Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Do these public police death mournings piss anyone else off?

Okay, you don't have to watch the news on television when this happens, but it still enrages me how often it is that if several cops die to some notable conflict, they have to take the time of day to mourn those officers publicly . Like, really? They're not special, and the people brutally murdered or accidentally killed by corrupt cops fade into obscurity and are never mourned. Like that poor child shot and killed for opening a door with a game controller.

What pisses me off is how law enforcement seemingly tries to influence people that each and every one of their lives are highly important and any loss is a gravely tragic one. I say, fuck no, we're all the same and unless we weep for everyone lost, they need to fuck off with this shit that happens every so often.

Deleted
    The police have a shit ton of PR, the state sponsors that PR. The victims have nothing and are also usually blamed.

It's like this because the people as a whole must trust the police regardless the cases of bad cops, because if the people won't trust the police, the very state goes to shit.

For example. In how many American movies have you seen corrupt judges?! I think you can count all of them on the fingers...of one hand. This is because the highest representatives of the law must not be...smeared, even if it's just fiction, because it may cause a snowball effect that affects the social subconscious, and if people won't trust the very judges, the state cannot function.
    Last edited by mmoc594fd2488f; 2017-03-03 at 06:33 PM.

File under "manufactured outrage".

Normal people care more about their coworkers than they do about people they don't know. This is standard, normal behavior. Neurotypical humans are not capable of caring equally about every single person that lives and it's entirely natural to care more about people you more directly empathize with.

Victims of corrupt cops are mourned for years, sometimes. Heck, the victims of police use of force, when force is completely justified, are mourned for years. If cops want to mourn their own, let them. Do I think that their funerals are often far too extravagant? Yes. Then again, I thought the constant mourning for Michael Brown was also far too extravagant.

No, they swore to protect and serve, they died doing that and should be recognized for their sacrifice.

The same way a firefighter would be publicly mourned if they died attempting to put out a fire or while attempting to rescue someone trapped in a burning house.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2017-03-03 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    The police have a shit ton of PR, the state sponsors that PR. The victims have nothing and are also usually blamed.

It's like this because the people as a whole must trust the police regardless the cases of bad cops, because if the people won't trust the police, the very state goes to shit.
    And the way they make it seem so sentimental is so artificial and annoying. When they have the audacity to occasionally bring up crocodile tears, I laugh my head off honestly.

I fucking hate cops and wish we had Marines on patrol instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    And the way they make it seem so sentimental is so artificial and annoying. When they have the audacity to occasionally bring up crocodile tears, I laugh my head off honestly.

Many cops are former Marines. And no, you don't want a bunch of Marines on patrol, because they have even less patience for bullshit than cops do.

Soldiers enforcing the law? Sounds an awful lot like any totalitarian rule ever.

Then you'd just end up hating marines.

The vast majority of cops are good people. They're risking their lives to protect and serve. Your hatred is the result of watching/reading way too much news and thinking that a few bad cops means that every cop is bad.

In other words, you need to figure your shit out.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Generalizing here, but I'm pretty sure the basic idea behind public mourning for cops is that they gave their life for their duty. Their duty, in turn, is (at least in part) the protection of the public. And so the public mourns them out of respect for their sacrifice.

It really has nothing to do with them having an inflated sense of importance. A member of the community gave their life for that community, so the community honors them.
    People who are killed didn't make such a sacrifice, they were the victim of a tragedy.
    And innocent people who are killed by cops, especially recently, DO tend to get a lot of attention.

Edit: might also consider the fact that the families of victims sometimes don't want a public demonstration/media circus around their loved one's death.
    Last edited by Arewn; 2017-03-03 at 06:42 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    And in this thread we have an example of something not worth getting annoyed about!

The people on this forum are inexplicable sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Then you'd just end up hating marines.

The vast majority of cops are good people. They're risking their lives to protect and serve. Your hatred is the result of watching/reading way too much news and thinking that a few bad cops means that every cop is bad.

In other words, you need to figure your shit out.
    It's not a few bad cops.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ..and you couldn't have worded that without "piss shit fuck"? Would have given it more weight. Now you come across like a petty and childish rambler.
    I have a point, though. And I have no reason to not be upset considering the circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that drives me nuts is how EVERYONE has to bring up 'they are out there risking their lives'.......

You do realize that millions of other people go to work everyday and risk their lives right?? LOOOOTs of jobs are extremely dangerous and people get killed at work all the time. People risk their lives to keep the power on. People risk their lives to keep production lines moving. People risk their lives to try to get a few kids through school.

Did you know we had more deaths in the factories back home during WW2 then we did on the battlefields? Prolly not, no one ever thinks about that.

The fact is that there are a great many people who take very very real risks to their lives on a daily basis but we like to cherry pick the few who we want to glorify. It isn't as if these cops are out their doing this work free of charge. This isn't a volunteer thing. Hell even our soldiers are doing a job that they literally applied for. Their deaths are lamentable and we should try to avoid them when at all possible, but lets stop putting certain folks on these platforms like modern day saints.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

I have a point, though. And I have no reason to not be upset considering the circumstances.
    No, you really don't have a point. You are clearly an angry person, who has a hate boner for cops.

Soldiers and cops get very ceremonious memorials. If you don't like it, petition your local council to do away with them. We'll see how much support you get.

I fucking hate cops...
    Why not just say this instead of elaborating at any greater length? If you just flatly hate a group, there's probably not much they can do to not annoy you.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, the circumstance is that you're sitting at the computer. You can't just walk around being upset all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    The only thing that drives me nuts is how EVERYONE has to bring up 'they are out there risking their lives'.......

You do realize that millions of other people go to work everyday and risk their lives right?? LOOOOTs of jobs are extremely dangerous and people get killed at work all the time. People risk their lives to keep the power on. People risk their lives to keep production lines moving. People risk their lives to try to get a few kids through school.

Did you know we had more deaths in the factories back home during WW2 then we did on the battlefields? Prolly not, no one ever thinks about that.

The fact is that there are a great many people who take very very real risks to their lives on a daily basis but we like to cherry pick the few who we want to glorify. It isn't as if these cops are out their doing this work free of charge. This isn't a volunteer thing. Hell even our soldiers are doing a job that they literally applied for. Their deaths are lamentable and we should try to avoid them when at all possible, but lets stop putting certain folks on these platforms like modern day saints.
    amen to this post

10+ Year Old Account
    amen to this post
    To be clear...I'm not going on about hating cops....I just believe we have folks who like to skew the drama to support agendas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

It's not a few bad cops.
    It is. Ferguson wasn't a bad cop, but rather a bad black kid trying to grab his gun. The DoJ confirmed that. Most of the other cases were bad people not bad cops. There are a few bad cops in these cases and it is not limited to white(look up baltimore racketeering charges recently with 6/7 cops and only 2 are white).

- - - Updated - - -

amen to this post
    Not amen to that post since it's so full of inaccuracies and not understanding things.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does piss me off that if someone kills a policeman/woman they generally seem to get a lot longer sentence than a non-policeman/woman in the UK. Whilst both are heinous, one person's life isn't worth any more than any other individual.