Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Oh, we do?

No, that's merely what you assume.

Yes, a Turkish hijab fits loosely around the forehead creating a kind of cap, while a Moroccan hijab hugs the forehead tightly. You have pink ones, black ones, blue ones and polka-dot ones, Ferragamo ones, GAP ones and C&A ones. Would you care to explain why this is relevant to the conversation?

Do you cry harassment when your employer asks you to wear a tie to work? Do you think religious people deserve special treatment? I don't. Companies have the right to implement a dress code and you are obliged to respect it if you want to work there, whether you're religious or not.

This reminds me of a guy that refused to cut his rasta hair and cried "racism" when his application was denied.

It's so easy to take distance from any responsibility when you have the racism card to play and that card is played a lot.
    First one is hijab in Tehran, second one is in riyadh.
    Very much just different colors./s

// removed the pictures because I don't know if people in those pictures want them to be shared here or not, just google "Hijab in Tehran" and "hijab in riyadh"

Of course these are two extremes, there are other forms of hijab being used by Muslims as well.

PS. I'm not defending or attacking any of these, just pointing out that hijab is not the same in different regions.
    Last edited by HumbleDuck; 2017-03-15 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by general1992 View Post
    Secularism has been a thing for a long time, also in dress codes. That is why you barely see any Christian religious symbols either - they are already removed from the work places. Muslim symbols are a much more recent attire in Western Countries, and it is simply being treated the same way other religious symbols have been treated for a long time. It isn't because burqas or head scarfs should disappear altogether, it is because Islam should not be treated better than other religions.

- - - Updated - - -

Which law?
    Belgian Law, it is not allowed to cover your face, I think France has a law too and in Morocco I know sales are banned so I assume wearing it is not allowed there either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I repeat, check your sources. The reply was based on this remark:

You can't just present some assumption as a fact, merely because said assumption has a minor element of truth hidden in it. Furthermore, the law isn't aimed at burqas, niqabs or muslims in general, but at anyone covering their face.

You people seriously need to work on your comprehensive reading skills. The assumpions made in these knee-jerk reactions are rather appalling.
    What I ment was that the Belgian woman from the article was wearing a headscarf and not a niqab or burqa since those can't be worn in Belgium because it is forbidden by law to wear those. I didn't say the law was aimed at muslims, merely that those can't be worn, just like you can't wear hockey masks in public on days that are not halloween or carnaval but that didn't seem relevant to discussion about this article.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I don't blame it on Islam, I agree with you on this - that's why I said "ideologies" and not Islam. Christianity is as bad. So is Judaism and Hinduism and whatever are the next 10 religions with the most infected.

it's just Islam is the current go to ideology for extremists so it makes no point focusing on any other.
    Well, in that I agree with you as well. I just think it's sad, since religion lends itself to being abused like that but really has only the best of intentions: Sort simple folks daily lives and give them guidelines to what is considered "good living". Some people need that. And you and I would rather take that away from them than figure out a different solution? I can see how that's a bit unfair.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    PS. I'm not defending or attacking any of these, just pointing out that hijab is not the same in different regions.
    In Iran its a chador, not a hijab, so they would obviously be different. Its similar type of garment but not the same (think capris vs regular pants), and the chador is basically exclusive to Iran in general usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    In Iran its a chador, not a hijab, so they would obviously be different. Its similar type of garment but not the same (think capris vs regular pants), and the chador is basically exclusive to Iran in general usage.
    Google hijab in Tehran.
    Chador is by no means dominant form of outfit in Iran.

Google hijab in Tehran.
    Chador is by no means dominant form of outfit in Iran.
    1. You know that we'll get different results, or the results in different order, for independent Google searches, right? I just tried it, the images were predominantly chadors.

2. I did not say it was the dominant outfit in Iran. I said its general usage was basically exclusive to Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    1. You know that we'll get different results, or the results in different order, for independent Google searches, right? I just tried it, the images were predominantly chadors.

2. I did not say it was the dominant outfit in Iran. I said its general usage was basically exclusive to Iran.
    1. Yes, I linked an image, but removed it later. Generally speaking, most dominant form of hijab in Iran is sort of a panchoish dress and a very loose scarf. Probably you can call it a very liberal Lebanese Hijab.

2- chador is being used in Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, some regions of Turkmenistan,...
    Practically in most of the former "safavid" ruled parts of middle East and Central Asia there is some outfit similar to chador.

2- chador is being used in Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, some regions of Turkmenistan,...
    Practically in most of the former "safavid" ruled parts of middle East and Central Asia there is some outfit similar to chador.
    I stand corrected, I've always read it was rarely worn outside of Iran. You win this round Glenn.

