Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Well... why exactly is this a problem? Why is it a bad law? When you look at laws, usually you need reasons. Reasons to implement them and once they are implemented (with good reasons as implied), you need an equally good reason to remove them. Stands to reason, no?

So, why should they remove those blasphemy laws exactly? Are they hurting anyone? Are they bad? Why are they bad?
    Really? Why are blasphemy laws bad?

They're 100% unnecessary.

To protect people from burning down places of worship? Why, is arson not a crime? Attempted murder isn't a crime?

This is a blatant, "don't criticize or speak out against religion" move.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    what a fucking stupid thing. european freedom of speech is dying more and more every day.
    I mean... this is an ancient piece of legislation. If anything, it's business as usual.
    That is so rarely triggered is enough of a testament that free speech in Europe is alive and well.
    I think there's always cause for concern, when censorious assholes try to enact their abhorrent world view. But in a broad sense we're doing alright.

Deleted
    Well... why exactly is this a problem? Why is it a bad law? When you look at laws, usually you need reasons. Reasons to implement them and once they are implemented (with good reasons as implied), you need an equally good reason to remove them. Stands to reason, no?

So, why should they remove those blasphemy laws exactly? Are they hurting anyone? Are they bad? Why are they bad?
    They're bad because they limit people's ability to express themselves as well as their ability to critique religion.

Blasphemy laws are bad because they give undue legal power to religions.

Quote Originally Posted by yabadabadoh View Post
    ooh god nooooo! its the end of times! gtfo..

we could build that Mexican wall if all you morons would eat hyperbole's for breakfast and shit bricks. he burned a book with malice intentions and too blaspheme a "certain group of people". but i guess bashing "browns" is a time killing hobby for you know who's. it's not freedom of speech dying, its people turning into apes thats killing civilizations and turning civil discussion into a joke.
    you're trying to make a religious issue into a racial issue. i dislike that fat ginger muslim i've seen just as much as any other. because i'm smart enough to realize that their ideals, that most religious ideals, are entirely antithetical to any ideals that any good liberal should have.

people should be free to show their hate as long as they aren't actually hurting someone. also, people shouldn't be held to the standard of a religion they don't follow either, that's fucking sickening.

Well, at the very least... you do take your freedoms seriously. I often wonder... what if Ferengis came to Germany and wanted to have their religion acknowledged? As far as Ferengis go, they do actually believe in commerce as a religion. Would we grant it? I know the US would, because apparently, they're open to basically everything being "a religion".
    Damn right we would! A quick google and Jedism (aka Star Wars Jedis) is a recognized religion along with the flying Spaghetti Monster. I'd like to point out, that you will need to fill out the paperwork to get said status. We take paperwork very seriously here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Really? Why are blasphemy laws bad?

They're 100% unnecessary.

To protect people from burning down places of worship? Why, is arson not a crime? Attempted murder isn't a crime?

This is a blatant, "don't criticize or speak out against religion" move.
    So, you want a law removed, because it is unnecessary? Someone once believed it was necessary. In your favour, I'm assuming that was when Denmark was not secular. But as it stands, what's so bad about blasphemy banning? Blasphemy these days is aimed at insulting religions, is it not? What about insulting religions is so protection worthy that you'd want to get this law rid of? I'll help you here, since you're having a tough time to make arguments... now is where you say "But free speech!" and I will rebutt with "Well, that is actually a good argument, but should free speech include insults that have no other content than insult?" and so on and so forth...

Go on, you try it. Make a real argument!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Longinus View Post
    They're bad because they limit people's ability to express themselves as well as their ability to critique religion.
    Hum, can religion be critiqued? Or do you mean religious practice? I think a religion, any religion, is above critique, since it's based on belief that is not based in facts anyway. But you can certainly critique Islam practices (Sharia) without being blasphemous, can't you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    Blasphemy laws are bad because they give undue legal power to religions.
    Blasphemy laws don't give religion legal power. As criminal code, the state is the plaintiff, not "the religion" or its representatives. I'm talking out of my ass here, but Danish people will correct me if it works differently in Denmark than in Germany.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Damn right we would! A quick google and Jedism (aka Star Wars Jedis) is a recognized religion along with the flying Spaghetti Monster. I'd like to point out, that you will need to fill out the paperwork to get said status. We take paperwork very seriously here too.
    You know, THOSE are actually cool religions! Unlike Scientology.... have you ever denied anything a religion? You must have, some of your sects don't get recognised... what was the cult with the mass suicide? I forgot its name...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Blasphemy laws don't give religion legal power.
    Yes, it does. It gives religion the means to strike against blasphemy. Not directly like in theocracies but still indirectly through the state.
    Last edited by Moratori; 2017-02-25 at 03:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you want a law removed, because it is unnecessary? Someone once believed it was necessary. In your favour, I'm assuming that was when Denmark was not secular. But as it stands, what's so bad about blasphemy banning? Blasphemy these days is aimed at insulting religions, is it not? What about insulting religions is so protection worthy that you'd want to get this law rid of? I'll help you here, since you're having a tough time to make arguments... now is where you say "But free speech!" and I will rebutt with "Well, that is actually a good argument, but should free speech include insults that have no other content than insult?" and so on and so forth...

