Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I'm saying federal funds should not be used for local pork projects, yes. Use your own money for that, like we do where I live.
    Why? Federal spending on state level infrastructure improves citizens' lives. There's no way to build an infrastructure system where everyone benefits from everything.

Homeless dudes don't commute to work in Silicon Valley, last I checked. I mean, maybe I'm wrong. Nobody is paying for the transportation in my town. Why should I pay for this?
    Lots of people commute between San Jose and San Francisco. San Francisco has a shit ton of commuters every day because it's expensive as fuck to live in the city proper.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm saying federal funds should not be used for local pork projects, yes. Use your own money for that, like we do where I live.
    Chances are your local projects are making use of the welfare fund California donates to every year.

Homeless dudes don't commute to work in Silicon Valley, last I checked. I mean, maybe I'm wrong. Nobody is paying for the transportation in my town. Why should I pay for this?
    The world is more than rich people and the homeless lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Why? Federal spending on state level infrastructure improves citizens' lives. There's no way to build an infrastructure system where everyone benefits from everything.
    Presumably ALL spending helps someone. By that logic we should give everyone air craft carriers. The overwhelming majority of all infrastructure is non-federal spending. Ergo, anytime some of it is federal spending, it's subject to question as pork or not, imho.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Chances are your local projects are making use of the welfare fund California donates to every year.
    My state doesn't have or need much infrastructure so, you are likely dead wrong. Just sayin...

The bottom line is, this is a local commuter train that has fuck all to do with the nationwide transportation network. It should not be a federally funded project, imho.

It must be nice living where the Queen of Spend holds a seat.

Presumably ALL spending helps someone. By that logic we should give everyone air craft carriers. The overwhelming majority of all infrastructure is non-federal spending. Ergo, anytime some of it is federal spending, it's subject to question as pork or not, imho.
    You've made two seperate complaints here. One, that this spending doesn't help enough people, which you haven't shown, and Two, that spending should help everyone. The first isn't proven and the second is nonsense.

My state doesn't have or need much infrastructure so,
    Where?

- - - Updated - - -

The bottom line is, this is a local commuter train that has fuck all to do with the nationwide transportation network. It should not be a federally funded project, imho.
    You've offered no argument why it shouldn't be aside from moralizing.

7+ Year Old Account
    My state doesn't have or need much infrastructure so, you are likely dead wrong. Just sayin...
    Bet it does! Just saying...
    (you know what they say, immitation is the highest form of...)

Yes it does and yes it should.

It must be nice living where the Queen of Spend holds a seat.
    She kind of pisses me off cause she allows too much money to flow out of the state. WTF! Home first!

From http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/1...fication-money

"For example, they say, a plant would be built in Salt Lake City to assemble the new rail cars."

So it wouldn't just support the local area.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    From http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/1...fication-money

"For example, they say, a plant would be built in Salt Lake City to assemble the new rail cars."

So it wouldn't just support the local area.
    Was your assumption that I might think these rail cars were going to be conjured out of thin air? The fact that rail cars are made in the US is nice but, that's like saying you used my credit card to go to dinner but, don't worry, you supported a local business when you did it.

Was your assumption that I might think these rail cars were going to be conjured out of thin air? The fact that rail cars are made in the US is nice but, that's like saying you used my credit card to go to dinner but, don't worry, you supported a local business when you did it.
    I thought your argument was that it's a local project so only local money should be spent on it. But it's also creating jobs in other parts of the country.

The only reason this got blocked is because CA republicans wanted to block the high speed rail project which happens to use these same tracks for part of it and this project got tied to it even though it's been planned for 15 years. Most rail projects get some subsidies/money from the federal government. I know the local Chicago commuter rail does and that touches nothing but Illinois (except one line going a few miles in Wisconsin).
    Last edited by Nellise; 2017-02-24 at 04:44 AM.

oh wait, for California. Nevermind. An old friend once told me elections have consequences

I thought your argument was that it's a local project so only local money should be spent on it. But it's also creating jobs in other parts of the country.

