Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Send stronger mutants that registered and want to serve the country.

This isn't a human vs mutants. It's humans + good mutants vs bad mutants.
    In the 90's XMen cartoon, nefarious government agents used the Mutant Registry to test their super awesome mutant hunting mechs on, just for the sake of testing that the mechs could hunt down capture mutants that were registered.

So much for Humans + good Mutants vs bad Mutants theory... But then again, it is a Cartoon.

But unless the Government can promise that Mutants on registration wouldn't be needlessly prosecuted/persecuted, there should be no talks of said registry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes definitely. Especially shapeshifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You people and your mental gymnastics. That wasn't what I meant, but you needed something to argue against, so you made up a strawman.
    No straw needed here.
    What the fuck is the difference between a teenager buying any kind of firearm for any reason and a child developing eye-lasers in his teens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Considering your example of a mutant-vs-mutant fight that destroys an entire country, it's safe to assume one or both parties in this fight do not care for other people's lives. With that in mind, how is that fight end any different if it were to normal people, both with little to no care to civilian/innocent lives, both with access with heavy weaponry (armies or tanks or missiles or nuclear bombs, etc)?
    That's the damn point. Normal people already have to deal with the law and the consequences, and the fact that we're all on equal footing. (Hence the previous armed teen against eye-laser teen...helps to even things out)
    Or are you implying in some fantastic way that nukes are being used in war today? They're not. All the checks and balances apply. And the same should to any one person that can destroy a city block at a thought.

if a baby was born with eye lasers then it seems reasonable that the babys body also developed a system to check itself to prevent "laser sneezes"
    it's like when we get sick, we get a fever; our bodies raise our temp above 102, to kill an infection, we (our bodies) are capable of that, but we cannot actively/consciously "make it happen" or we may accidentally kill ourselves by cooking our brains.
    a baby with eye lasers would certainly have a mutated brain which created a mechanism to regulate said eye lasers.

and thats the fun about mutations: you never know and so you try and argue from what you do know, and in this case we know that bodies develop all sorts of checks and balances (literally; the check marks in your cheeks balance your eyes with your brain!)

take for instance a mutant with phenomenal brain capabilities and for the sake of argument has an IQ > googleplex factorial.
    What would YOU seriously hope to do with that?
    A mutant of that type would rewrite the universe,...and you want to make them tell you where they are gonna be for the weekend?

As far as any of us know, we live in the fabricated reality of such a mutant. an all powerful being thru whose benevolence we all exist.
    our every actions? machinations of said brain.

Quote Originally Posted by brimdog View Post
    if a baby was born with eye lasers then it seems reasonable that the babys body also developed a system to check itself to prevent "laser sneezes"
    it's like when we get sick, we get a fever; our bodies raise our temp above 102, to kill an infection, we (our bodies) are capable of that, but we cannot actively/consciously "make it happen" or we may accidentally kill ourselves by cooking our brains.
    a baby with eye lasers would certainly have a mutated brain which created a mechanism to regulate said eye lasers.
    No. It's not about a body regulating itself. It's about regulating his/her willingness to use such weapons. Or do you really think if a teenage brawl kicks in s/he won't use such abilities?
    Or how how about a little "mental domination" on one of the more desirable cheerleaders?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No straw needed here.
    What the fuck is the difference between a teenager buying any kind of firearm for any reason and a child developing eye-lasers in his teens?
    Your strawman implies that, with "mutant registration", it means anyone without registration would have their powers removed if caught by the law. Powers or no powers, law or no law, both can equally as easily kill you.

That's the damn point. Normal people already have to deal with the law and the consequences, and the fact that we're all on equal footing.
    So would be mutants, without the "mutant registration". They'd have to deal with the law and consequences.

Or are you implying in some fantastic way that nukes are being used in war today? They're not. All the checks and balances apply.
    All it needs is one psychopath to take control.

And the same should to any one person that can destroy a city block at a thought.
    Congratulations, you just invalidated your own original example.

Yea lets open the door to registering people based off their dna.

That's a good idea...what could possibly go wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    Oh, hey man great news nobody even cares about that now. In fact, it's as boring as liking the color yellow.

I still stand by you as you struggle to overcome the increasing challenges of being a white male, in any case. /\
    You're quite wrong about that.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I think you would have to have some sort of list of mutants and their powers. I don't think they would need to be tracked but we should be aware of their capabilities. Just need their name and power.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I think you would have to have some sort of list of mutants and their powers. I don't think they would need to be tracked but we should be aware of their capabilities. Just need their name and power.
    Why does it matter. If It turns out I'm a walking nuclear bomb, what preventative measures is anyone going to take to stop me.

If It turns out I can shoot laser beams out of my eyes if I so choose, are people going to wear laser reflective clothing everywhere you go?

