Page 50 of 93 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    does the master sword break? im fine with breaking weapons as long as that one doesnt break
    It "runs out of energy" and is broken for a while, but recharges itself eventually

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good game don't get me wrong, but it feels overhyped and not really worth the perfect scores/reviews it is getting. I'd give it at most a 7.5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    far superior to Witcher 3
    I'm 19 hours in and haven't seen / doubt I will ever see anything come close to the bloody baron or hearts of stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I'm 19 hours in and haven't seen / doubt I will ever see anything come close to the bloody baron or hearts of stone.
    I doubt u will ever see an open world RPG game with such detail for the story, well except Cyberpunk 2077 which is the same developer .

No game is perfect, but for me story in RPG is superior over exploration which was solid in W3 anyways.

You simply can not focus 100% on all aspects equally. So some games have better exploration, some have better combat and some have better story. Its very subjective what is preferable for an individual person. I think Zelda is a very very good game, but nowhere near perfect and most of the time the scores are combination of nostaligia and actually a very fun game. Even W3 didnt deserve full 10/10 points objectively.
    Last edited by Nehezbegar; 2017-03-06 at 05:47 AM.

While The Witcher 3 is great, let's face it, most of the time you're just going to markers on your map and getting very rigid rewards (xp, gear). With BotW, exploration is truly rewarding. Climbing a mountain might not only lead to a sidequest, that sidequest might give you a reward that changes how the whole game is played and how you approach exploration and/or combat. I generally can't stand open world RPGs because they feel like watered down MMOs with lifeless, boring worlds and formulaic progression. Breath of the Wild really fixes that and makes the world feel alive and the adventure exciting.
    The kool aid.

You're drinking it.

Side content and exploration was actually MORE rewarding in W3 then in BoTW.

I could very well end up liking BoTW more then W3 when it's all said and done but it won't be because of any of this bs you're trying to spew. It would be simply because the gameplay is more fun. The side content in the W3 is hands down the best side content in any game ever, and BoTW is not even sniffing it.

While The Witcher 3 is great, let's face it, most of the time you're just going to markers on your map and getting very rigid rewards (xp, gear). With BotW, exploration is truly rewarding. Climbing a mountain might not only lead to a sidequest, that sidequest might give you a reward that changes how the whole game is played and how you approach exploration and/or combat. I generally can't stand open world RPGs because they feel like watered down MMOs with lifeless, boring worlds and formulaic progression. Breath of the Wild really fixes that and makes the world feel alive and the adventure exciting.
    I'm not sure what game you were playing, but random sidequests don't change the way the game is played, at best they might unlock a shrine (there are over 100, nothing special) or give a weapon that will break after a few enemies. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game, I'm probably 75% of the way through but the sidequests are mostly skippable without any meaningful rewards.

The weapons breaking shit got old REALLY fast. When monsters feel threatening because you're too afraid to use your weapons on them rather than fight, that's terrible design IMO. Everything else in this game is pretty amazing, but weapons and shields breaking and you being able to flat out LOSE a weapon if you get hit by an enemy near a cliff or water that's deep is stupid.

As I said though the rest is amazing.

Deleted
    Yes who wants a lived in world that feels so alive that you would swear people actually lived in them vs a huge map with next to no people in it even in major towns the new zelda game looks and feels empty.

How are the sidequest rewards gone change the way you play? explain please all the weapons in the game break(even when making no sense) or have a CD (master sword bois) are you talking about upgrading stuff like upgrading stasis to effect mobs? You mean grinding mobs for items over and over to hand in for an upgrade? You know like those watered down MMO´s you speak of.

Speaking of sidequests effecting the game you can do a sidequest for Keira Metz in Witcher 3 which either ends with you killing her or convincing her to go to Kaer Morhen where she helps you in the fight you have vs the wild hunt and hell she even ends up in a relationship with Lambert, and guess what? If you killed her none of this happens and note the battle in Kaer Morhen is on of the biggest points of the entire story. All of this from a simple sidequest you could have actually ignored doing all together or its effects not even felt at all if you killed her(apart from killing her that is)

The thing is that Nintendo´s games have always had a weak story in them and looking around they saw a need to "catch" up which shows alot in the new game with them giving everyone apart form Link voice actors, dosent change how poor the story is in the game is compared to a game like witcher based on actual books written by a real author.

Please botw has fucking UBISOFT TOWERS IN IT ARE YOU JOKING? THIS IS A GREAT OPEN WORLD GAME? Sorry but when you copy Ubisoft you automatically get -3 points out of 10 possible on that alone.

Sorry but botw is no ocarina of time that SET the standard for games for deckades(in terms of design) to come hell its effects are felt TODAY in Nintendo´s crazed obsession to add gimmicky stuff (weapons that break in this games case) and just trying to copy everything else that they can see working in any other open world RPG game they ended up with a game that while not bad has many flaws in facts all of this copying makes this newest installment feel like the "least" Zelda game so far, hell lets ignore copied game mechanics which suck(ubisoft towers) and go with the when this takes place? were in the fucking timeline does this thing fit? Only thing we know is that it takes place after OoT but when? how long after it?

