Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see much of an issue. If it was boys on the girl team I'd probably see it differently but girls on a boys team isn't exactly an advantage (not that it's necessarily a disadvantage either).

Should we really be teaching kids that rules and rules and everyone has to follow them when it is socially acceptable, dare I say the norm, for management and upper management to constantly break the same rules they enforce?

It's fairly common at my place of work to come in to work hours late and leave hours early, yet the people who work under me are held to a different standard. If we lie to our children and tell them rules are rules and everyone has to follow them, we're really just setting them up to fail. The last person who complained about my attendance or lack there of was retaliated against. Good ol' at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    oh. yeah it was nice of them, but I always try to involve all parties. There were also the ones that were cheated and robbed of their time. I feel for them too
    Who were cheated and robbed of their time? All the teams involved got to play the game which is what they all (kids anyway) wanted, the other teams now all technically won those previous games by default, the refs got paid, the court had their fees paid, the league had their dues paid.... not really seeing a waste/ cheating/ robbery of time or money. The only team that literally wasted their time is the one we're talking about here, but as you stated that's on them for not reading up on the rules beforehand.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I play games with my friends, we generally have a 'no backsies' rule. If you forget to enforce the rules for a certain portion of the game, you cannot retroactively enforce them, you can only enforce them going forward.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    As for the ruling. It's going to depend on how readily available the rules are. If the rules are not easily obtainable, then I think the punishment was a bit harsh. If they rules are easy to find, then they suffer the consequences for breaking the rules.
    Remember they'd already played 10 games when this happened, so they'd been in front of refs and officials 10 times with nobody saying anything. Its a safe assumption that the rules were not readily available or widely known.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Remember they'd already played 10 games when this happened, so they'd been in front of refs and officials 10 times with nobody saying anything. Its a safe assumption that the rules were not readily available or widely known.
    No no. We have to make sure everyone knows what awful, terrible children these kids are. I mean, they actually had girl cooties and boy cooties in the same place. Obvious lawbreakers waiting to happen.

Shame them. Cause youth basketball league rules are the same as criminal law.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

The fact that 9 years olds were forfeited in a league for prepubescent kids and that some people on here even try to justify any of that shit, just show how some adults are worse then kids lmao. The fact that the kids were mature enough to just forfeit and not be babies about it, since you know its a league for kids to have fun in, puts people like orlong to shame.

When 9 years old can teach your maturity, its time to question yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

oh. yeah it was nice of them, but I always try to involve all parties. There were also the ones that were cheated and robbed of their time. I feel for them too
    Its a league for 9 years old ffs. What time has been robbed, the entire thing is a waste of time for fun. Jesus christ, some people are mentally disabled lmao.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-02-28 at 02:30 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, they broke the rules, and then "took a stand" by allowing the consequences to play out exactly as they're outlined?

well, I boldly took a stand by eating at taco bell, and then shitting out what felt like a kidney.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I mean, they actually had girl cooties and boy cooties in the same place.
    OUTRAGE! Everyone should be jailed to the maximum extent of the law allowable for federal tax evasion!

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06
    So, they broke the rules, and then "took a stand" by allowing the consequences to play out exactly as they're outlined?
    Its more they were given the option to break up the team and continue their season or stay together and forfeit and they chose to stay together.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    OUTRAGE! Everyone should be jailed to the maximum extent of the law allowable for federal tax evasion!

Its more they were given the option to break up the team and continue their season or stay together and forfeit and they chose to stay together.
    All their games had been disqualified retroactively, so their season was already over.

Then it is a very clear case.

Ignorantia juris non excusat
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignora...is_non_excusat

ignorance of law excuses no one

And that means that the team cheated and should be rightfully disqualified. I hope actions are taking against them.
    They wasted everybodies time. Disgusting
    Just pointing out that this is one of the dumbest ideas on record. If you have a law code that is so complex that it is impossible to know it all. Moreover, it's a law code that is heavily open to interpretation. As it is impossible to know the whole law, and how it will be enforced in a given case, it is of course quite possible that someone is punished for doing something they thought was completely legitimate. That is not justice.

A concise and transparent law code is a necessary precondition of a truly just society.

Even if we buy into ignorantia juris non excusat , it is dependent on the idea that people learn rules as they participate in society.

From Cicero in the Wikipedia you linked: "There is a true law, right reason, agreeable to nature, known to all men, constant and eternal, which calls to duty by its precepts, deters from evil by its prohibition. This law cannot be departed from without guilt. Nor is there one law at Rome and another at Athens, one thing now and another afterward; but the same law, unchanging and eternal, binds all races of man and all times."

I would bet that at least 90% of people would not say that playing a coed team in a men's league is cheating, given that women are not physically more able than men. If the law is not in keeping with the societal understanding of right and wrong that Cicero is discussing, ignorantia juris non excusat is certainly not a valid reason to convict. That is to say that ignorance in this case is a perfectly reasonable excuse.
    Last edited by Delana; 2017-02-28 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Sorry, better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    All their games had been disqualified retroactively, so their season was already over.
    Only if they removed the girls, not if they stayed together. Read the article again.
    The St. John’s Chargers were sitting in third place in their division going into Friday night’s game and would still have been allowed to compete in the league playoffs, but only if the girls did not play, the parent said.

Thank god.
    Justice wins again.
    I find your moral absolutism disturbing.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only if they removed the girls, not if they stayed together. Read the article again.
    And? it's not a bold stand to say "oh well the rules were different back then" In fact, that's kind of just an excuse for someone to ignore that granpa's being racist again.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    And? it's not a bold stand to say "oh well the rules were different back then" In fact, that's kind of just an excuse for someone to ignore that granpa's being racist again.
    What?

No, seriously what?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    They lose either way. Girls dont have the muscular structure to be as strong as the boys. They wouldve lost every game anyway. Girls should play with the other girls, and boys should play with the other boys as its been since sports were invented
    Huh? They were in third place and eligible for the playoffs. How do you figure they would have lost?

10+ Year Old Account
    That moment a school basketball team is right and the rest of the world is wrong.

Good on them.

there's biological differences between men and women, and even boys and girls.

they should shouldn't be allowed to play together on a sport team.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    I find your moral absolutism disturbing.
    justice and morality are not the same

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    If they arent required to strictly follow every rule of the game, they will grow up thinking its OK to just change the rules every time they feel like it. Thats why there are so many bullshit ways that people treat the free parking space on a Monopoly board. Rules need to be followed
    Because of free parking in Monopoly I never learned how important rules were and am now spending life in jail.

What people need to learn is when strictly following the rules is important and when some shit just really doesn't matter.