People want to know just because they want to know. We don't tell anyone when or if the military has nukes under their lawn controlled by humans, so why should we tell them if there's a nuke living next door.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    That is as retarded as a skin color registration act. It would never be accepted because there would be groups like blm rioting over even the idea.
    This would not at all be the same as a "skin color registration act". I find it difficult to agree or disagree with a "mutant registration act". But it's certainly not the same as a "skin color registration act". Black people can't control metal with their mind and white people can't shoot laser beams out of their eyes.

Considering the fact that a lot of these mutant abilities would give people the ability to relatively easily get away with crimes, I feel like something would have to be done. I think inevitably there would be some great conflict. Considering human nature I would find it hard to believe that World War III would not start as a result of an X-Men type scenario.

I guarantee you that a lot of people would be using their powers to break the law. Probably at least 10% of them. And I think that's a very modest estimate. And of course the reaction to that would be that we need to place some sort of restriction on mutants in order maintain a normalized crime rate. That would of course lead to all the innocent mutants becoming outraged. That outrage would probably lead to more crime. More crime would lead to non-mutant citizens taking more and more extreme measures to protect themselves. It would just be a clusterfuck.

15+ Year Old Account
    Real life mutants with power similar to the X-Men would be extremely dangerous and fuck the World up completely. Even more so than it is now.
    I mean some of them would be capable of killing several thousand people with ease.
    Last edited by Dangg; 2017-03-14 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That's one of the worst ideas ever. No. Never. AS a member of a regularly discriminated group even without a registration act, I wholeheartedly repudiate any concept of a registry for any attribute of human life.
    Is the group you're part of capable of walking through walls, summoning lightning, or teleportation?

- - - Updated - - -

*sigh* Not my skin color. I'm gay.
    What sort of superpowers do gays have?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    As a white male myself, at this point in time I feel like the most oppressed group in history ever. Us white males have it worse than slaves ever did.
    At this point in history, "slavery" is a pretty pathetic excuse for anything. I'd guess 50% or more of all people in the world could trace their ancestry back to a slave. That is unless you're literally a slave today... since they still exist.

15+ Year Old Account
    *sigh* Not my skin color. I'm gay.
    I don't see it how that's compatible to being a living weapon of mass destruction.

What about non-mutants with Super Powers? Keep in mind that when the Mutant Registration Act was first conceived of in the comics...mutants weren't the only Super-Powered individuals running around causing trouble...yet the legislation was specifically against them.

What about someone like Tony Stark that can build combat suits that give humans capabilities above 99.9% of the mutant population?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Making up whatever numbers you feel like isn't actually an argument.
    I'd provide some actual statistics for you, but googling "what percentage of people are descendants of slaves" only seems to show results specifically referring to statistics on the percentage of African Americans who were descendants of slaves from the American slave trade. I can't find anything for the life of me (through a google search) on statistics specifically referring to anyone who descended from any slave from any time period.

I welcome you to try and find something. I'd actually like to know.

Edit: I found this: http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194375

It references a broken link, but seems to suggest that the vast majority of people have ancestors who are both slaves and slave owners. Not exactly a reliable source, but that does sound about right.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2017-03-14 at 07:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Easy to "no" when there is no Brotherhood of Mutants out there killing Homosapians simply for being human.

I see people saying "NO" who have called for a gun registry, but a registry for people who could say turn playing cards into bombs at will, not needed?

It would be messy and less than ideal but I think it would be a necessity.
    By that logic we should register all Muslims? Just because a small number of people from a specific group repeatedly do something bad, does not mean that the rest of the group should be treated as potential criminals. That just helps out recruitment for the terrorists because you start to become what they are telling their people you already are.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    "I can't find anything to back up my claim" isn't a free pass. I'm also not going to waste my time trying to figure out the exact number because I don't care. That's your responsibility as the person claiming it to be true.
    This is an internet forum. No one is responsible for jack shit other than following the forum guidelines.

That said, see my edit. I found something. Not exactly a reliable source, but it suggests that the vast majority of people are descendants of both slaves and slave owners.

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194375

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    What about non-mutants with Super Powers? Keep in mind that when the Mutant Registration Act was first conceived of in the comics...mutants weren't the only Super-Powered individuals running around causing trouble...yet the legislation was specifically against them.

What about someone like Tony Stark that can build combat suits that give humans capabilities above 99.9% of the mutant population?
    That one was called the "Superhuman Registration Act" from civil war, but I feel like you probably knew that...

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    That one was called the "Superhuman Registration Act" from civil war, but I feel like you probably knew that...
    Indeed...but that was only thought of years (in comic books time...decades in real world). I'm talking specifically about the acts that were raised against Mutants and only mutants...in spite of other super-powered individuals running around that were just as dangerous. It's hard to call these bills anything but "mutantphobia"
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2017-03-14 at 07:36 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I know the original question was probably intended as moralizing, but I'm just the guy to get caught up on technicalities. Like how do you define a mutant when every single human has a different genetic code? Who would establish a baseline and how? How much deviation would be tolerated, bearing in mind that 99% of human DNA is shared?