Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really what he said though, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Systemic poverty and lack of education?
    There is no evidence of a link between these things and terrorism. The most notable examples of terrorists have had full access to Western institutions of education and lived comfortably in those Western nations.

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post

I'm guessing he doesn't know the meaning of the word diversity, since everything these days is diverse. Or maybe he's trying to say the forced diversity in Hollywood has produced some seriously horrid flops.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    He never really came close to saying that.
    Doesn't matter to some people, their minds are so warped they'll just read what they want to so they can reinforce their views.

That's desperate.

Okay to be fair, I read the whole article. It still doesn't excuse what he alleges, that if Muslims are misrepresented in TV and film, it's going to make Muslim youth feel that joining ISIL is the only path for them in life? There's not enough representation of whites in Saudi Arabian television or film. I guess all the whites living there should get their knives out, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    There are not a lot of Taoists, or Pagans on TV... should we worry about them as well? Fanatical Taoism could be fun... become balanced or else!

I think the problem is not really exposure, or lack of diversity (though it would be cool to see Muslims and Arabs being portrayed more on TV in positive ways), I think the problem is that the lack of it would drive anyone to terrorism within that community.
    I for one have never seen a Jainist portrayed on TV. Guess I'd better become a radical Jainist. Peace and nonviolence, OR ELSE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    It would help an awful lot to dispel any misconceptions people have about muslims if they just spent some time around them.
    Yes. Studies show that is how prejudice dies. Racism/prejudice is most predominant among insular communities with little exposure to the minority groups that they claim to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    I'm a super lefty, but this sounds like bullshit.

lol what a retard
    mr pickles

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That's because the thread is bait.

“If we fail to represent, we are in danger of losing people to extremism,” he said.

“In the mind of the Isis recruit, he’s the next James Bond right? Have you seen some of those Isis propaganda videos, they are cut like action movies. Where is the counter narrative? Where are we telling these kids they can be heroes in our stories, that they valued?”

He's basically saying what people have been saying for ages: If you don't let people participate in society, they are going to turn away from that society.
    I read what he said. I didn't agree with it when I posted.

When people feel underrepresented, they lash out. They protest. They work towards gaining that recognition. Terrorism isn't that, and I think it's a stretch to connect lack of diversity in media to ISIS.

Deleted
    lack of a functioning brain are also very high on the list for Isis applications

Absolutely absurd.

I sort of expected absolute clickbait. Actually got a serious claim. Not sure which is more sad. Probably the latter since I agree with the underlying problem he talks about, but the guy felt the need to turn it up to 18, way beyond the border or the retard zone.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

It's hard to not see it as a bit of a racket, eh? Nice place you got here. Wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to it. Might need some diversity though. If it's not diverse enough, might have something bad happen.

Sometimes I envy Iceland.

It's one of the symptoms though.
    And pushing diversity in TV and movies will definitely combat radicalism.

PS. With more diversity they don't mean type-casting them all as terrorists.
    Uh, no.

There's not a great deal of thais in american media but I'm not being radicalized into something by the apparent lack of them nor are any of my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    It's really not. Not having people with the same Religion as you on TV isn't the same as not letting them participate in society.

"Holy shit that kid on TV believes in Allah too! I guess i won't blow up this building now!" Yeah, no. That's not how that works. If we had to represent all of the arbitrary nonsense that people believe in to keep them from radicalizing we wouldn't be able to have a society at all.
    Just watch out as those pastafarians currently getting radicalized prove you wrong eventually.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Hey look yet another actor who opens their mouth about politics and word diarrhea comes out.

News @ 11

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Just watch out as those pastafarians currently getting radicalized prove you wrong eventually.
    I'm amazed no one has mentioned atheists yet.

Some polls indicate maybe 20% of the US population, and I'm not really sure what their representation is on TV (can't be arsed to watch the thing), but you'd expect there to be some kind of atheist terrorism problem going on in the US, considering how many GOP are trying to instate religion into government, school, etc...

Even at that, I'm sure there's lots of anti-christian culture in the media, so perhaps we should stop making fun of them (and the mormons especially) or else they'll bomb us.

- - - Updated - - -

It's one of the symptoms though.
    And pushing diversity in TV and movies will definitely combat radicalism.

PS. With more diversity they don't mean type-casting them all as terrorists.
    When the option is being sold to me as either put more Muslims in TV (in countries where they are such an insignificant minority) or be bombed, maybe that type-cast is something you yourself are pushing. If they can't identify with non-Muslim characters, then they're probably racist and xenophobic as well.

Your point being in that ramble?
    It's really basic logic: If you exclude people from society, people will radicalise.
    Not sure where I was rambling. Two fairly straightforward points. You should stand against racism and you should stand against terrorist threats in order to get on TV.
    They're not being excluded.
    Hell, even some men start to rant there's a war against men just because people talk about a female quota on jobs.
    And this is analogous to terrorism, in your view?