Go on, you try it. Make a real argument!
    Is there a law in Denmark that says I can't call you a jackass? Serious question. Are people in Denmark forbidden by law to insult anyone or anything? If not, why are fantasies protected, but not people?

Wtf? Blasphemy? I thought he had done it in some Arab country, but IN Denmark...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    also, people shouldn't be held to the standard of a religion they don't follow either, that's fucking sickening.
    Tell that to Republicans.

I am an atheist and I think religions are stupid, but I still find this anti-Muslim hysteria distasteful. The religion I worry about is Christianity, as that is the dominant religion in most western counties, and thus it is far more likely that harmful ideas in that religion will have public support. In western counties (esp. in USA) the conservative Christians have been a far greater danger to liberal values than any Muslim immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Actually, every basic law and every western constitution protects the right for religion. Which includes protecting its temples and holy books.

I dont see anything wrong about that.
    You don't see the problem with giving certain religions state power? No problem with giving people the right to others' property if it's considered "holy" enough by the government? You're taking us back to medieval theocracy.

I am an atheist and I think religions are stupid, but I still find this anti-Muslim hysteria distasteful. The religion I worry about is Christianity, as that is the dominant religion in most western counties, and thus it is far more likely that harmful ideas in that religion will have public support. In western counties (esp. in USA) the conservative Christians have been a far greater danger to liberal values than any Muslim immigrants.
    Do you think atheists should be held to the religious morals and laws of every religion (which they obviously don't follow)?

Deleted
    Hum, can religion be critiqued? Or do you mean religious practice? I think a religion, any religion, is above critique, since it's based on belief that is not based in facts anyway. But you can certainly critique Islam practices (Sharia) without being blasphemous, can't you?
    The very idea that you should hold beliefs not based on facts should be critiqued and mercilessly mocked.

i don't want people held to any religious standard. i want it all out of government. it'd be nice if the reverse were true, laws to crack down on religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Danish man who burned Quran charged with blasphemy
    I'm surprised that Denmark still have a blasphemy law.

I'd agree that such laws have no place in modern society, however, if people can't be civil enough to not go out of their way to destroy and mock texts that some find holy just to cause trouble, perhaps we need those laws, archaic that they be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    It doesn't stop them from being law.
    And he got charged with this 'bogus' thing because of the context.

They'd only remove these laws when they replace them with other things that would have stopped this guy.
    if you ever want a law that stops this kind of act, you're what's wrong with european society.

it's that simple. religion deserves no protection from government. it deserves no place in government, and it deserves no exemption from mockery and disgust.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post

I'd agree that such laws have no place in modern society, however, if people can't be civil enough to not go out of their way to destroy and mock texts that some find holy just to cause trouble, perhaps we need those laws, archaic that they be.
    no we fucking don't need them, because someone destroying and mocking holy shit isn't any of your goddamned business and you shouldn't get to stop people from doing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Do you think atheists should be held to the religious morals and laws of every religion (which they obviously don't follow)?
    No one should be held to any religious morals, besides those they choose to impose upon themselves personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post

Or people could ignore content they find offensive?

The guy posted the image on a Facebook page that's all about trashing religion, he didn't print out thousands of flyers of him burning the book and posted them on every car/door/dog.

If it's not illegal to burn your own copy of "The Cat in the Hat", it shouldn't be illegal to burn any other fantasy book either.

Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    Yes, it does. It gives religion the means to strike against blasphemy. Not directly like in theocracies but still indirectly through the state.
    Have you seen a religion DO anything? Like, ever? Because that would actually make that religion a real thing and I would literally convert the next minute, because apparently, that religion really exists... :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Is there a law in Denmark that says I can't call you a jackass? Serious question. Are people in Denmark forbidden by law to insult anyone or anything? If not, why are fantasies protected, but not people?
    I know in Germany there is such a law.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.