10+ Year Old Account

MoP, WoD, and maybe Legion pattern

Hey everyone, I noticed there is a certain pattern when it comes to storylines in WoW recent expansions started in MoP and beyond.

In MoP the storyline was mostly about us discovering the secrets of the new uncharted land of Pandaria but then at the end of the expansion we got the start of True Horde/Iron Horde storyline which carried on in the next expansion WoD.

Now in WoD most of the storyline was about Draenor and the Iron Horde (there were some legion and demons stuff but it was very minor) until the very end we got the start of the storyline of the Legion which again carries on the next expansion Legion.

Now in Legion most of the storyline for sure is about the burning Legion but do you think we will get the same pattern as MoP and WoD? like in the last couple of patches it will be different storyline? like the start of the Void lords/Old Gods then carries on the next expansion? or maybe Azshara and her nagas?

Discuss please and thanks for reading.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think so. Many people have speculated and written that there have been clues to an impending Old Gods expansion. I definitely think that we will deal with the Legion somehow, defeat some big baddie (not sure on the details) and return to Azeroth to see the Old Gods rising again. I think the final Legion patch will start bringing it up.

So, yes. I agree. : )

We don't really have to. Legion can end like wotlk -> we kill main boss LK and it's over.
    So we can kill Sargeras and make it over.
    And then get pre-patch with nagas attacking shores of Azeroth or something... (like Legion invasions, but on the shores now)

Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, you could argue that this has been the pattern in WoW going back to Wrath. The inclusion of the Ruby Sanctum, the earthquakes that steadily increased in frequency as the expansion wound down leading in Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapefruitsnz View Post
    I mean, you could argue that this has been the pattern in WoW going back to Wrath. The inclusion of the Ruby Sanctum, the earthquakes that steadily increased in frequency as the expansion wound down leading in Cataclysm.
    I agree indeed but Ruby Sanctum was a minor raid compare to the likes of SoO and HFC.

Deleted
    afaik wod and legion were supposed to be part of the same storyline. When legion wasnt announced blizz said that the next expansion will build up on wod and I imagine they said something like that before wod was even announced, which is why they fit together like they do. I imagine they will continue this trend, simply because of il'gynoths quotes and stuff, but I doubt we will see old gods in any major way in this expansion anymore.

The big problem with that pattern is that last patch will be on Argus, so it will be heavily Legion-focused. We are unlikely to see any Azerothian threats there.

So, if the pattern is to be kept, either next expansion will be about something from Argus (or beyond), or the themes will only appear in some minor patch after Argus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    The big problem with that pattern is that last patch will be on Argus, so it will be heavily Legion-focused. We are unlikely to see any Azerothian threats there.

So, if the pattern is to be kept, either next expansion will be about something from Argus (or beyond), or the themes will only appear in some minor patch after Argus.
    Well Maybe Argus patch is not the last patch maybe it will be the Throne of Thunder/Ulduar of this expansion who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Well Maybe Argus patch is not the last patch maybe it will be the Throne of Thunder/Ulduar of this expansion who knows?
    I think it likely wouldn't. Personally, I would be very pleasantly surprised if Blizzard is going to release more than 3 major content patches, but I don't think it's going to happen. They have been sticking to that pattern since WoTLK, after all. That isn't to say that there wouldn't be anything to bridge Legion and next expansion - there probably will be, just that it's more likely to be world event (i.e: pre-Cata earthquakes), pre-expansion patch (every expansion since TBC) or a minor raid (i.e: Ruby Sanctum).
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    No, the intermediate patch is the Broken Shore/Tomb of Sargeras one.
    I expect Argus to have some small hints, like the worgen/goblin masks in Hallow's End just before Cataclysm, the datamined "Iron Horde" texture in SoO or the "Cloak of Suramar" drop from Kazzak in 6.2.
    In-game storyline hints may appear after Argus either in a small final patch or as side content (some questline or activity area outside Argus).

Read somewhere, can't remember where, that the devs said they wanted to connect stories between expansions

If they don't want the content gap they've been dealing with forever, I think it's safe to say we'll see a 7.4 "Aftermath" patch that will lay the groundwork for 8.0, as Argus in 7.3 is going to be laser-focused on wrapping up the Legion storyline.

I'd imagine it'll be something like 7.1, a "medium" sized patch. For example, there was some work being done on Zul'farrak early in the expansion's cycle. As that's the only existing Troll settlement that hasn't gotten a redux, and considering the Zandalari would likely play a major role in the South Seas expansion that Blizzard has been building to since Cataclysm and is reaching a crescendo in Legion, perhaps Zul'farrak 2.0 will be a major piece of content in 7.4.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

It's been suggested several times on the forum that we unleash N'Zoth in the Tomb of Sargeras and while we're on Argus, shit will hit the fan on Azeroth and once we're back we'll have to deal with Azshara and Old Gods. Personally, I hope that is how it will be.

To me, Cataclysm was a revamp to Vanilla parts and returned to the routes of say the whole blacker than black enemy, the flat out unreasonable evil, no ulterior motives just wanted his way and wreaked havoc to get it. Mists of Pandaria is a sidestep but if you consider that Pandarens were going to be the original Alliance additional race other than Draenei it follows that pursuit... Anyway, then Warlords of Draenor was like the levelling part of the Burning Crusade and then Legion is the later part with the releases of places like the dungeons and raids. It allowed in a way to explain the happenings in that area better when it had more time to expand and most likely the way they will go to get more expansions and explore the lore... Anyway Wrath of the Lich King came after Burning Crusade and well...

With Sylvanas being Warchief, Vol'jin dying (and interestingly could speak to the Loa and Zul'drak in Northrend is a nice troll place who lost/forsook their Loa and being a shadow hunter...), Val'kyr, E'yir/Odyn reminiscent of Ulduar, Bolvar using his loyal disciplines to gather four more horsemen, Ruby Sanctum re-appearing, probably more subtle things... I feel if we do get another expansion it's going to head towards Wrath since it's been going to be close to 10 years ago.