Anyone else worried about the anti-Muslim sentiment rising in europe? Banning head-wear is all good and well, but the reaction from the far-right of both Europe and the USA seems to be disconcerting at the very least. It's seemingly emboldened the people who hate 1/5 of all people on the planet (you know, the Muslim population), likely the same crowds feeding off of Brexit and Trumps presidency. It's one thing to have a court ruling, it's another thing when that court ruling inspires people who think ripping headscarves off of Muslims is already acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlizzardCS
    We're aware that some players are experiencing latency and server stability issues, and are investigating. Thanks for your patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kena Lea
    @BlizzardCS not being able to connect to anything is a bit beyond latency dear.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Do you wanna get infracted? Cause that's how you get infracted
    Well of course. This is against Endus' political viewpoint and must be silenced. He protects us all. Censorship is virtuous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    Pretty sure they are banned in public in Belgium and France.
    Those damn fascists /ironyoff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I don't blame it on Islam, I agree with you on this - that's why I said "ideologies" and not Islam. Christianity is as bad. So is Judaism and Hinduism and whatever are the next 10 religions with the most infected.

it's just Islam is the current go to ideology for extremists so it makes no point focusing on any other.
    None of these religions/ideologies is bad in itself. It is all about interpretation. When a nation like Iran looks for any excuse to bash evil Jews and evil West and blame them for all their problems, then, no matter what religion/ideology they follow, they will find a way to twist it in a way that supports their narrative.

I mean, all religions are inherently bad in that they are not based on logic/pragmatism, but on fairy stories and wishful thinking... But the outlet doesn't have to be negative. There are people like Nick Vujicic, who use their religious beliefs to empower their charity cause - and then there are assholes like KKK, who use their religious beliefs to promote hate and violence. It doesn't even have to be religious beliefs, it can be any political ideology, any social ideology, anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Pff will link it again and is the difference a proper argument and what you just did, I already linked this article before and I will do this again but this is what a actual argument looks like instead of making wild claims without backing it up with a single bit of proof.
    I don't see how that BBC link is proof of anything, they don't give us any way to read or research their data.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    None of these religions/ideologies is bad in itself. It is all about interpretation.
    I'm going to stop you right there. Ideologies do not exist without interpretations made by people following them. Interpretation is ideology.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    I don't see how that BBC link is proof of anything, they don't give us any way to read or research their data.
    A article by the BBC, a respected news organization, is allot more then what the ''other side'' provided which is bloooody nothing.

But to put it simpel I trust the BBC based on their history that the stories they publish are accurate and upheld by journalist standards .

On the other hand if I took a article from Fox or breitbart I can't assume even a fraction of that based on their history of reporting and lack of journalistic standards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    A article by the BBC, a respected news organization, is allot more then what the ''other side'' provided which is bloooody nothing.

But to put it simpel I trust the BBC based on their history that the stories they publish are accurate and upheld by journalist standards .

On the other hand if I took a article from Fox or breitbart I can't assume even a fraction of that based on their history of reporting and lack of journalistic standards.
    I'm sorry but I don't take your opinion into any consideration when discussing facts and data.

You declaring your media bias and saying that you blindly trust the BBC is scary as all hell, makes me trust you and them less.

And I am never going to trust a journalist at face value, I have no idea of how they researched this topic.
    Last edited by mmocbf3af6dcb2; 2017-03-16 at 08:54 AM.

Something tells me the people shouting for victory would feel differently if this ruling were wearing a cross.

Quote Originally Posted by general1992 View Post
    Secularism has been a thing for a long time, also in dress codes. That is why you barely see any Christian religious symbols either - they are already removed from the work places. Muslim symbols are a much more recent attire in Western Countries, and it is simply being treated the same way other religious symbols have been treated for a long time. It isn't because burqas or head scarfs should disappear altogether, it is because Islam should not be treated better than other religions.
    It's probably different in Europe, but in the Southern United States you could walk into five random businesses and three of them will have a cross on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    Something tells me the people shouting for victory would feel differently if this ruling were wearing a cross.
    Assuming is a nasty thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't take your opinion into any consideration when discussing facts and data.

You declaring your media bias and saying that you blindly trust the BBC is scary as all hell, makes me trust you and them less.

And I am never going to trust a journalist at face value, I have no idea of how they researched this topic.
    Our society is based on trust, I trust the BBC based on their history that they try to report accurately and if they make a mistake that it's not their intention.

Then on the other hand I don't trust Breitbart where the mistake is intentional

What is more scary is you're distrustful and angry attitude, or the right in general tb. This is why you people believing in Pizza gate because they assume the worst all the time even when their is no need for it.