can list are "raiding and mythic+ 15" as the difficult things on retail, then yes, classic was overall more difficult and unforgiving.

It's no secret the game just is overall easier today, because that's the players Blizzard wants to cater to.
    You are wrong and delusional. Normal raiding today is harder then anything pre aq. Naxx is easier then hc. And yes it's true. There are plenty of ways to go try it out right now so there is absolutely no reason to try and argue against it. The ONLY thing harder in vanilla was the levelling experience. Which was a large part of vanilla but is not something people want to spend a lot of time on today. The game evolved along with people. I'm so tired of people like you with your rose tinted glasses who refuse to face facts even though you can go fucking try them out right now

- - - Updated - - -

I was a hardcore raider in Vanilla, and it was fun to invest the time because you could actually differentiate between the people investing time and those who did not. In WoD I was just casually playing and I had a couple of chars completely packed in epics. There was just no real incentive left there to invest a great time in real raiding...
    I'm talking about difficulty not time investment....