Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    From the article:

I hope they bleed them out.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-seek...dy-bots-maker/
    Greedy fucks.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    This judgment happened in a German court and the ban on Bossland (a German company) selling their bots in Germany also came from German courts. What makes you think these same courts aren't going to allow Blizzard to recover damages from non-U.S. assets most of which again is in Germany?
    I know about the german judgments, and it also is fairly certain that Bossland will default.
    That doesn't change the fact that you cannot collect damages from another country, in fact punitive damages as are common in the US civil lawsuits are not even considered legal in europe ("punitive damages awarded to one party in a US case would be difficult to get recognition for in a European court in which punitive damages are most likely to be considered to violate ordre public", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punitive_damages).
    It would be completely unprecedented that any EU or german court would allow them to collect it.

And Blizzard already tried to sue them in Germany in civil courts for the damages, but the court did not follow their reasoning in this case. You need to be pretty exact with the numbers when you demand damages in most civil law countries, and it's very hard to deliver evidence for lost profit. And this is why they sued them in the US, although it only serves symbolic values.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    I know about the german judgments, and it also is fairly certain that Bossland will default.
    That doesn't change the fact that you cannot collect damages from another country, in fact punitive damages as are common in the US civil lawsuits are not even considered legal in europe ("punitive damages awarded to one party in a US case would be difficult to get recognition for in a European court in which punitive damages are most likely to be considered to violate ordre public", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punitive_damages).
    It would be completely unprecedented that any EU or german court would allow them to collect it.

And Blizzard already tried to sue them in Germany in civil courts for the damages, but the court did not follow their reasoning in this case. You need to be pretty exact with the numbers when you demand damages in most civil law countries, and it's very hard to deliver evidence for lost profit. And this is why they sued them in the US, although it only serves symbolic values.
    Your own arguement is shown to be inaccurate in the very post you linked, as furthered by Ordre Public. As stated (with paraphrasing) "...would be difficult to get recognition in which punitive damages are most likely to violate Ordre Public."
    Now, as you and the person you replied to are in agreement that the cases were already settling in German courts against Bossland, there will be violation of ORdre Public and is probably one of the main reasons Blizzard is pursuing it.

Deleted
    I wonder if this is the same guy I knew during the early days of Wc3 (when eu people still played on US-west ).

Well it will be interesting to see what will become of the whole bot/cheater scene. Remember playing many games like Aion that got completely swarmed/destroyed by bots right after release.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Your own arguement is shown to be inaccurate in the very post you linked, as furthered by Ordre Public. As stated (with paraphrasing) "...would be difficult to get recognition in which punitive damages are most likely to violate Ordre Public."
    Now, as you and the person you replied to are in agreement that the cases were already settling in German courts against Bossland, there will be violation of ORdre Public and is probably one of the main reasons Blizzard is pursuing it.
    I really don't get what you want to tell me. There is no case known where damages that were ordered by an US court have been collected in a european country. The validity of punitive damages per se is doubted in civil law countries, and to be able to help via letters rogatory the foreign country must agree to the same case dependent legal principles.

Deleted
    Didn't they try it already like twice? And failed both times?

I don't see anything different this time. As I understand, case is still going.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support bots and would be happy if bot writers went out of business, but I'm not optimistic about those legal actions.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Should probably do the same to the classic server operators.
    waste of time/money. going after classic servers gives them a HUGE amount of exposure, and killing one just means 5 more will pop up in its place. they might go after the big ones once and awhile to protect their IP but the day will never come when private mmo servers are not a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    You do understand a large majority of botters are using compromised accounts funded with stolen credit cards right? This kind of fraud could result in Blizzard losing the ability to process credit card transactions if not kept in check not to mention the fact that chargebacks and fees due to fraud are significantly more than the cost of a sub. It is in their best financial interest to combat these activities and they know this which is why this lawsuit even happened in the first place.
    What I basically got from this was "You do understand the sky is blue and everything in my post quoting yours was nothing even related to the comment made"

Subs are in a decline, guilds are dying, people are quitting. Its pretty obvious. There was literally no reason for you to quote something and post something that has nothing to do with his comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    I wonder if this is the same guy I knew during the early days of Wc3 (when eu people still played on US-west ).

Well it will be interesting to see what will become of the whole bot/cheater scene. Remember playing many games like Aion that got completely swarmed/destroyed by bots right after release.
    Most other companies aren't as harsh/strict on bots as Blizzard. It won't affect the bot/cheat community as a whole. The Buddy team has fallen out of favor with most people lately anyway due to all their contract/policy changes the past year or so.

Deleted
    Because Classic server operators hurt blizzard as much as gold sellers. Oh wait they don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    They need to recoup the money they are losing on Legion some how.
    Try again. The expansion was profitable on day 1 just off legion sales. Costs are not what you think they are.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

LMFAO at the tin foil hat conspirators painting this as Blizzard desperate to get money back. If Blizzard releases a report they're doing well, "they're fudging the numbers" and if they do anything to protect their IP they're just "making up for losses." Thanks for the entertainment. Never change, MMO-C.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    Because Classic server operators hurt blizzard as much as gold sellers. Oh wait they don't.
    It's still IP theft. It's up to Blizzard's legal team whether they give a shit enough to go after private realms but inaction doesn't necessarily equate into complicity.

I agree with you here. Get a couple successful suits, and they'll start shutting down.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Subs are in a decline, guilds are dying, people are quitting. Its pretty obvious.
    I think you left out the part where it's raining blood and Mike Morhaime is ritualistically sacrificing virgins on an altar under a pentagram made entirely from the flesh of newborns.

Deleted
    Lets go after the server hop addon next.

Agreed. The current game would be amazing if there weren't legacy servers in existence.

/forum logic

- - - Updated - - -

I'd wager this is mostly about Overwatch, a basket that Blizzard is putting quite a few eggs in as it were. In any case, bots etc do much more harm to purely competitive games than cooperative ones.