Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

What is Unholy/necromancy?

What is its source?

How would it fare against arcane, fel.

Unholy death knight seemed to be described as the counter parts of paladin who use the light but we know the counterpart of the light is the void which dk's don't primarily seem to use.

I guess it could be described as soul magic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably comes from the realm of Decay/Death, which represents the opposing power to Nature/Life. In the same way that Arcane/Order is the counter to Fel/Disorder. I think different powers can all have agency over souls, and Decay/Death is one of them.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Lich King is powered by the Void. So... Void magic I guess.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    The Lich King is powered by the Void. So... Void magic I guess.
    Where did it ever say he was?
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Necromancy is a specific subset of Shadow magic, and is derived from the Void. Depending on amplitude all the forces of magical energy in the Warcraft universe are pretty evenly matched with one another - so it becomes less a matter of the essence used and more a matter of the user's relative skill or their inherent capability.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Where did it ever say he was?
    Ner'Zhul was a Void user, The opposite of the Light is the Void, He could travel through the Shadow Realm, he Chilled out around Yogg. Nearly everything about the Lich King points him to being Void-Powered.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ner'Zhul was a Void user, The opposite of the Light is the Void, He could travel through the Shadow Realm, he Chilled out around Yogg. Nearly everything about the Lich King points him to being Void-Powered.
    Right and wrong.

Before revelations of Warcraft Chronicle Volume 2, AU Ner'zhul and AU Shadowmoon clan were heavily into Void stuffs.

And even after WoD (but before Legion) we did not that the Void was it's own separate entity apart from Necromancy/Decay.

Ner'zhul as he was in the MU going from orc -> spectral spirit -> Lich King has no inclinations towards Void magic. With the power/magic chart given to us from the first WC Chronicle, Decay/Necromancy is separate from Void (Shadow) but on the alignment, is sitting RIGHT next to it.

Ner'zhul the Lich King, Arthas/Ner'zhul, and just Arthas the Lich King did not draw upon the Void for their power. Although in game we are limited to so many types of damage/spells/abilities (Fire, Ice, Nature, Shadow, Holy, Physical) and Shadow damage/spells/abilities are the typical choices for such things themed around Decay/Necromancy...

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    that's not confirmation, that's called a opinion.

Decay/undeath is its own sphere as per chronicle.
    Last edited by Friendlyimmolation; 2017-03-09 at 01:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Is the Unholy Light (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=58153 ) a form of manifested light, changed by the wielder? Just like Elune's moonlight and the Light of An'she?
    "Unholy light" is really just shadow/void magic, so that's kinda a weird ability kit there. (DaveKosak)
    Void can be used in necromancy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    that's not confirmation, that's called a opinion.

Decay/undeath is its own sphere as per chronicle.
    Arthas showed Powers beyond just Undeath and Decay though once he joined with Ner'Zhul and became the Lich King.

I'd argue Arthas was Decay/Undeath in his Deathknight Form, the Ner'Zhul/Lich King was more Void and the combination of the 2 was a hybrid of Both.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a hell of a good time if you want to go target-shooting. Raise a few ghouls, lob some Death Coils at them until stress is relieved, repeat as necessary.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Is the Unholy Light (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=58153 ) a form of manifested light, changed by the wielder? Just like Elune's moonlight and the Light of An'she?
    "Unholy light" is really just shadow/void magic, so that's kinda a weird ability kit there. (DaveKosak)
    Void can be used in necromancy.
    Yeah this is what I was talking about. Since the Ashbringer was Holy/Light and was the Antithesis to Arthas and Chronicle has them as opposing forces I would say Unholy Magics is more akin to Void based magic than an opposite to Nature.

Who gives a fuck about what the Chronicle establishes? It claims Hakkar is a spirit but then later on states that Hakkar has a spirit. A spirit has a spirit LOLS?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    Who gives a fuck about what the Chronicle establishes? It claims Hakkar is a spirit but then later on states that Hakkar has a spirit. A spirit has a spirit LOLS?
    because he is and does? That's been established in game since forever. He is a Loa Spirit (basically a Troll God) in Corporeal Form and also has a Spirit when he dies. Spirit is one of those multi-use Words within Warcraft Lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that there are multiple ways of achieving Necromancy. Say, for instance, Troll Voodoo, which is based in Nature magic. Then you have instances of fel power raising the dead in the hands of the Dreadlords, the Lich King using corrupted Val'Kyr, beings of Light made Shadow, to make his minions, and even ARCANE necromancy where Medivh creates Nightbane.

It's a complicated thing, because the problem with the game structure is for ease and whatnot it's pigeon holed a lot of the types of magic.

Lich King to me is a poor example because I don't think he just dabbled in one type or school of magic. He had several sources from himself training in the Light as Paladin, Frostmourne, Ner'zhul and maybe more from his conquests. To me clearly, as a cunning bastard as he was and any cunning bastard wouldn't just stick to one area to further an agenda even if one was the most powerful because in other situations it isn't.
    I don't know if it is still canon but I'm sure Arthas froze the ocean or something Frost related to get to the Sunwell which isn't really Shadow/Void, etc. which is emphasising my point, use everything you got to get to your goal.

The problem with Blizzard is they enjoy using a word in different carnations to explain. For spirit you have as in the afterlife kind, the element also now, possessing a spirit and probably more contexts. I would take it that it has multiple ways and changes according to the more prominent characters of lore.

15+ Year Old Account

From Chronicle Vol. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    From Chronicle Vol. 1.
    You're seriously tempting me to own a copy rather than borrowing one...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post

From Chronicle Vol. 1.
    Why are the Titans closer to Shadow than the Burning Legion lol?

Those two need to swap places.

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Why are the Titans closer to Shadow than the Burning Legion lol?

Those two need to swap places.
    Yeah that didnt really make sense to me either, i did wonder if the positions are supposed to have relevance or not considering light is right next to fel, which just seems flat out wrong