Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    I agree with the ruling. In Western society this kind of symbol of oppression should not be tolerated.
    Oh the new SJW claim is that some of the women enjoy wearing it and it empowers them.

Quote Originally Posted by gyrados View Post
    pretty much even tho the burka is a sign of oppression lol
    For many people it's cultural garment at this point. Which is why Muslim women are free to wear it in private if they so desire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering it counts all religious, political and philosophical signs, I don't really see any problem. If burqas got banned but yamicas were fine, then it would be pretty dumb.

What about onesies? Can we get a ban on those too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Ah yes, the good old "Only 'Murica does freedom!"-trope...

US barely cracks top 20-ranking among nations overall freedom rating
    But... but first amendment? And land of ze free? Are you telling me US doesn't have monopoly on the concept of freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If it's evenly-applied, then it's not discrimination. Seems simple to me.
    Obviously not simple to everyone. Some see discrimination of Muslims here. And possibly everywhere. The truth is out there. Even though other parts of labor law (as well as other parts of the ruling itself if what I read in other source is right) outright prohibit an uneven application of this and unlike few types of work discrimination, this would be piss-easy to prove in court (then again momentary rise of right wing parties somehow transplants to European courts because reasons) because a photography of a coworker of other religious with their head-wear still on (or having a cross necklace or whatever) is extremely easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    A boss can fire an employee for every reason possible. There is no law needed to allow companies to ask for a dress code.
    At will employment isn't really used in EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    It more just gives a precedent so that if in the future someone complains they were discriminated against because they couldn't wear their religious clothing to work, it can just be referred to this, at least thats what i understand from it.
    Continental legal system doesn't use precedents. It just clarified existing law. Other than that, yeah, no one can sue over that now (unless an employer tries to use that only against employees of specific religions). And given how it was unclear to the point it required a national court referring a question to the ECJ, it did change things in a way.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Would never happen in the US and proves why people who later became Americans left Europe for freedom.
    Would never happen in the US because chances are a good majority of the people that wear a burka are on the no fly list so they wont actually get there in large enough numbers to make this an issue... Before you bash other countries laws and policies, maybe you should consider your own countries take on such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Well that'll never happen in our country because we have freedom of religion, so you can't ban people from wearing crosses.
    That literally has nothing to do with freedom of religion.

You also have the freedom to work somewhere that doesnt limit your religious garb. No one is forcing anyone to work anywhere

I'm generally for it when it's in cases where you need to be identifiable, but I can see the logic for workplaces in general. Workplaces typically have uniforms or dress codes, and if your religious garb conflicts with the uniform in a way you can't negotiate a compromise with, that's too bad.

Consider the following made up example:

crazy person: I want to go to work with underpants on my head
    employer: No.
    crazy religious person: I want to go to work with underpants on my head. It's part of Pantism.
    employer: I guess I'm forced to under nondiscrimination laws, come on in.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-03-14 at 08:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    That literally has nothing to do with freedom of religion.

You also have the freedom to work somewhere that doesnt limit your religious garb. No one is forcing anyone to work anywhere
    Wouldn't this fall afoul of sexual harassment laws though ?

If every place can now decide to have its employees strip at random because they disagree with their morality, you no longer HAVE that freedom of employment.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They can, but the optics of doing so won't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Wouldn't this fall afoul of sexual harassment laws though ?

If every place can now decide to have its employees strip at random because they disagree with their morality, you no longer HAVE that freedom of employment.
    So employers shouldn't have dress codes?

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Yes, but discrimination isn't necessarily racism.

So, what was your point again? Because all I read was this:

What obvious logic that I missed hides behind this?

Aye, which is why I said the title was misleading.
    My point was, if a company doesn't have a dress code and the employer bans a headwear, or cross necklaces, it's discrimination.
    I don't understand why people have so much trouble grasping this very simple idea.

And my comment on black people was a hint to the " great Western culture" part of his post.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    "Banning all religious clothing, etc, under some circumstances is not against European law."

That's not the same as being allowed to ban burquas.
    Ok, it applies to employers only and covers everything related to religious garb.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    My point was, if a company doesn't have a dress code and the employer bans a headwear, or cross necklaces, it's discrimination.
    I don't understand why people have so much trouble grasping this very simple idea.

And my comment on black people was a hint to the " great Western culture" part of his post.
    Employer needs reason, but the he could impose the new rules immediately then.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    This reminds me, when Afghanistan was more progressive and outright banned burqas it upset a lot of women
    And Iran, and Turkey. Actually I can argue the current state of these countries are direct reaction to those decisions.

This is an interesting ruling - a burka is NOT a religious sign, so it should not be bannable by their ruling. It is an outfit.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The Bible has many similar passages, we just tend to ignore them.

Hair coverings, shawls and the like were very common in the West until pretty recently. The irony is that the hatred of the burqua et al is a culture shock from a society that's gotten so used to liberalism in the last few centuries.

It has to do with Jesus dying for our sins. Essentially when he did that we no longer had to follow the rules laid out by the old testament. Well, unless you want to use it as a reason to discriminate against someone else.

I wish we could ban all religious shit in public. Religion should be a personal matter. Fuck prayer at school and crosses every goddamned where.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    This is an interesting ruling - a burka is NOT a religious sign, so it should not be bannable by their ruling. It is an outfit.
    by virtue of a dress code burqa is bannable as every other clothing or piece of clothing too. the ruling is for employers, not for government to regulate personal lifestyle ( unless government is the employer, but it's still limited to work place)

Deleted
    Terrible. People should be allowed to wear what they want in the workplace.

There's no argument for banning burqas other than racism and xenophobia.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Terrible. People should be allowed to wear what they want in the workplace.

There's no argument for banning burqas other than racism and xenophobia.
    dresscode >>>> religion. always !