Page 1 of 68
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The regressive left needs to stop, the Colin Moriarty controversy.

I want to preface this by saying this is not about gender, race, etc. This is about a controversy and kind of about politics.
    ----------

If you don't know who Colin Moriarty is, he is a self-proclaimed Republican/Libertarian in gaming community/gaming journalism. Most recently in his career he co-founded Kinda Funny Games, a YouTube gaming channel.

A little while back on International Women's Day, some women started the #DayWithoutAWoman protest on twitter. In a incredibly harmless joke mocking this protest, Colin Moriarty made the following tweet:

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Moriarty
    Almost immediately a mass triggering occurred. People (especially among mainstream "games journalism") were accusing him of sexism, misogyny, even racism, somehow. His colleagues at Kinda Funny Games released an apology on his behalf (since he refuses to apologize, rightfully). A few days later he voluntarily resigned from Kinda Funny Games.

This kind of shit needs to stop.

Mr. Moriarty has described an outpouring of support he has received, but you won't see a lot of this support. He is getting it in private because people are afraid to publicly support him for fear they too would become a target of these absurd witch hunts.

Here is an interview Colin Moriarty had yesterday with Dave Rubin of The Rubin Report on the matter, I highly recommend you watch it in full:

I just wanted to draw attention to this because its getting ridiculous. It needs to end.

And no... I am not attacking the left, I am not endorsing the right... I am attacking the regressive left.

Colin Moriarty?

Anyway trying to not sound like I'm blaming the victim, he could have apologized and explained himself a bit but obviously that wouldn't work on the more rabid of his "critics".
    Last edited by Calfredd; 2017-03-18 at 05:26 AM.

The extreme left and the extreme right should be locked in a room and left to fight it out, with the event documented for the entertainment of future generations.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like what he is saying. It's a lot of fun when anti-regressives get together to chat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    The extreme left and the extreme right should be locked in a room and left to fight it out, with the event documented for the entertainment of future generations.
    I'm almost certain the far right will win that fight if we go by cliches.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Anyway trying to not sound like I'm blaming the victim, he could have apologized
    Except Colin did nothing wrong.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Well yeah. the far right is strapped. but even if we limit it to a melee, they've got the experience of beating bullies senseless, so an even fight's all but decided since shaming cannot be literally weaponized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, his comment WAS blatantly sexist.

He needs to own that, not whine about how unfair it is that people rightly pointed it out as the sexist remark that it was.

And yeesh, people, for folks who get so upset about people being "triggered" by an indirect sweeping insult like this, your getting upset is the same kind of triggering. It just has a lot less merit, since you're upset that a sexist was identified as a sexist, based on a sexist remark he made in public and won't retract or apologize for.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I think it depends on whether or not weapons are allowed or its a strict free-for-all-no-weapons brawl.

15+ Year Old Account
    All could be fixed if you stopped using social media. The worst thing to happen to mankind by making everybody a fucking busybody.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Mr. Moriarty has described an outpouring of support he has received, but you won't see a lot of this support. He is getting it in private because people are afraid to publicly support him for fear they too would become a target of these absurd witch hunts.
    "There are lots of people supporting me. I can't prove any of this because those evil leftists will attack them. But believe me, they really exist!"
    Last edited by Masark; 2017-03-18 at 05:42 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

He needs to own that, not whine about how unfair it is that people rightly pointed it out as the sexist remark that it was.

And yeesh, people, for folks who get so upset about people being "triggered" by an indirect sweeping insult like this, your getting upset is the same kind of triggering. It just has a lot less merit, since you're upset that a sexist was identified as a sexist, based on a sexist remark he made in public and won't retract or apologize for.
    See this is the problem... It was a joke.

He's not a god damn sexist... How can you even say this?

>Make a single dad joke
    >SEXIST

Endus you're the kind of liberal who fucked my kind of liberal over by getting Trump elected. The fact that you and your ilk haven't learned your lesson is going to fuck us over in 2020 as well. Meanwhile Trump is destroying the country, but go ahead and yell about stupid fucks saying stupid things hurting literally nobody.

I'm sorry but, this comment removes all nuance and intent from what he said. The intent of the tweet was humor, he is clearly not a sexist. People who react like this really just minimize real sexism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    All could be fixed if you stopped using social media. The worst thing to happen to mankind by making everybody a fucking busybody.
    So people should just end their careers and become a recluse?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    See this is the problem... It was a joke.
    Sexist jokes are;
    A> only funny to sexists, and
    B> still sexist.

He's not a god damn sexist... How can you even say this?
    Because his "joke" was obviously sexist? It literally demeans women. That's the whole "joke", making fun of women. Sorry, I don't see the humor. It's like making a joke about "how greedy Jews are", or "how dumb black people are". Those are just racist statements. People who aren't prejudiced don't find them funny in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    "There are lots of people supporting me. I can't prove any of this because those evil leftists will attack them. But believe me!"
    If you genuinely believe that doesn't happen, then I don't even know what to tell you.

Sexist jokes are;
    B> still sexist.
    Holy fuck.

Whelp here comes Trump 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    >Make a single dad joke
    >SEXIST

Endus you're the kind of liberal who fucked my kind of liberal over by getting Trump elected. The fact that you and your ilk haven't learned your lesson is going to fuck us over in 2020 as well.
    Oh, get the hell out of here with that. Prejudiced people getting upset when it's pointed out that they're prejudiced was not "why Trump won". If the put-upon bigot vote is that big in the USA, you guys have much bigger problems than Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Madshot789 View Post
    I'm sorry but, this comment removes all nuance and intent from what he said. The intent of the tweet was humor, he is clearly not a sexist. People who react like this really just minimize real sexism.
    It's not "I beat my wife for looking at me" sexist, but making a sexist joke isn't "okay" just because you're trying to be funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sexist jokes are;
    B> still sexist.

Because his "joke" was obviously sexist? It literally demeans women. That's the whole "joke", making fun of women. Sorry, I don't see the humor. It's like making a joke about "how greedy Jews are", or "how dumb black people are". Those are just racist statements. People who aren't prejudiced don't find them funny in the first place.
    So Dave Rubin is a sexist?

All of the people who wished him well and laughed at his joke on twitter, including a ton of women, are all sexist? I am a sexist?

Everyone but regressive leftists (literally the only people offended by this joke) are sexist?