The only reason this got blocked is because CA republicans wanted to block the high speed rail project which happens to use these same tracks for part of it and this project got tied to it even though it's been planned for 15 years. Most rail projects get some subsidies/money from the federal government. I know the local Chicago commuter rail does and that touches nothing but Illinois (except one line going a few miles in Wisconsin).
    Are you serious? Do you actually think this way, or are you just deflecting? Surely you did not read my analogy, and then reply right back with the same comment that caused my analogy, while not having it impact your thinking in any way.

Let's try another one. If you steal twenty dollars from me, but then give half to another person, are you saying I should not care, because another person benefited, aside from the thief? (not saying taxes are theft..just an analogy)

"Creating jobs", especially so laughably few, is no reason to use shared resources in a selfish way.

Are you serious? Do you actually think this way, or are you just deflecting? Surely you did not read my analogy, and then reply right back with the same comment that caused my analogy, while not having it impact your thinking in any way.

Let's try another one. If you steal twenty dollars from me, but then give half to another person, are you saying I should not care, because another person benefited, aside from the thief? (not saying taxes are theft..just an analogy)

"Creating jobs", especially so laughably few, is no reason to use shared resources in a selfish way.
    Your analogy was equating funds set aside for transportation projects being the same as stealing which is stupid so I ignored it. These funds are for these types of projects.

Better infrastructure creates more job opportunities in an area and more wealth. You think it's a coincidence that the highest earning areas in the country are the ones with subways and rail support? That creates money that is taxed and sent to the federal government. It's an investment.

Your analogy was equating funds set aside for transportation projects being the same as stealing which is stupid so I ignored it. These funds are for these types of projects.

Better infrastructure creates more job opportunities in an area and more wealth. You think it's a coincidence that the highest earning areas in the country are the ones with subways and rail support? That creates money that is taxed and sent to the federal government. It's an investment.
    Are you for real? How can anyone think that? ROFL

The "highest earning areas" are the ones with the most dense population. The increased spending on transportation is due to the NEED. Did you state that poorly, or are you legit making some sort of case that subways increase economic output? By this logic, they can put a train in the middle of nowhere, and then the next Chicago will form around it. I don't even....just never mind....

I have it on good authority that millions of people living in California aren't liberal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Should be fine... I mean California is self-reliant enough to be its own country right? #Calexit
    #Calexit #trumpkinsstandwithyou #Resistance ..... #GTFO

I like how typical red "beggar" state trolls are claiming that they are "giving" away their money to California even though California is getting a small part of big check they send to Washington every-year. If only it was as awesome as your typical red state...you know, the ones that "feed" us all with all their hard work.

The "highest earning areas" are the ones with the most dense population. The increased spending on transportation is due to the NEED.
    The density is allowed by the transportation options. As you say, there is a NEED in order for these cities to grow to improve their infrastructure. NYC and other dense cities wouldn't be possible without their trains and subways. Compare those cities to Houston's sprawl: Houston keeps trying to expand their roadways instead but are starting to hit the limits of what they can do (see the I-10 expansion).

This project nearly doubles the amount of riders that can use this train line which allows more people to fit into the same area without increasing already nightmarish road congestion. More people working in this area is a good thing, with how important it is you don't want Silicon Valley to stagnate because enough people can't live there.

The density is allowed by the transportation options. As you say, there is a NEED in order for these cities to grow to improve their infrastructure. NYC and other dense cities wouldn't be possible without their trains and subways. Compare those cities to Houston's sprawl: Houston keeps trying to expand their roadways instead but are starting to hit the limits of what they can do (see the I-10 expansion).

This project nearly doubles the amount of riders that can use this train line which allows more people to fit into the same area without increasing already nightmarish road congestion. More people working in this area is a good thing, with how important it is you don't want Silicon Valley to stagnate because enough people can't live there.
    Alternatively, you could eliminate the root cause of the high housing costs, so that long commutes are not needed. It's not an accident that the two markets with the strictest and most over bearing rent control also have the highest rent. Eliminate the rent control, and they will just build new buildings to house the demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I have it on good authority that millions of people living in California aren't liberal.
    We're just treated like red-headed step children.