Poll: Will you let your kids play wow?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    If i ever had kids they'd be raised on mine and my GFs favorite passtime, so yes, WoW and other games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinexve View Post
    I might casually bring it up in conversation like "when I was nine years old I started playing WoW".
    Up to them really.
    thats the best way to make sure they dont want to play it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I wonder if my kids will ever want to play and then I'll show them my account and they will be proud of their dad

Quote Originally Posted by taelon View Post
    thats the best way to make sure they dont want to play it :P
    Maybe thats for the best? xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering I won't get kids, no.

But if I did have kids, sure, if WoW is still around at that time. Don't see why I would stop them playing a game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    Nothing weird about it, my generation was the first generation of gamers. Being a parent hasn't changed that. But in answer to your question, my daughter enjoys messing around in the starting areas, levels to about 20 or so and gets bored. That being said, I am just fine with her having little interest in an online game because I much prefer for her to have a real social life than a virtual one.
    I'm kinda curious to what generation you belong to then, thinking you're the first generation of gamers and all

as a parent, you can't decide what your teenager child does anymore. You can inform them and orient them towards what you believe to be wise paths, but trying to dictate their lives either leads to absolute rebellion (opposite results of what you intended) or if your child was born with the "right" personality, he will grow to be an unquestioning slave first to you, then his/her friends and ultimately his/her bf/gf.
    Of course, personality development is not so black and white but you can see this kind of recurring patterns if you inquire about people's backgrounds.

So I would certainly encourage my child to play wow if he/she showed interest towards it, but I wouldn't prohibit them from doing stuff such as drugs and having sex. I would strongly discourage them from the former and inform them about the how-tos, risks and such about the later and encourage them to do so protected.

Sorry for the partial digression from the topic, I get very stingy when people talk about their teenagers and they seem to believe that prohibition is in any way productive
    Last edited by zlygork; 2017-03-12 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    Again I say.. fucking passion for fantasy isnt something "good" you pass onto your kids... Lmao.
    Really? Because it's precisely that passion, that is my driving force to success. It is what separates me from the other people around me and also what makes people stick to me. It changed my view on life and right now it is my reason for my existence. Call me crazy, call me sick, I don't care about people's opinion. I've been in too many situations where I gave up on something under the pressure from society and later it turns out society was wrong and I shouldn't have given up. And there have been plenty enough situations where I sticked to what I believed was right and I was indeed right. Every. Single. Time.

Life is pointless. Just like a game. In both life and games you just strive to survive. To win. And in the end, it all doesn't matter. The goal in games is obviously to have fun. Enjoy yourself. Spend your time as best as possible. Your happiness might come under different shapes - winning, helping others win, building up your fortress, helping those in need, overcoming obstacles, defeating an enemy, getting revenge. And it is the same in life. Everyone has different things that make them happy. And everyone MUST strive for those things. If you don't live a happy, satisfied life, then there is no point in living in the first place. Carving your name in history might be something that makes you happy/satisfied, but it isn't what everyone wants. I don't want to be remembered in the future, when I am already long gone. I want to matter now. Not for the world - I don't care about fame, but for the people close to me. And for the other people like me who were lost and needed someone or something. My dream is to pass on my passion for life. Not just games. But games are a part of it. In fact, they are the closest thing to it. They are one of the best lessons you can learn/experience before stepping into "real life". They develop the brain, your cognitive skills, etc, they develop social skills (disagree with me I dare you, I'm a living example that they do) even outside of the virtual world, they are a form of art that can develop your sense for it and inspire you to create your own work of art, they can teach you valuable moral lessons like they taught me. I believe that aside from personally sharing my life's story and experiences with people, the best way to pass on my passion for life is to let people walk the same path as me - games and anime. Only that for my kids, I will be there to guide them, so that they get even more out of it.

You are free to go on with the stupid "games are bad" stereotypes but I am ready to tear any argument of yours down with examples from my own life and experience.
    Last edited by Shinrael; 2017-03-13 at 08:38 AM.

Deleted
    My kids would have been 16-23 now, if I ever had them, and yes, they'd be farming my gold and legendaries right now. How can anyone justify playing the game and not letting their children do the same? Obviously only from the appropriate age (12+, right?) and with supervision at first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    (whole lot of awesomeness)
    You are awesome! I feel the same way about life and it's meaning. Also, how can anyone say passing on a passion for fantasy is not good? I can't even begin to give all the reasons why it IS good

Just wanted you to know that (although you already do, I'm sure).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kejer View Post
    I understand most players are teenagers but this game is 13 years old now. Consider there are 2-3 more expansions left in wow (4-6 more years). You can have teenager kids approaching wow playing age.
    As a parent, will you let your kids play wow?

edit:
    If there are parent players (weird combination tbh) browsing this thread, are your kids showing any interests in wow? Bliz may be doing everything they can to advertising hearthstone to new generation but it should know wow's like cigarettes, most of us are attached for life!
    I went ahead and did a poll for you to prove my point.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...active-account

I see people talk about the "kids" all the time. Its usually in a negative connotation, and they are usually blaming the "kids" for "x" feature they don't like, or for sub decline, or ruining the game.

