Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    Deleted

Talking Great news: Employers are allowed to ban burquas!

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-35529455.html

Employers can ban the burka from workplace, European court rules

Employers can bar staff from wearing the headscarf and other religious symbols in the workplace, Europe's top court has ruled.

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) made the decision on the eve of a Dutch election in which Muslim immigration has been a key issue and a bellwether for attitudes to migration and refugee policies across Europe.

The ECJ gave a joined judgment in the cases of two women, in France and Belgium, who were dismissed for refusing to remove headscarves.

The Belgian court had referred the case to the EU's top court for clarification.

"An internal rule of an undertaking which prohibits the visible wearing of any political, philosophical or religious sign does not constitute direct discrimination," the Court said in a statement to the Telegraph.

"However, in the absence of such a rule, the willingness of an employer to take account of the wishes of a customer no longer to have the employer's services provided by a worker wearing an Islamic headscarf cannot be considered an occupational requirement that could rule out discrimination."

10+ Year Old Account
    Incoming triggered sjws crying islamophobia!

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the ruling. In Western society this kind of symbol of oppression should not be tolerated.

Hijab is enough and looks nice, burqa and niqab is abit to much and just screams oppression.

I'm somewhat conflicted on this. I'm not really a fan of enforcing dresscodes, but I suppose private businesses should be given some leeway on the matter. Funny that it says it applies to 'any political, philosophical or religious sign' but the article specifically mentions the headscarf and OP mentions the burka. Which really are different magnitudes of wrong.

I was always in support of banning clothing, religious or otherwise, that covers the face of a person that has to interact with others in the workplace. I never really saw the point of banning something innocuous like the headscarf though. I'm really not that broken up over religious people loosing special privileges. Won't stop them from throwing a fit the next time somebody get fired for 'not complying to workplace standards'. There will be many tears of rage shed over this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you wanna get infracted? Cause that's how you get infracted

Deleted
    Kinda logic, religion in something for yourself at home.
    Nobody cares what you do there but at work you have workspace rules and religion dont have any higher status at that location.

I have to agree here. Burquas are a symbol of oppression, among other things, and should not be tolerated just because people claim 'religion' behind it. Practically any other argument for them.

Muslims shouldn't be given special treatment, this ruling is 100% fair.

Deleted
    This case was especially tricky, since the women started wearing one after a couple of years.

Otherwise, when someone with a headscarf applies, you can just decline their application right away and tell them they aren't a good fit with the rest of the team.

Just never give the real reason when you want to avoid going to court.

so there will be tons of appeal for discrimination because, clearly, cross wont be banned? good for advocates....

Never seen a burqa wearing woman at her workplace but I guess there are cases. Good that the eployers can now fight this madness.

There should be a very small amount of woman who wear burqa and also have a job anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    burqa is a saudi/gulf thing. It's not even tied to religion. more like a cultural thing.

If it's a saudi/gulf thing and not tied to religion, why is it so common in eg. afghanistan?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Hijab is enough and looks nice, burqa and niqab is abit to much and just screams oppression.
    it serves the same function, marking a woman as a lesser being.

how anyone could submit in that way is beyond me. i'd kill people before i'd put one on.

Deleted
    There seem to be some misconception here. You are NOT allowed to ban only burqa (unless it is some kind of occupational hazard). You are however allowed to ban all religious symbols and clothing on the workplace, and by doing so you don't discriminate certain religious beliefs compared to others.

wrong understanding of religion. There is no verse in islam asking women to hide their faces.
    If its not religious why do these people claim their religious freedom is oppressed when they cant wear it. Maybe someone should tell them its a cultural thing.

Would never happen in the US and proves why people who later became Americans left Europe for freedom.

An employer should be able to tell his employees what they can, and cannot wear in his establishment. They should also be able to decide what customers they take and/or refuse.

15+ Year Old Account
    wrong understanding of religion. There is no verse in islam asking women to hide their faces.
    Oh so you saying they are false muslims?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    "and other religious symbols"

i dont see a problem with this, i'd only have an issue with it if it was targetting only one religion, or having others exempt from it.