Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    This is untrue. Except nursing, it was very much the case up until the last few decades. However, I certainly don't think it's been the case since the 70s or 80s except in the rare uber social conservative household.
    I used a poor choice of words. You get what I mean though, like within the last couple of decades. Companies are assholes, and they hire whoever they can find, for the cheapest. Just look at the whole H1B fiasco.

Nothing, yes, no, and you're correct if you actually think that.
    That's what I assumed. Confused (but not suprised) on the usual support he gets from empty actions.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Why?
    Because we know what's best for them and that is STEM fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Because we know what's best for them and that is STEM fields.
    I'm looking at it as we need to have fewer people doing things like pursuing their doctorate in medieval studies. If you're going to try and shift people from those areas they have to go somewhere, and STEM makes the most practical sense moving forward.

'member when conservatives were shitting their pants in rage about Obama signing executive orders?

Christ, at least his were specific and actually did something. These are just glorified tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I don't see disadvantages. I've been in several biology labs, and am now in a chemical engineering lab. The M:F ratio has been about 3:7 in biology labs and 6:4 in the chemical engineering lab.

- - - Updated - - -

There's hostility to anyone who doesn't fit into the culture of the lab/workplace/etc. It's not just women, and it's not just STEM.
    It's hostility based on the fact that they're women.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I recall this one incident from a female engineer at uber. It got trending on twitter
    https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/20...e-year-at-uber
    One incident that, having read a good deal about her and what supposedly went on... her account just doesn't add up. Anything else? Like actual large scale data and not Internet blogs? Not trying to be snarky, just looking for valid statistical data and not a few sporadic anecdotes.

Note that I know there are some individual instances - that's just the way the world works in general. When I first heard about her story, I assumed it was something pretty corrupt - I mean, she already left the job, why would she embellish? Then I read what she had to say and some history and background on her, and my assumption of wrongdoing turned pretty quickly to suspicion of her take on events.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I have a hard time believing internet blog stories :|
    I mean the whole thing was later backed up by a bunch of female engineers at UBER.
    https://www.techcrunch.com/2017/02/2...h-sexism-here/

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    My wife deals with hostility FROM other women in her STEM workplace... I haven't heard about any TOWARD women. Obviously anecdotal, but your claim has no backing either, so... anything backed with actual data?

One incident that, having read a good deal about her and what supposedly went on... her account just doesn't add up. Anything else? Like actual large scale data and not Internet blogs? Not trying to be snarky, just looking for valid statistical data and not a few sporadic anecdotes.

Note that I know there are some individual instances - that's just the way the world works in general. When I first heard about her story, I assumed it was something pretty corrupt - I mean, she already left the job, why would she embellish? Then I read what she had to say and some history and background on her, and my assumption of wrongdoing turned pretty quickly to suspicion of her take on events.
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I used a poor choice of words. You get what I mean though, like within the last couple of decades. Companies are assholes, and they hire whoever they can find, for the cheapest. Just look at the whole H1B fiasco.
    Totally agree. If we needed more people in STEM, there wouldn't be consistent layoffs of American workers in those fields. It's all about gettin' it cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The problem with this stuff is that it's never going to be "Fixed" because "I'm a woman and I disapprove of this situation/person/action/whatever." is pretty much all you need to claim "sexism" anymore.
    Managers and co-workers were actively propositioning female employees. Get lost with this "bluh bluh everything is sexism now" garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    So another bill/order showcasing intent more so than actual policy? Woo..I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, except you know that it's true, so you get outta here with your "bluh bluh everything is sexist" garbage.

If someone is a big meanie face to me at work, I just get to suck it up and move on because no one will give a fuck if I'm sad. If I were female, I could go running to pretty much anyone and make an issue out of it and probably get someone fired. (Which is exactly what happened recently where I work!) Easy game, easy life.
    wtf I hate women now

Yeah, except you know that it's true, so you get outta here with your "bluh bluh everything is sexist" garbage.

If someone is a big meanie face to me at work, I just get to suck it up and move on because no one will give a fuck if I'm sad. If I were female, I could go running to pretty much anyone and make an issue out of it and probably get someone fired. (Which is exactly what happened recently where I work!) Easy game, easy life.
    You're actually allowed to report coworkers and managers for sexual harassment too you know. And no, they weren't fired for it here, that's a huge part of the problem. Uber refused to actually deal with serial sexual harassers.

The problem with this stuff is that it's never going to be "Fixed" because "I'm a woman and I disapprove of this situation/person/action/whatever." is pretty much all you need to claim "sexism" anymore.

I mean, really, there are actual legitimate issues facing women and then there's just the endless, nonstop, incessant fucking whining from people who may or may not just be unhappy about X or Y thing in their life today and realized that they're female and that their complaints can be national news if they just bitch about it hard enough because of the current climate.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much, yeah. The entire thing is largely nonsense, especially the "coding" crap. People are already a dime a dozen in a lot of these fields.
    I dont really think managers and cowrkers harassing employees is whining about nothing.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2017-02-28 at 10:52 PM.

There are men who do similar things though, sleaze their way through taking credit for shit they didn't do and stabbing people in the back just to worm their way up the ladder. Some people just fucking suck, and that trait is not exclusive to either gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity
    Pretty much, yeah. The entire thing is largely nonsense, especially the "coding" crap. People are already a dime a dozen in a lot of these fields.
    Its why the turnover at major companies for those types of positions is so high. I know a few years ago at Apple in Silicon Valley for generic coders/programmers the turnover rate was something like 9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    What do you mean?
    Things like her implication that should has a degree from Stanford. She doesn't. She just took some online classes. The pimping of her book - one written by someone with very little experience no less - all throughout the blog. The creation and push of her book club thing. It all just smacks of someone thinking far more of themselves than they should. I'm not saying the events didn't happen (or more likely just some of it), but her attitude and the way she appears to want to mislead people into thinking she has more going for her than she does, just makes me very wary.

I don't understand this STEM obsession personally. I wouldn't recommend any of those degrees if you're out to make a lot of money. If you love the field, then sure. But if you want a lot of cash do business, law... dentistry maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Ok. You can make this claim, but as someone who spends basically all of their time in STEM research, I have yet to witness a single incident wherein a woman is facing hostility on the basis of their sex.