As I said in my initial response I work with college kids 18-24, and my wife works with high school kids 14-18. It is our experience, that they simply aren't playing the game. Just because you or I started playing in high school... doesn't mean the current generation is interested at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    My kids would have been 16-23 now, if I ever had them, and yes, they'd be farming my gold and legendaries right now. How can anyone justify playing the game and not letting their children do the same? Obviously only from the appropriate age (12+, right?) and with supervision at first.

- - - Updated - - -

You are awesome! I feel the same way about life and it's meaning. Also, how can anyone say passing on a passion for fantasy is not good? I can't even begin to give all the reasons why it IS good

Just wanted you to know that (although you already do, I'm sure).
    Thank you, I appreciate it.
    Yep, passion in general is a good thing. Addiction isn't, but they are completely different things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush2803 View Post
    I'm kinda curious to what generation you belong to then, thinking you're the first generation of gamers and all
    Probably same as mine. The generation that was born in the early 70s - grew up with first home computers (and games) in the 80s. Went to Uni and started playing (programming) MUDs in the early 90s. And then eventually, moved on to graphical MMOs and "modern", PC-games as they surfaced.

There wasn't much offered in the world of computer gaming before the 80s. Of course "gamers" as such have existed long before, but I think the context was probably "computer gamer".
    Last edited by mmoc0e47cbaaf5; 2017-03-13 at 06:50 PM.

Don't want to bring kids into this fucked up world, so no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Because it's precisely that passion, that is my driving force to success. It is what separates me from the other people around me and also what makes people stick to me. It changed my view on life and right now it is my reason for my existence. Call me crazy, call me sick, I don't care about people's opinion. I've been in too many situations where I gave up on something under the pressure from society and later it turns out society was wrong and I shouldn't have given up. And there have been plenty enough situations where I sticked to what I believed was right and I was indeed right. Every. Single. Time.

Life is pointless. Just like a game. In both life and games you just strive to survive. To win. And in the end, it all doesn't matter. The goal in games is obviously to have fun. Enjoy yourself. Spend your time as best as possible. Your happiness might come under different shapes - winning, helping others win, building up your fortress, helping those in need, overcoming obstacles, defeating an enemy, getting revenge. And it is the same in life. Everyone has different things that make them happy. And everyone MUST strive for those things. If you don't live a happy, satisfied life, then there is no point in living in the first place. Carving your name in history might be something that makes you happy/satisfied, but it isn't what everyone wants. I don't want to be remembered in the future, when I am already long gone. I want to matter now. Not for the world - I don't care about fame, but for the people close to me. And for the other people like me who were lost and needed someone or something. My dream is to pass on my passion for life. Not just games. But games are a part of it. In fact, they are the closest thing to it. They are one of the best lessons you can learn/experience before stepping into "real life". They develop the brain, your cognitive skills, etc, they develop social skills (disagree with me I dare you, I'm a living example that they do) even outside of the virtual world, they are a form of art that can develop your sense for it and inspire you to create your own work of art, they can teach you valuable moral lessons like they taught me. I believe that aside from personally sharing my life's story and experiences with people, the best way to pass on my passion for life is to let people walk the same path as me - games and anime. Only that for my kids, I will be there to guide them, so that they get even more out of it.

You are free to go on with the stupid "games are bad" stereotypes but I am ready to tear any argument of yours down with examples from my own life and experience.
    lmao. Youre passion for fake shit is your driving force to success? Do you even make 6 figures? Good grief, give it a rest.

Wait, where's the "I am the one who'll be playing WoW since I wasn't dumb enough to have kids" option?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kejer View Post
    I understand most players are teenagers but this game is 13 years old now. Consider there are 2-3 more expansions left in wow (4-6 more years). You can have teenager kids approaching wow playing age.
    As a parent, will you let your kids play wow?

edit:
    If there are parent players (weird combination tbh) browsing this thread, are your kids showing any interests in wow? Bliz may be doing everything they can to advertising hearthstone to new generation but it should know wow's like cigarettes, most of us are attached for life!

Most players teenagers? Didn't someone make a study where they found avarage age of gamers are 35 or something.

Anyway, I would never let my kids play online games.

lmao. Youre passion for fake shit is your driving force to success? Do you even make 6 figures? Good grief, give it a rest.
    Ran out of supposedly logical arguments so you just resort to trying to provoke me? Explain "passion for fake shit"? You are saying life is fake? That's a completely different topic, which has nothing to do with what I am talking about. Or are you saying games are fake? I said my passion is for life in its entirety, not just games, but we already saw that reading comprehension isn't within your capabilities, so going to answer that statement too. Games are as real as they get. You can play them, you can lose in them, you can win, you can chat with other players, you can compete with them, you can get frustrated and break a keyboard or two (thankfully, I have never done something like that). Your mother could come into your room and start screaming at you because you've been playing games all day. Oh, hell yes I've been there, done that ^^ and the fact I still remember my mother's scary shouting is yet another proof that games are real. And just to further strengthen my point - my mother used to hate games and we used to have fights because of them every day for 8 years. She now fully supports my passion for anime and games. I just proved to her that they weren't the problem and also fixed the actual problem.