The thing is Witcher 3 set the new standard for open world RPG´s to the point that devs making the new FFX were actually made to play it to get ideas on making the new FFX game.
    Last edited by mmoc27711a7cd8; 2017-03-06 at 06:45 AM.

Deleted
    I don't want to spoil too much but I will say that there are several sidequests I have completed that have literally changed the way I play the game. One example without ruining much is the climbing gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Man a lot of hate for BotW lol. Just thankful the critics agree: Breath of the Wild is the best open world RPG on the market. 98 on MetaCritic.
    The climbing gear makes you climb faster it does not reduce the amount of stamina you consume doing it meaning you spend the same amount to climb 1 meter as you did before.

Also did you use METACRITIC to measure success of a game? really? with more legit places or even methods out there is what you use? the lowest common denominator?

So I've beaten the main story (all 4 dungeons, final boss, 50~ shrines as of right now, 33 sidequests, all map revealed and most of it explored) and honestly, it's a good game, but it's not that great overall.

Some slight spoilers, but not much. These are what are getting to me the most.

The story was REALLLY weak. I didn't come in expecting a great story, but it was bad. It felt like a rough draft outline of a story at best. I feel absolutely no attachment to any character, nor do I feel any reason to even be fighting. It wasn't good.

The world, while nice looking and large, is very very empty. There are zero large towns or settlements, and the small ones are all bland and lacking. To go with this, the actual world has little to do in it.

The mob diversity is pretty much non-existent, and I hate that. I had fought every type of enemy within the first hour (outside of yiga brutes) and they are pretty boring at this point. The only enemy I am remotely afraid of and I don't either skip or kill before they react are yiga brutes.

Weapons break too quickly. I get a cool 60 dmg battleaxe of awesomeness, it breaks a quarter through a mobs hp. That's dumb. If weapon durability was 50% higher, and the unique weapons took less to repair (hello 2k to repair spear), then I would have no problem. But when I spend 4 weapons on 1 mob I just don't have fun.

The game is fun, and I'm enjoying running around finishing up the sidequests I skipped, but it's just another generic rpg that skipped a lot of features it could have benefited from (like crafting).

Sidenote, does anyone know how much the berserker gear actually gives in attack power? Or how much you gain from an attack potion? It's really vague and I can't see a difference.
    Last edited by Keltas; 2017-03-06 at 07:58 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why? It's an open world RPG that's far superior to Witcher 3 and Skyrim, both of which were also very well received.
    Well that's the thing, it isn't superior to either of those games. At all.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiako View Post
    Also did you use METACRITIC to measure success of a game?
    No. They simply provided the consensus review as a reflection of how people perceive it against other open world RPGs. You have been blinded by your confirmation bias. Witcher 3 is a lovely game, but the focus is narrative and lore. Nothing in the game changes what you are doing, comes as a big surprise, and generally you go from map marker to map marker. It can be immersive, but that's not really what that poster was talking about at all.

That you even have to start getting hipster about metacritic shows you can't discuss this rationally. That said, I don't know that I can really discuss which of any of these games are 'better'. For me they all had a different target and exemplified what they were doing to the nth degree.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Zelda/Nintendo Fanboys... all Mario/Zelda Games get good reviews, even if they are complete garbage!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirilla View Post
    Zelda/Nintendo Fanboys... all Mario/Zelda Games get good reviews, even if they are complete garbage!
    Except someone already posted where that's not really true. They don't get 'bad' reviews, because 80's aren't bad. But they do get reviews based on the game. Again, confirmation bias.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Cirilla View Post
    The opposite seems to be true where people are all set to hate on Mario/Zelda games that get the praise it deserves.

A 7.5 user score on reddit... What BS, people that hate on popular things as well as the little sony/nintnedo fight going on (Horizon fans and Zelda fans)

Having put nearly 30+ hours into the game already, I can say it is one of my favorite rpgs of all time, the amount of hate it is getting from individuals is hilarious. Don't know what they were expecting.

In my experience and my opinion, this easily takes a steaming shit all over Skyrim, which I enjoyed, but never saw what made it such a classic.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Solid game. I can tell Nintendo put a little extra effort in for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiako View Post
    The climbing gear makes you climb faster it does not reduce the amount of stamina you consume doing it meaning you spend the same amount to climb 1 meter as you did before.

Also did you use METACRITIC to measure success of a game? really? with more legit places or even methods out there is what you use? the lowest common denominator?
    Metacritic critic reviews is a decent compilation of professional reviews, but, open critic, or any "review roundup" will show you nothing but praise.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

This game had so much potential, except your fucking weapons break all the fucking time. It totally takes the fun out of questing. This was probably a shit mechanic put in by the developers to lengthen the game, and its an absolute turn off.

This game could have been fucking great, it really could, but its no Witcher 3.

I already went back to Overwatch.

What makes me laugh is i watched giantwaffle beat the game yesterday, the last boss and forms of Ganon were such a joke the game is only as memorable as the last boss. There was nothing memorable about it. Hell you get a free win on the last phase of the boss, not to mention the fight phase of the boss literally gets half of his hp taken away not by link. The boss is a joke for anyone that can dodge, waffle made it looks so hard because hes shit at games.