Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Mutant registration act.

So theoretically if mutations such as the ones in the X-men comics started to happen irl. Would you support a mutant registration act? Why or why not?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

No. Having the government track people exclusively because of something literally part of their DNA is well beyond anything I could support.

If they start committing crimes, maybe. Just for being the way they are? No.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

That is as retarded as a skin color registration act. It would never be accepted because there would be groups like blm rioting over even the idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's one of the worst ideas ever. No. Never. AS a member of a regularly discriminated group even without a registration act, I wholeheartedly repudiate any concept of a registry for any attribute of human life.

In terms of how it was presented in X-men ? Nah. I wouldn't feel threatened.

But if it was presented as a potential health concern, than yeah... I think that could be valid.

15+ Year Old Account
    No. Getting a registry of a certain subtype of individuals has never really ended well for said type of individuals. Especially when said group of people are a minority.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

I'm inclined to say that there needs to be some level of monitoring. Think of it like smoking. It has the potential to harm others, so it's restricted to some degree. Your rights aren't more important than everybody else's right to safety. It's a similar theory to gun control, so I imagine that pro gun people on here won't agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    AS a member of a regularly discriminated group even without a registration act, I wholeheartedly repudiate any concept of a registry for any attribute of human life.
    You're not the only white male who feels this way. Unfortunately I can't relate, but I stand by you in your cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely not.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    You're not the only white male who feels this way. Unfortunately I can't relate, but I stand by you in your cause.
    *sigh* Not my skin color. I'm gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    A superhero one would make some sense because they're rare, a Mutant one however, would be strange because you'll continue to see aa increase in how many people need to get registered. When Mutants out number humans, would they have to register? If a particular Mutant committed a crime, I'd imagine it'd be extremely easy to tell, since most mutations don't leave a whole lot of room for subtlety.

Oh, hey man great news nobody even cares about that now. In fact, it's as boring as liking the color yellow.

I still stand by you as you struggle to overcome the increasing challenges of being a white male, in any case. /\

Easy to "no" when there is no Brotherhood of Mutants out there killing Homosapians simply for being human.

I see people saying "NO" who have called for a gun registry, but a registry for people who could say turn playing cards into bombs at will, not needed?

It would be messy and less than ideal but I think it would be a necessity.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    but a registry for people who could say turn playing cards into bombs at will, not needed?
    Surely you can trust Gambit, mon cheri.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    Oh, hey man great news nobody even cares about that now. In fact, it's as boring as liking the color yellow.

I still stand by you as you struggle to overcome the increasing challenges of being a white male, in any case. /\
    As a white male myself, at this point in time I feel like the most oppressed group in history ever. Us white males have it worse than slaves ever did.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    That's one of the worst ideas ever. No. Never. AS a member of a regularly discriminated group even without a registration act, I wholeheartedly repudiate any concept of a registry for any attribute of human life.
    As much as I'd like to say no (because Extraordinary X-Men and Old Man Logan comics YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY), I must disagree.

Darsithis, your difference is who you are attracted to. Honestly who cares? Do what you want.

A hypothetical MRA involves situtations like a teenager who could erase their parent's minds if they were grounded, guys who could levitate sports stadiums and drop them on the White House, a man with mind control who could rape tons of women and make them think they wanted to, and so on. That's a bit of a different issue.

In X-Men 2, Iceman's mom says something about the "mutant problem." Wolverine then says " What mutant problem?"

My reply would have been " Don't be obtuse. You don't think a criminal who can walk through walls, a pissed-off teenager who can control minds, or etc just might, maybe constitute a problem? They can't be disarmed like someone with a gun or knife."
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

The comics have always portrayed this sort of thing like gun confiscation, where the very idea ends up sparking the exact kind of violence and unrest that the law is intended to prevent, and that does seem to have some truth to it.

What if they offered tax incentive? You're at much higher risk of discrimination or a hate crime, so the government wants to give you a huge tax credit. Do you register officially with the IRS?

Knock it off, dude. I'm gay and I'm Middle Eastern. Literally no one oppresses us. I dunno wtf you're talking about. This isn't the 1960s.

Yes, absolutely. There can be no other rational solution or outcome. Non-mutants might even have to exterminate mutants.

If being asked under the pretense of the type of mutations in Marvel comics- there is no possible way the public (non-mutant) could ensure their safety without the registration and containment of mutants.

Some dude's glasses fall off and an apartment building gets demolished? Some chick has a nightmare and puts her entire block into a coma? Or a kid is running to catch the bus and turns into a fucking nuclear bomb spontaneously?

There is simply no way mutants (or superpowers for that matter) work alongside actual humans. It only works in comic books because the writers conceit there are 'good guys' who just want to do 'good' and accidents are typically minimal or among each other mutants (super people).

If someone like Magneto wanted to turn a sky scrapper inside out- we'd have to rely on Mags not having a bad day or holding alternative views.

Human society literally could never function with the existence of any non-humans that were self-aware living weapons of mass destruction through no cause other than being alive.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-03-10 at 04:28 AM.