No, I don't make 6 figures and don't ever plan to. Is money the only form of success that you recognize? I told you already, people have different things that make them happy and satisfied, different goals in life. Mine isn't fame or money. My dream is to pass on my passion for life and one of the methods I am going to use for that purpose is creating my own world in the form of a game (or an anime). Aye, I aspire to be a game developer. Now, there are still atleast 3 years before I can even start thinking about that, because I first want to graduate Japanology (which so far has been going indredibly well), which is just the first step towards my dream. And it's going successfully precisely thanks to games and anime. They gave me the necessary motivation.

Any other stupid questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I imagine it's not there because that's an opinion and polls really shouldn't be personal, as it can cause people not to vote because they don't agree with the options given.
    Ah, but the OP themselves already injected an opinion into the poll and thread. It says "will you" let your kids. That assumes that everybody wants and will have kids. As has been seen in this thread, there's a rather large segment of the player base left out because they clearly show no interest in having kids. If they want to answer in the poll, naturally, they will choose "no" and skew the results.

As for my hypothetical option, obviously I wouldn't have somebody call others stupid. Since the OP phrased the question assuming everybody has kids/will have kids, I chose to venture into hyperbole to ask why there's no third option up there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ran out of supposedly logical arguments so you just resort to trying to provoke me? Explain "passion for fake shit"? You are saying life is fake? That's a completely different topic, which has nothing to do with what I am talking about. Or are you saying games are fake? I said my passion is for life in its entirety, not just games, but we already saw that reading comprehension isn't within your capabilities, so going to answer that statement too. Games are as real as they get. You can play them, you can lose in them, you can win, you can chat with other players, you can compete with them, you can get frustrated and break a keyboard or two (thankfully, I have never done something like that). Your mother could come into your room and start screaming at you because you've been playing games all day. Oh, hell yes I've been there, done that ^^ and the fact I still remember my mother's scary shouting is yet another proof that games are real. And just to further strengthen my point - my mother used to hate games and we used to have fights because of them every day for 8 years. She now fully supports my passion for anime and games. I just proved to her that they weren't the problem and also fixed the actual problem.

No, I don't make 6 figures and don't ever plan to. Is money the only form of success that you recognize? I told you already, people have different things that make them happy and satisfied, different goals in life. Mine isn't fame or money. My dream is to pass on my passion for life and one of the methods I am going to use for that purpose is creating my own world in the form of a game (or an anime). Aye, I aspire to be a game developer. Now, there are still atleast 3 years before I can even start thinking about that, because I first want to graduate Japanology (which so far has been going indredibly well), which is just the first step towards my dream. And it's going successfully precisely thanks to games and anime. They gave me the necessary motivation.

Any other stupid questions?
    Nope life isnt fake.... just your passion for anime and video games. How about you invoke a passion for work ethic instead. All you've posted is fucking walls of text about stupid shit no ones reading. Games as real as it gets... lmao. Are you 5?

In regards to the bolded... " "I just wanna stay broke forever", Yeah that's that shit no one ever said" - G Eazy... The fact that a mediocre rapper knows you're full of it is funny.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-03-15 at 05:05 AM.

Nope life isnt fake.... 1. just your passion for anime and video games. 2. How about you invoke a passion for work ethic instead. 3. All you've posted is fucking walls of text about stupid shit no ones reading. 4. Games as real as it gets... lmao. Are you 5?

5. In regards to the bolded... " "I just wanna stay broke forever", Yeah that's that shit no one ever said" - G Eazy... The fact that a mediocre rapper knows you're full of it is funny.
    1. And how is my passion for anime and games fake? Brief me.
    2. Uh... For what purpose exactly? Although if I become a game developer, since my job will be related to games, my passion for them will basically become passion for work as well.
    3. Yeah, you ask questions and make statements that require thorough explanations. You can't just attack someone and expect them to sit and watch. And there are people reading them, which is apparent from the guy who quoted me earlier. Is it stupid shit? You are the one throwing baseless accusations and insults at me, not reading my replies to you and then calling it stupid shit/bullshit.
    4. No, I am 20. Yes, they are real. Feel free to prove me wrong.
    5. I am not broke, my university scholarship is just enough to cover my expenses. I don't plan to ever be broke either. But there is a huge difference between being rich and being broke. I don't want to become either. Aside from a computer and a small house, I don't need money for anything else (now if I actually have extra money to spend, I can find what to spend them on, worry not). But a computer and a house is all I need to achieve my dreams.