Poll: What option to you prefer?

Would you use an Addiction Hotline if Blizzard implemented it?

There seems to be a large group of people who are blaming an MMO developer for their lack of self control. This may come as a surprise, but MMOs are a grind. There is no end or "beating the game." You can have the most elite of gear one day, and the next it could be vendor trash.

What I've noticed is people saying they're "forced" to do things when they're not. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Many players have great self control and do what they want when they want. Many of the community on this forum (which seems to be mostly angry addicts and ex-addicts) have this weird belief that it's Blizzard's fault.

It's not. They give you parental controls. They tell you with loading screen tips to go outside and take things in moderation. It's not their fault that YOU, the addict, can't stop.

I've included a poll to see where you all sit on this. If Blizzard offered you options to help end your addiction, would you use them?
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Better to be addicted to wow, than meth!

Deleted
    Edgy thread idea of the week #2

One of the dumbest threads ever. GJ op.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Given that these people are quick to blame external factors for their issues, I think it's safe to assume that they wouldn't call an addiction hotline.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have enough self control, thanks.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I might seem addicted to some, but I enjoy the game enough to also know when to stop if needed.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Nope, I'm not addicted....... I can stop whenever I want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosdrone View Post
    There seems to be a large group of people who are blaming an MMO developer for their lack of self control. This may come as a surprise, but MMOs are a grind. There is no end or "beating the game." You can have the most elite of gear one day, and the next it could be vendor trash.
    This might be a surprise for you, but MMO developers actively try to get you addicted. Its called "player retention", but its the same thing. This has nothing to do with insufficient self-control. Blizzard is a company, and they try to make money.Thats means they need to retain customers, and so they'll give you incentives to play as much as possible. because the more you play, the more likely it gets that you won't suddenly stop (emotional attachment) and it gets more likely you buy additional stuff from the AH.

So blaming people for poor self-control is not constructive when Blizzard goes through considerable length to increase the addicting parts of the game.

It's not their fault that YOU, the addict, can't stop.
    Oh yes, it is.

Thats why most countries have regulations and laws for gambling. It just happens that there isn't one for computer gaming (yet).

Deleted
    Finally a girl I can talk about WoW? Of course.