Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As a former Subway employee the chicken used for the teriyaki is sketchy at best. It doesn't even have the same texture as other processed chicken products. Hell when you open the bag to prepare it it smells of cat piss ammonia.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    A franchise as big as Subway has a team of lawyers ready. If they don't sue for this, I have no idea what they would sue for at all.
    They won't sue if they have no way to refute the CBC's evidence against them.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    That's not quite how defamation cases work.

Me: Gorgodeus eats poop for breakfast.
    Gorgodeus: No I don't, I'm suing you.
    Me: Cool, prove that you don't eat poop for breakfast.
    Gorgodeus: I can't, because I don't.
    Me: I win!

Not how it works.
    That is how all law works.

The burden of proof is always on the Plaintiff. If they are unable to prove that what the CBC said was false, they will lose.

Your example has one glaring flaw: You did not show that you had lab proof that I eat poop. Thus I would not have to prove that your proof is inaccurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    People who are allergic to soy would have already sued Subway a long time ago after getting sick from eating Subway chicken for not disclosing they combined soy with their chicken.

Seems like a false claim to me by the CDC.
    By the CDC? Who is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Didn't Taco Bell go through the same thing a few years back. Someone said their taco meat wasn't actually taco meat and Taco Bell spent a shit ton of money to prove to people they use 100% beef and just add shit loads of spices and water ?
    Yes it's not difficult to get your distributor to change the ingredients to foil a lawsuit then change back to the cheaper one once any doubt is removed about what you are doing. Subway can do the same thing in this case. You always have the option to blame the distributor also to accomplish the same goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    By the CDC? Who is that?
    Sorry, meant CBC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Most fast food has soy in it. It's an extremely common filler. Subway admits to have soy in most of their products. It's labeled on their nutrition chart.

They are suing over the claim that it contains up to 50% soy.
    Straight from their site:

http://www.subway.com/en-us/menunutrition

"CHICKEN PATTY: Chicken breast with rib meat, water, chicken flavor (Sea salt, sugar, chicken stock,
    salt, flavors, canola oil, onion powder, garlic powder, spice, chicken fat, honey), potato starch, sodium
    phosphate, dextrose, carrageenan."

No soy in the chicken of the CBC article.

People allergic to soy would have sued Subway long ago.

That's the US site, but anyway... http://www.subway.com/~/media/canada...enchartcan.pdf

Soy all over the place.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, meant CBC.

- - - Updated - - -

"CHICKEN PATTY: Chicken breast with rib meat, water, chicken flavor (Sea salt, sugar, chicken stock,
    salt, flavors, canola oil, onion powder, garlic powder, spice, chicken fat, honey), potato starch, sodium

Right from their Ingredient Information for People with Food Allergies and Sensitivities PDF:

http://www.subway.com/en-ca/menunutr...ce3f650a6.ashx

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    As a former Subway employee the chicken used for the teriyaki is sketchy at best. It doesn't even have the same texture as other processed chicken products. Hell when you open the bag to prepare it it smells of cat piss ammonia.
    So the chicken was sketchy and you were okay with serving that to people? Ethics?

Sorry, meant CBC.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.subway.com/en-ca/menunutr...on/realchicken says otherwise. If you download the "Product Ingredients - Canada" Youll find:

CHICKEN CUTLET: Chicken breast meat, water, seasoning (sea salt, sugar, chicken stock, salt,
    flavours, canola oil. onion powder, garlic powder, spice, chicken fat, honey), soy protein,
    sodium phosphates.

CHICKEN STRIPS: Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, water, soy protein concentrate,
    modified potato starch, sodium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, maltodextrin, yeast
    extract, flavours, spices, dextrose, onion powder, carmelized sugar, paprika, chicken broth,
    vinegar solids, paprika extract.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    That's the US site, but anyway... http://www.subway.com/~/media/canada...enchartcan.pdf

Soy all over the place.
    He's not even right about the US. The US allergen chart has soy in all the same products, only difference is that don't have to label it since it's refined.

So the chicken was sketchy and you were okay with serving that to people? Ethics?
    He should also go around smacking cigarettes out of people's hands if he catches them smoking, since he's the god of dictating what people do, and all.

I ate it it was perfectly safe just something always seemed off about it...like spam.

I'm going to side with Subway on this, 50% is way to huge of a number and if they could pull it off then places like McD, Wendy, etc. would be doing it too in their products for increased profit. Also they wouldn't be able to even advertise it as chicken because if more than half is soy then it is a chicken flavored soy patty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    I'm going to side with Subway on this, 50% is way to huge of a number and if they could pull it off then places like McD, Wendy, etc. would be doing it too in their products for increased profit. Also they wouldn't be able to even advertise it as chicken because if more than half is soy then it is a chicken flavored soy patty.
    You can list your food however you want as long as the public is blind to it. Companies change formulas to products all the time. Having one with 40 or 50 or 60 percent soy makes no difference if nobody important questions it. You can take quorn, for example. It tastes like chicken and you wouldn't know the difference on your own devices. I don't think there exists any allergy to quorn so it's a great substitute and you don't have to worry about customers reporting being sick after eating it. See I just changed a formula.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-03-19 at 03:00 AM.

I wonder if they tested the chicken plain or with the added sauce that the teriyaki is coated in.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    They claim their chicken is "made from" 100% chicken, not "made of".

My kitchen table if made of wood. My piece of paper is made from wood. That makes a huge difference in the legality of the claim.

CBC claims to have done 2 separate tests tests after noticing the glaring difference between soy levels in Subway when compared to other fast food restaurants. It shouldn't be hard for Subway to refute their claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Right from their Ingredient Information for People with Food Allergies and Sensitivities PDF:

http://www.subway.com/en-ca/menunutr...ce3f650a6.ashx
    Because those examples are all on Italian Bread which contains soybean products. The chicken doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    You can list your food however you want as long as the public is blind to it.
    Labeling requirements are actually a hotly contested thing by food manufacturers. One example is Dinty Moore beef stew. They had to fight HARD to make sure "beef" was the first word on the ingredients list, instead of water.

- - - Updated - - -

Because those examples are all on Italian Bread which contains soybean products. The chicken doesn't.
    See the link I linked above.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh you could've just clicked the download link.

The chicken has soy. Funnily enough, you are wrong about the bread. It does not have soy. It has highly refined soybean oil which does not cause allergic reactions, and is not classified as a "soy product".

That's why the Italian Bread has a * instead of a bullet in my original picure..