Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    this just in, binging on most activities for 16hrs at a time is bad for you, EVEN sleep.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a dipshit, if my sister said we were going out for pizza, I'd have that shit turned off instantly!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Teenage can easily game for 16 hours.

I am more worry if a 70 year old man plays 16 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was 15 my friends and I played WoW for 10-15 hours a day as well. We were kids and instead of going out and inevitably getting in trouble (my sister was drinking and partying by 14) we stayed in and hung out online. Fast forward to now, I'm 23 and have a 3.8 GPA studying Law and work a full time warehouse job.

sigh, I hate articles like this, while it offers a glimpse it doesn't give full context which is required when talking about family matters. shelving that part these parents seem unable to assert their authority, or really had no standing as authority figures to begin with.

the bullies did nothing wrong.

The Canadian Pediatric Society discourages “screen-based activities” — TV, Internet, video games and gaming devices — for children under 2, and suggests a limit of one to two hours a day for older children.
    My parents limited me to an hour a day on video games when I was a kid. Now look at me.

Can't recommend this strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    you can't keep your kids under lock and key forever

they might have been born yesterday when they came out of their mother's vagina, but as time goes on they become stronger and much more capable of making their own decisions. if you're dealing with someone who isn't going to give something up just because you said so and you've tried to force them in a particular direction, they may fight back.

As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water... but you can't force it to drink.
    The parents are to blame. They could have easily, took the video games or limited his game time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure 16 hour anything binges will fuck up other aspects of your life.

You can get addicted to anything. It's not about the thing it's about the person. Some people have addictive personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Try a 16 hour meth binge and get back to me about damaging addictions.

People with mental health issues become obsessed about an activity. It happens with the gym, work, cars etc. Here it happened with video games.
    Correlation is not causation...games like World of Warcraft can be addicting due to its intrinsic reward system. Also it takes forever to get shit done, which likely influences a player's perception of time passing while in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    This is nothing new, welcome to 2 decades ago.
    This wasn't happening in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Correlation is not causation...games like World of Warcraft can be addicting due to its intrinsic reward system. Also it takes forever to get shit done, which likely influences a player's perception of time passing while in game.
    And you think gaining mass or boosting bhp aren't rewards?

It's all about the dopamine. If you're getting that dopamine from the activity it doesn't matter what activity it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Addiction has been a thing as long as humans have walked the earth. Yes it was happening in 1996.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    you can't keep your kids under lock and key forever

they might have been born yesterday when they came out of their mother's vagina, but as time goes on they become stronger and much more capable of making their own decisions. if you're dealing with someone who isn't going to give something up just because you said so and you've tried to force them in a particular direction, they may fight back.

As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water... but you can't force it to drink.
    My dad could. USMC 1969-1974.

You don't f with a pissed off Marine and expect to get away with it. One of his favorite lines: " You little motherfckr, you will NOT eat groceries that I pay for and think you can disobey me. I will crush your fcking soul if you try."

It didn't take many beatings to get the message. Until I was out of the house, the Gunnery Sergeant was God.

Fear (applied with abandon) can break any amount of stubbornness.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    And you think gaining mass or boosting bhp aren't rewards?

It's all about the dopamine. If you're getting that dopamine from the activity it doesn't matter what activity it is.
    Sure. You can get addicted to anything. But, the problem of internet/gaming addiction is significant enough that countries like Japan considers it a distinct disorder, and is a "condition for further study" here in the US. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...order-in-dsm-5

People don't like to talk about gaming/internet addiction but it is certainly a real thing.

Send in the mounties! We must stop video game binges!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    ...beg to differ. I was quite heavily attached to gaming by 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by -MDH- View Post
    Shit parents for letting the kid get hooked.
    Ironies... my parents just threw me outside and I made up my own games.

In hindsight, these days that would be child abuse or something.

In other words, damned if you let them run, damned if you keep them home.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    ...beg to differ. I was quite heavily attached to gaming by 1996.
    Wasn't as much of an issue if you look at the numbers.