Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Mythic Star Augur

Since many guilds have/will reach him soon and he's quite the step up from the previous 7 I thought we needed a tips & tricks thread.

Looking at recent kills some are going 3 healers 2 tanks and some go 4 healers 1 tank. Can someone elaborate on the difference between these 2 and how does solo tanking work?

Also, how do you handle conjunctions? Since the nameplate addons will stop working on 7.2 do you think it's better to learn handling it in a different way if you start progress now?

Any other tips are obviously welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Zackie View Post
    Since many guilds have/will reach him soon and he's quite the step up from the previous 7 I thought we needed a tips & tricks thread.

Looking at recent kills some are going 3 healers 2 tanks and some go 4 healers 1 tank. Can someone elaborate on the difference between these 2 and how does solo tanking work?

Also, how do you handle conjunctions? Since the nameplate addons will stop working on 7.2 do you think it's better to learn handling it in a different way if you start progress now?

Any other tips are obviously welcome.
    Most guilds that I've seen do it with 3 healers, 2 tanks. The reason for that is that they want to push Fel phase before the 3rd Grand Conjunction, because it is relatively hard to learn and since it's 6 minutes into the fight, it costs a lot of time if you fuck it up (and you would, many times).

Some guilds are even lusting it, at which point you can, in fact, bring 4 healers and 2 tanks. One tanking isn't necessarily harder, the timing is just different and the tank will take a fuckton of damage in Fel phase (a dps will need to taunt for the tank to reset stacks).

Nameplates stopping to work in 7.2 is going to make it a bit less clear, but to be honest, the nameplate debuff is a bit overrated on this fight, I played it the first 100 pulls without it just fine, it's only in the last phase where it's hard to see, but there is a lot of time and space to do them anyway.

patience is the best advice. you'll lose people to the 3rd icy ejections, you'll lose tanks to absolute zero. you'll lose people to stacking Fel flames in Fel phase, you'll lose people to Fel nova. you'll lose people to world devouring force, witness the void, voidling melee attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSP3fB9FEGs

This is pretty much star augur progress for everyone I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    patience is the best advice. you'll lose people to the 3rd icy ejections, you'll lose tanks to absolute zero. you'll lose people to stacking Fel flames in Fel phase, you'll lose people to Fel nova. you'll lose people to world devouring force, witness the void, voidling melee attacks.

Reminds me of a video a friend sent me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIs-LTos3GI

solotanking isn't really hard but it more or less requires you to have a guardian druid or alternatively a brewmaster, though very few have done it as a brewmaster.
    Generally if your guardian is one of the better players in your guild you should go 1tank, otherwise go 2.
    If you go one tank you want to reset voidburst stacks after the 1st add by having really anyone taunt off the boss for you, you can do it after the 2nd add again but it can be risky due to a dps getting high stacks.
    Same can be done in Felphase, however I didn't need someone to taunt there for me, stacks will fall naturally at some point because of the boss's casts and it was manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Reloe View Post
    solotanking isn't really hard but it more or less requires you to have a guardian druid or alternatively a brewmaster, though very few have done it as a brewmaster.
    Generally if your guardian is one of the better players in your guild you should go 1tank, otherwise go 2.
    If you go one tank you want to reset voidburst stacks after the 1st add by having really anyone taunt off the boss for you, you can do it after the 2nd add again but it can be risky due to a dps getting high stacks.
    Same can be done in Felphase, however I didn't need someone to taunt there for me, stacks will fall naturally at some point because of the boss's casts and it was manageable.
    We 1 tank 4 healed the fight for our kill. (initially tried 2t 3h, but our prot warrior was getting obliterated so we swapped to 1t 4h after a few pulls.)

I didn't call for any stack resets in Fel phase (it'll naturally reset once, and the damage there is light enough that even with high stacks from the boss its not that bad at all). In the last phase, I had a ret taunt the boss in between add spawns to let my stacks reset and that worked out really well (no reset between the 2nd and 3rd add)

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post

That double blinking at the start of the video was hilarious

2 tanks 3 healers only help you with raid dps. 1 tank 4 healer is way easier for both tank and healers, but u need a bit more dps and not every one can solo tank it easly (bear is the best by far, brm is also capable, dunno about the others).

Quote Originally Posted by Halobob87 View Post
    2 tanks 3 healers only help you with raid dps. 1 tank 4 healer is way easier for both tank and healers, but u need a bit more dps and not every one can solo tank it easly (bear is the best by far, brm is also capable, dunno about the others).
    Is it worth doing 2 tank 3 healer if the other tank is a warrior?

Best piece of advice I can give is to not have people panic with conjunction. You have more time than you think to find a partner, just stand still for a moment and look around.

If possible have one person in charge of calling to be ready to look for the giant eyeball. We had several wipes where everyone simultaneously forgot it existed until we were about to die. Choosing verbal people to look at different Cardinal directions and calling a safe marker may prove more fruitful than everyone spinning their cameras. Minor thing but it may save some wipes that are at the back end of the fight.

Make sure people don't trap themselves in fire. YOU CAN JUMP AND DISENGAGE OVER FIRE AND NOT TAKE STACKS.

If you're one tanking, have the tank call their color if they get one, if it's blue in the frost phase you can hardly see it.

It should seem obvious but make sure everyone knows that this boss is a wall. It's simple in concept, but all 20 people can wipe the group. Just how Gorefiend and Mannoroth drained morale star augur can do it as well, so make sure morale is kept up and people don't start getting each other. Fights like this can bring out the ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
    Is it worth doing 2 tank 3 healer if the other tank is a warrior?
    Doing 2/3 is worth only if you would not have enougth damage to phase augur into void phase before the third conjunction.

