Poll: Can a gif be a weapon?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Their doctor isn't telling them to stay off the internet. You know why? Because it isn't a problem 99.99999999% of the time. People with epilepsy aren't fucking stupid, I mean Christ. The very fact that this is news should tell you that this doesn't happen, or is extremely rare. "Don't go on the internet with epilepsy cause people might try to assault you" is about as stupid advice as saying "You shouldn't walk outside in sexy clothing as a woman, some people might try to rape you".

Here's what pedestrian Google search revealed on photosensitive epilepsy.

What Causes Seizures in People With Photosensitive Epilepsy?

Seizure triggers vary from person to person. But some common triggers are:

Flashing light
    Bright, contrasting patterns such as white bars against a black background
    Flashing white light followed by darkness
    Stimulating images that take up your complete field of vision, such as being very close to a TV screen
    Certain colors, such as red and blue
    Which can all be simpler described as "the Internet".
    I get it lady, you're very sure of what you believe in, but it's just plain contradicts reality and common sense.
    And you just equated disability and dressing sexy. You surely are giving some material to people that would ridicule women intelligence.

I voted no, because under normal circumstances a picture is generally just whatever.

However I am not oppose to case by case calls like the one in the OP. Hope the guy has the book thrown at him.

We have already established none of the amendments are absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's still assault, even if it happens to be a very creative form of assault. The guy purposefully sought to harm another human being, so there shouldn't really be any question as to whether this is assault.
    That is all. Is it assault? Yes. Is that illegal? Yes. End of question.

OP should post something truly controversial like "Is chocolate yummy?"

why you wanna know our opinions ? this a test for the fbi or something ?
    to keep an eye on us ? if there are no radicals in here or something ?
    you asking for our opinion is very suspicious

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Here's an idea. You said no moving images. Try going for 2 days without seeing a television, a cell phone, a computer screen, or anything like that. Go ahead and start now. We won't miss you.
    Are you not getting it all? I do not have a disability, why should I do that?! Ugh the sjws.....

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    The burden should be on mr eichenwald to protect himself from such images. He also has to prove that this particular tweet caused a seizure which is likely impossible as well as even if he can prove all that they have to determine if it's actually assault. Hopefully the kid lawyers up, otherwise this is going to have bad implications for free speech.

Imagine Trump being able to arrest anyone whose speech "harms him"
    This stinks of someone arguing in bad faith to backhandedly shit on freedom of speech. Either that or just outright stupidity, and I suppose the benefit of that doubt shouldn't be given. Seizures are no joke. This isn't fucking freedom of speech. You're using the same definition of "harm" as SJWs and running the other way with it. Good try, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

The fact that there are people who would actually defend someone who intentionally tried to cause a seizure in someone else would normally be unfathomable to me, but then again this is MMO-Champion, where no despicable/moronic viewpoint goes untaken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    The fact that there are people who would actually defend someone who intentionally tried to cause a seizure in someone else would normally be unfathomable to me, but then again this is MMO-Champion, where no despicable/moronic viewpoint goes untaken.
    Yeah but freedom of speech souls. It means you can do whatever you want, to anyone you want provided you say or write something first.

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    Say if I was to post a flashing picture here (which is completely according to the rules) and write something along the lines of "I hope I take as many of you to hell as possible" and there would be people with epilepsy here and they would have a seizure, are you saying I am to be held accountable?
    It's stupid, because it is INTERNET!!!! I swear this story s gonna be meme very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    Here's what pedestrian Google search revealed on photosensitive epilepsy.

Which can all be simpler described as "the Internet".
    I get it lady, you're very sure of what you believe in, but it's just plain contradicts reality and common sense.
    And you just equated disability and dressing sexy. You surely are giving some material to people that would ridicule women intelligence.
    If "the internet" in general caused seizures in photosensitive people there would have been no need to send a gif specifically designed to cause a seizure in photosensitive people.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The question is whether a gif can be considered a health hazard. Because the implications could be any speech I find negatively affecting me is a health hazard

- - - Updated - - -

I guess if a gif can be considered the same thing as a physical bomb, I would consider humans a lost cause
    It's already well proven that strobbing lights/colors can cause seizures. That isn't even a question. In fact Pokemon almost got into trouble over it for the porygon episode

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    If "the internet" in general caused seizures in photosensitive people there would have been no need to send a gif specifically designed to cause a seizure in photosensitive people.
    You know what jokes can there be on the Internet, right? A flashing picture and seizure threat is child's play compared to some things you can accidentally stumble upon in there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Say if I was to post a flashing picture here (which is completely according to the rules) and write something along the lines of "I hope I take as many of you to hell as possible" and there would be people with epilepsy here and they would have a seizure, are you saying I am to be held accountable?
    It's stupid, because it is INTERNET!!!! I swear this story s gonna be meme very soon.
    U
    Ohh I get it. You have no idea what you're talking about and just flailing about throwing shit on the walls until something sticks. I suggest you take a deep breath and actually learn about what's happened and stop being such an SJW.

- - - Updated - - -

You know what jokes can there be on the Internet, right? A flashing picture and seizure threat is child's play compared to some things you can accidentally stumble upon in there.
    "You deserve to be blown up"
    Sends a bomb in the mail
    "But he should've known not to open mail? It's the INTERNET"
    You just don't want to have to take responsibility for your actions and words.

You clearly have no idea what is gong on. He literally threatened someone with a seizure and sent a gif to cause one. This isn't a joke. Your lack of having any sense of decency doesn't excuse you.

This post is so misleading...

Of course this was an assault. He knew the guy's condition and deliberately exploited it. Even if its not fatal, its still assault.

Heck, its still assault just for threatening to do something like this.

No my argument is that speech is protected, the intent of the speech is irrelevant legally
    Tell you what. Go write a letter to the White House threatening to blow it up. Get back with us afterwards and tell us how "intent is irrelevant legally".

10+ Year Old Account
    If your actual intent was to cause epilepsy among people then yeah you should be held accountable.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

I'm not sure if you really are this ignorant or just pretending to be, but you can't just do anything you want on the internet and then say there shouldn't be any consequences because "it is INTERNET!!!!"

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/03/k...rest-made.html

Guy sends an animated gif to an epileptic reporter and has now been hunted down and arrested by the FBI. Are assault memes protected by the first amendment? What's next? Arresting psychosomatic people when someone dies in a housefire.

Please share your opinion
    Something intended to cause physical damage is not free speech.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Ok you didn't read the article at all. Stop posting in a thread if you have no ideas what's being discussed. It makes you look really stupid. Denying facts isn't an argument.
    Which facts presented am I denying? The only facts presented by the article are that @Jew_goldstein tweeted a gif that said "You deserve a seizure for your posts", and that he was arrested. Everything else being discussed is speculation and allegation.

"Eichenwald, who has written about being epileptic in the past, alleges he was the victim of a Twitter user seeking to induce a seizure in him through a GIF."

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Yes and yes. There you go, investigator. Top notch work. "How did they get his information"
    They sent his handle name to the authorities. Do you not understand how police get information, or?...
    Your two affirmative answers have yet to be proven. Thus, at this point, the answers are "no and no", being subject to change should more information become available.

And regarding @Jew_goldstein's information:
    "Eichenwald then said he would pursue legal action against the Twitter user, and later posted the legal papers filed in a Texas court of law seeking the information of the Twitter user from Twitter, though Eichenwald later withdrew the motion, saying he had found out the identity of the Twitter user through other means."
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Deleted
    I'm rather alarmed 20 people voted NO, WTF