If your main tank is a bear and your damage is high enougth, there's no reason to use 2 tanks.

What are the common pitfalls besides the personal responsibility of matching your mark?

Anyone have a numbers break down then of the DPS needed to get out of Fel phase before 3rd conjunction?

Is it better to lust phase 3 and get out with 4 healers, or is it better to 3 heal and lust phase 4?

I wonder if 7.2 will break the friendly nameplates before ToS will open...

That might screw people not yet on Augur.

Conjunction isn't that hard without the weak aura

Quote Originally Posted by Myztikrice View Post
    Conjunction isn't that hard without the weak aura
    Agreed, it just makes it a little easier to see. It's still fairly easy to see without it.

Hello,

We had our first real night of attempts on him last night. Could use some advice on the following:
    Tank stacks from Ice Comet - how are you dropping these reliably? What do you do with the one that overlaps a conjunction?

Healing Icy Injections - how do you handle these? We seemed to have a lot of death from them. Are people just standing in them and bad stuff happening, or healers not doing enough? We are 4 healing.

Frost Phase - are you getting to the 3rd conjunction here? We seemed to be reliably and were decently far off from not getting it.

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ulty=5&wipes=1

Thanks for any input!

Tank stacks from Ice Comet - how are you dropping these reliably? What do you do with the one that overlaps a conjunction?
    !
    This happens twice during ice phase. Have your bear druid pop CDs for it. You can easily live through 2 comet impacts but you need to clear right away. Remember the impact is physical dmg. It's not too hard once you get the hang of it.

Deleted
    Hello,

We had our first real night of attempts on him last night. Could use some advice on the following:

Healing Icy Injections - how do you handle these? We seemed to have a lot of death from them. Are people just standing in them and bad stuff happening, or healers not doing enough? We are 4 healing.

Frost Phase - are you getting to the 3rd conjunction here? We seemed to be reliably and were decently far off from not getting it.

Thanks for any input!
    We 1-tank (Druid) and 3-heal the fight. If you can pull that off, it ofc makes it incredibly easy to hit certain DPS threshholds and avoid some additional mechanic-combos.

1. We have melee standing really close together (just enough to not blow each other up with Conjunction) on both sides of the boss. The tank can at any time drop his debuff on at least 3 of them. If those players have to move out with icy ejection, it is good to have a ranged/healer be close to step in. Basically our Druid tank is so smart that she always hits 3 players if we give her a chance I think =)

2. Icy Injections hit for a shit-ton, even if the healers aren't sleeping. The first set should be easily doable. For the others people need to pop personal CDs and have their healing potion ready if they are below ~75% HP before the last tick. If they get it twice and they have no CD left, we have them call it out so they maybe get a heal more. Our hunters have trouble staying alive if their turtle is down, tho. And youcan absolutely not take a Frigid Pulse hit after you dropped your crystal (you have ~3 seconds to move out tho).

3. I don't really know he timing, but the most crucial thing for us was to avoid the 4th/5th (?) set of Icy ejections because we run out of space at the edges to drop them. I think if you don't have trouble with that, you phase him like we do (before 3rd conjunction as you said). Gonna take a look at our logs when I get home from work =)

Good luck!

Deleted
    Hello,

Thanks for any input!
    Hey

We did 1 tank 4 heals. We used a Blood Dk Tank. Our tank sat directly underneath the boss. He just edged out towards a group of 3 to drop his stacks. We had 2 markers like in hc. Only problem here is if people get an ejection and have to move out. However we have people get to the 2 markers if they dont get the conjunction to cover. This way there is always 3 people to drop stacks.

For the conjunction overlaps on the tank not much we can really do about it tbh. People going to the tank just need to time it well between comet impacts and iceburst. This is actually pretty difficult. With our strat and the way we use cds we can afford to Ancestral Res totem the Ejections and have it up for the conjunction incase people die to matching with the tank.

For healing Icy ejections healers need to be on point and heal enough that the last tick wont kill them.

For cds we do

1st set - 1sac 1 bark Heal the other guy
    2nd set - Rally cry + Personals + Immunities
    3rd Set - Rally Cry + Devo(Damage reduction) + remaining personals.

We are fortunate to bring 2 warriors here. Not everyone can but tbh personals and clever healers is enough to live if you get it. Hits by crystals will kill you and isnt really acceptable unless you can spam them quickly. Something common on progression was people not moving from crystal enough after ejection so i emphasized it during the first couple nights reminding people to move away from it asap.

For others we lusted in fel phase to ignore the 3rd conjunction and nova. The hardest part of progression for us was the 2nd void add. The 2nd flashbang from that add requires you to do Conjunction -> Big eye -> Witness the void all in 1 go. We pop the majority of our healer Cds here using nothing on the 1st add. Once you get everyone alive past this its almost guarnteed a kill. Just remember there is 1 large eye left in the fight which you need to keep looking for.

WE 2 tanked with Pally/Bear. Prot pally makes up for the lost healer in fel and spellwarding is super useful in all 3 phases. Frost it can be used to immune meteor stacks, Fel its given to a healer so they can stand still with ejection during a nova and void its given to a fury warrior during the last eye laser so he doesnt have to risk losing execute stacks or dying to the crazy raid dmg burst that happens at the same time with that eyebeam.

The pally also brings ~300k dps. The healing in Fel is super helpful since its mostly triage type healing while the bear handles all the meteors.
    PoV's for our kill (including both tank povs melee and ranged dps) can be found on our website front page (obscure-reference.net)